Blocks & Decoration Decorative Mutations

Which of these would you use these in your builds?

• Coloured Ice

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Frozen Slime variant(s).

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Ebon/Crim/Pearlsandstone slabs.

• Stucco variant(s).

• Cactus block variant(s).

• Cactus furniture variant(s).

• By the way, I did some spriting for you...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kefke

Steampunker
Okay, okay, it's not a good title. I didn't know what exactly to call this. Here's the thing, though, Terraria has six special biomes, biome mutations if you will, that can be created through the spread of one of the "infectious" biomes.
  1. Corrupted Desert
  2. Crimson Desert
  3. Hallowed Desert
  4. Corrupted Ice
  5. Crimson Ice
  6. Hallowed Ice
Other than the look of the terrain, none of these do anything special. It just makes mobs from the respective infecting biome appear. I mean, the desert gets special mummies and sandsharks, but the mummies don't even get a variant for each biome type. That's not the point, though. The point is that these biomes are under-utilized!

Let's start with the most basic of basics; Pink, Purple, and Red Ice. Plain and simple, these should be able to make Pink, Purple, and Red versions of all the ice furniture. Not just furniture, either. Let's add Pink/Purple/Red Ice Brick and Platforms to that list too. Variants for frozen slime blocks? Sure, why not! While we're at it, you should be able to craft non-brick Ice Walls, too, so let's make that for all types of ice.

Next is the desert. The most obvious thing with a mutation here is the sand, which at least has some use. We can do better, though.

First up, let's add Ebon, Crim, and Pearl sandstone blocks. Make them at the Heavy Work Bench from the respective materials. Again, just a simple recolour, really, but one more aesthetic choice. We can also do variants of stucco the same way. What's that? There's paint for recolours? Red stucco already exists, and grey is close enough to white? Fair enough, let's spice it up a bit, and give them all a visual effect. For the sandstone slabs, let's give them a faint glow, and some occasional sparkles. For the stucco, make Pearly Stucco a brighter white, flecked with gold, and again add a bit of a twinkle. Crimson Stucco can be a more saturated, deeper red, and have a slight pulsating effect in clusters (good for making walls that look alive). Ebon Stucco doesn't actually need much, since there isn't a purple stucco already but make it a deep, glossy purple with a faint glow, just to match the Ebonstone and Demonite brick blocks.

There's one more resource we could be using, however. When a desert gets infected, the cacti change to match. When you cut them down, you just get normal cactus blocks, though. Wow! Magically purified! Let's change that. What if, instead, they dropped "Vile", "Mystic", and "Fleshy" cactus blocks, and from those blocks you could make everything that you can make with normal cactus blocks, in an appropriate variant form? Now, full-disclosure, I'm no sprite artist, and I'm not going to try to draw these (I'll gladly credit anyone who makes examples, though). I would imagine, though, that aside from the colours, these furniture variants would have slight differences in look to reflect their source material. For instance, Vile Cactus furniture would be more spiky looking, Mystic Cactus items might have flowers on them, and Fleshy Cactus would yield items with a slightly melted look, with strands of flesh hanging off of them. When it comes to walls, Vile could be slightly warped looking with some visible thorns, Mystic would again have tiny flowers, and Fleshy Cactus walls would sport eyes and mouths.

Sure, none of this would help you defeat the Moon Lord, but it could make for some really interesting bases, and add just a tiny bit more consistency with people's expectations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom