Discussion: You as an NPC

ViveeFox

Official Terrarian
What would you do as an NPC? For the purpose of this question, the name and appearance would be of your Terraria Character.

[Name] the [Role]

Spawn Requirements
Self-Defense Method
Hardmode Defense (If applicable.)

Misc. Enemy Interaction

Use 1 - Price/Shop
Use 1 Description/Items and Prices

Use 2 - Price
Use 2 Description

"Quote 1"
"Quote 2"
"Etc."
NPC Mention - "Quote"

Joshua the Slime Paladin

Dryad and Nurse must have moved in, player has at least 5 gel in their inventory.

Throws gel at foes to slow them down and lower their defense.
Hardmode: Throws pink gel, which has damage similar to the On Fire! debuff.

Slimes will not harm Joshua, and he will not see them as a threat.

Shop
Gel - 1 Copper
Pink Gel (Killed Pinky) - 50 Gold
Royal Gel (Expert, Post-Plantera) - 5 Platinum
Gel Dye (Has Dye Trader) - 5 Gold
Slimy Mushroom (Has Truffle) - 45 Gold - Summons a pet Pinky.
Slime Crown (Killed King Slime) - 80 Silver
Rainbow Brick (In Hallow Biome) - 10 Silver
Slime Cider (Party) - 10 Silver - (Sake in all but name and appearance.)

Rename Me - 1 Gold
Allows the player to change their name.

"From hence forth, you shall be known as [Name]! (After using Rename Service)
"Zzz... Huh?! I wasn't sleeping on the job! I was just... resting my eyes."
"What compelled you to shove gel on a stick, and light it on fire?" (Player has Torch in inventory.)
"No slimes were harmed in the collecting of this gel."
"I hear there's a rare pink slime out there somewhere... I'd love to meet it!"
"I'd tip my fedora if I had one." (Player is Female)
"The Hallow has an interesting effect on slimes, producing a unique pigment." (Hardmode)
"Woo! Party time! Crack open the cider barrels!" (Party)
"Have you seen any Golden Toilets? I need one for my collection."
"I'm sure it's delicious, but I don't want any jelly."
"I feel a certain kinship with [Truffle]. We both have something to protect."
"[Guide] flinches a bit whenever I mention lava slimes. Is he afraid of fire?" (Pre-Hardmode)

Stylist - "I wish Joshua would stop asking me to clean the slime out of his hair."

Aylia the Lumberjack (Alternate names; Tamorr, Syra, Drexle, Misty, Loren)

Requires: Dryad & Gunsmith, 99 saplings in inventory; possibly after hardmode initiated
--Default attack if not hardmode is chakram attack towards target.
Attack: Something like the demon sickle effect with lower damage that bursts outward in 8 directions. Short distances and takes a bit to cast, similar to dryad taking time before casting again.

Shop:
acorn 1cp
wood 5cp
palm 1 sp
mahogony wood 1sp
shade wood 1sp
corrupted wood 1sp
Hallow wood 5sp
Spooky wood 5sp (after defeat of morning wood)
Pine wood 5sp (after defeat of evil santa)
Leaf/wood wands 1pp
hive wand 1pp
--having tinker goblin
Random builder accesory (per day) default price

Note on Shop: if not hardmode then corrupt, shade, and hallow wood are not sold.

Quotes:
"I think you might be barking up the wrong tree, but I do offer a variety that I have harvested."
"I only selectively cut down what I need to provide the best quality."
"I can't believe that *gunsmith's name* shot at me while I was up in a tree he thought I was a squirrel."
"The view from up top is a splendor to see."
"I have always love the smell of wild, and that is the reason I don't just clear cut the forests down."
"Breathing is like sawing a tree down; beath in & breath out."
after hardmode
"The corruption/crimson is a rough place to find a tree, and the jungle seems to have gotten just as bad."
"A lot of spooky nights, and I thought a not see the day a tree would run from me."
"Ghosts? nah my sickle will keep them at bay."

Dryad:
"Not sure what to make of the new resident, but hopefully she will not cut too many down."
Gunsmith:
"I could have sworn that I might have found a nice meal in a tree, then it talked back to me?!"

Lille the Gardener (Alt. Names: Kayle, Vechi, Kelsi, and Samantha.)

Requires - The Nurse, and The Dryad, as well as a Staff of Regrowth; can be obtained pre-hard mode.

-- Default defense for non-hard mode would be her throwing a yo-yo at an attacker.

Attack for Hardmode: Using her ability to use innate magic she casts cursed flames around her in a circle for a few seconds, takes a bit to cast, and only works around her.

Enemy interaction - If an animal ends up in her room/house she will feed them, by throwing down something that they would eat. If a small creature like a slime or such ends up in her room, she will give the creature it's space so it can get outside.

Shop -
Seeds
Moonglow Seeds
Daybloom Seeds
Deathweed Seeds
Bottles
Waterleaf Seeds
Fireblossom Seeds
Blinkroot Seeds
Shiverthorn Seeds
Random Potion Everyday
Note about the shop: All prices depend on the value of the item. The random potion thing only happens in hard mode.

Quotes -
"Lots of people find gardening boring, but I assure you it can reward you well."
"I try my best to find these seeds without being assaulted by monsters."
"I think that (Dryad's Name) is very inspirational."
"I wonder if I'll ever get to make a garden."
"Sometimes I help (Nurse's Name) treat injuries with my potions I make."
"Gardening is the best way to get close to nature."
Blood Moon -
"Can't you see I'm busy right now?!"
"I'm trying my best to ignore you."
After Hardmode is started -
"It's been a lot colder out, have you noticed that?"
"I'm surprised that I was even able to gather seeds today."
"The (Crimson/Corruption) has gotten more vicious lately."
"I wonder if there are in herbs or seeds in the Hallow..."
After Mech bosses -
"The jungle has been awfully restless lately, I wonder why."
"Supposedly there is some kind of giant flower in the jungle, I wonder how it looks when it blooms."

The Nurse -
"(Gardener's name), sure is helpful, I wonder why such a nice girl was out by herself..."

The Dryad -
"That (Gardener's name) girl is very curious, perhaps it would be good for me to teach her some things..."

MinerTurtle the Miner

Golem has been defeated, found randomly in the Underground Jungle tangled up in vines.
Fights with a Picksaw

Isn't damaged as much as other NPCS by Jungle enemies (mainly to prevent instantly dying after spawning)

Seaweed (the pet summoner)
Just an easier way to get it instead of leaving it up to RNGsus

Turtle Pickaxe
Not as good as a Picksaw, but pretty close

Tortoiseshell Amulet
Adds a weak Thorns effect (can be tinkered with the Frozen Turtle Shell to get a Frozen Shell Amulet, combining the effects)

A random ore every day

Torches

Turtle Shells

When saved - "Thanks! The foliage gets kinda crazy here, getting tangled is easy."
"Y'know, why are the Lihzards bad guys? The could've just peacefully worshiped their weird stone idol thing."
"Like this pickaxe? I had it made by a legendary Lihzard blacksmith, before they hid underground and became all evil and stuff. We used to be pretty good friends."
"Working in the mines is hard work, but it pays well."
"Y'know, (Name of Witch Doctor) seems familiar somehow..."

Guide - "Miners can get lost easily in the depths of the Jungle. You should see if there are any who need help."
Merchant - "I wonder what that miner tastes like in a soup... Uh, you didn't hear that! Buy my stuff!"

Well, I have four characters I keep active, so I think I'll choose the one most suited to NPC status.

Juno, the Librarian (based on my Summoner character)
Considering that NPCs can have multiple different names, I'll pitch this as a list of some possible names. There is absolutely no pattern to these names.
Janus, Febbie, Maria, April, Maya, Juno, Julia, Augustus, Septentrion, Octavia, Nova, Decembre

She defends herself by hitting enemies with a big heavy book. In hardmode this gets upgraded to using one of the spells she sells.

She will be able to spawn once Skeletron is defeated, as then you will have access to the dungeon, which is full of books.

Despite the job title, what she runs is more like a bookstore. Among the things in her inventory will be:
- The generic "Book" item, like the ones found in the dungeon.
- "Book Switch", a wiring switch disguised as books that can be placed on a shelf (after the Mechanic has been unbound).
- Wooden Bookcases, matching the current biome she's in.
- The four Dungeon Bookcases.
- The Obsidian Bookcase (after beating Wall of Flesh).
- The Spell Tome item (after the Wizard has been unbound).
- Various new Magic weapons that are presented as books.
- A melee weapon, the "Terrarian Encyclopedia" (the same weapon she uses to defend herself).

Her lines will generally be about books, as you would expect. Including presenting her as an author.
The one line I've thought of:
"I wanted to write a book about crafting, but then I found out that [Guide] already made one!"

NPCs that will reference the Librarian may possibly include the Merchant, Angler, Party Girl, Mechanic, and Wizard.
One possible line:
Mechanic: "An instruction manual? I'm sure [Librarian] has one."
And in return the Librarian has the line: "Wiring? I don't have any books about that."

Charlie the Chimney sweep. Chuck, Chet, Chester.

Sells different styles of fireplaces and chimneys. Ice fireplaces produce blue light, marble fireplaces produce ultra bright light, and so on.
Also sells fireplace related furniture: stack of logs, poker shovel set...
Halloween he sells chimney sweep outfit that produces puffs of soot.
Christmas he sells milk and cookies and a soot covered santa outfit, possible wall hung stockings.

Attacks with a fireplace poker and upgrades to a flaming log in hardmode.
Shows up after 5 npcs arrive, and you have built a chimney and fireplace.

"I always know what to do when you have problems with ya flu."
"Worst chimney I eva cleaned was in the dungeon. Some big bonehead got stuck in it."
"Hey ya wouldn't happen to have cough cough cough hack hack cough."
"I got soot on [stylist] I thought I wuz gonna die."
"Wonder if [demolitionist] has anything to clear out a chimney."
"[Partygirl] is gonna to get me some scrubbing bubbles to clean wif"
"Why does the [clothier] want me to stay outa his room?"
[Blood moon] "I need to put up a secure grate on the chimney, or a lazer defense system."
[Party time] " Come on yall, lets do the chimney sweep shuffle"
Stylist: " I don't have a single comb that can get the tangles out of that sooty man."
Clothier: "No laundry mat anywhere in Terraria and we just hired a chimney sweep. Oh dear me."
Mechanic: "I one saw a dungeon guardian come flying out of a fireplace."

Back
Top Bottom