Do you use those silly "classes"?

Nutella Fairy

Skeletron Prime
Guys, Terraria is clearly NOT an RPG! Why do we need classes so much? I hate being forced to use one weapon type. There are really cool ranged weapons like the Piranha gun and Snowman Cannon. There are awesome melee weapons like Horsemen's blade and mushroom spear. There are great magic weapons like Magnet Sphere and Flower of Fire. And I just can't live without my pygmy staff. Who cares if your armor gives you a little damage bonus. If you like a weapon- USE IT. It's your 10 bucks. Enjoy the game. I use the wasp gun all the time but is it a. good weapon? HEYAL NAW! The only reasons I sometimes use classes is...

1. If you are in multiplayer, to avoid fighting over weapons

2. For a challenge, like @PythonGB 's playthroughs.

In conclusion, i don't want to be mean, but if you do, what draws you to use classes? and if not, feel free to discuss with me about the topic. RANT OVER....

Nah.

I rather min/max everything so my character is the most eficient possible in everything I want. Who cares about how "Cool" the weapon itself looks or works, so long as it is eficient?! Well not me.

The game does pretty much force you to pick a "Class", if you want to minmax, that is.

Even then, there are still those weapons that work well alone and go with everything. Namely, any Summoned Minion and the Nimbus Rod.

I don't bash on people who use "classes" since it's kind of like a personal challenge, like being a Vegetarian in Minecraft or one crew member in FTL: Faster than Light. I've never used them, though, since it seems silly to limit yourself to specific items. Plus, it'd probably get infuriating that you get an incredibly strong weapon...that is not for your class.

Idk if it's so much a challenge as it is being to lazy too fight but I pretty much exclusively use summoner things and traps... though I sometimes might use some other weapons that have homing properties like the bee gun, beenades & Scourge of the corruptor or lingering effects like the crimson rod, molotov or even a mushroom spear if I'm feeling daring, but I'm almost always building things that let me stand around and kill things with little actual fighting on my part.

Of course I use "classes". Why, you might ask, is because class-exclusive bonuses suit me perfectly. If I were to have an armour set that benefits me as a mage, then I definitely wouldn't consider wielding a sword in battle, despite a ridiculous damage output it may or may not have. Either way, I normally stick to one class because otherwise everything would be a lot more muddled, unbalanced to what it should normally be like, and strange to play without wasting away items and accessories.

Just saying, wanting to use items simply because you like it, regardless of efficiency [i.e. minmaxing damage and such], is a factor of roleplaying. That sounds more RPG to me.

Your statement would have been a bit more accurate if Terraria actually did force classes, making it impossible to change or mix classes. It doesn't do that, however.

Also, Wasp Gun is a good weapon. It can last you the entire HM dungeon and several waves in the moon events without mobility accessories, given you're aware of the fact that its strength increases tenfold with pure damage/crit bonuses.
It's not good against bosses, but it sure is one of the largest capable AoE weapons out there.

Last edited:
What I wonder is what you mean by "forcing".
Unless a set bonus makes you unable to use weapons of other classes, I often like to use a gun while wearing a melee set.

Of course I'm also that one person that does a class playthrough with every new world.

I kinda see where you are coming from with this. I like to play the game with whatever works best for me at that particular point in time, but sometimes it does feel as though You can't use your whole array of items for regular use. When I first started playing the game, when you got an upgrade in gear, you just used that gear and it was better. Once hard mode started however, I then had to worry more about the kinds of armor and accessories that I would use.

Pre hard mode, I usually ended up with boots, a lucky horse shoe of variant, and an obsidian shield. That meant that I didn't have many accessories that helped any particular class, but was all just general. Once I got wings though, I dropped the boots and horse shoe, and once I made an Ankh Shield, I combined even more. Then I was able to pick accessories that increased stats. The notion of a defined class became even more prominent when armor set bonuses rolled in and I found myself only holding weapons for one particular class.

This doesn't mean that I don't have sets for each class, but I only ever keep my main set on me at any given time along with my Terra Blade in case I run out of mana/ammo. While you aren't forced into a role, it definitely pushes you to use one type of gear over another at any given time. This is a large difference from early pre hard mode when you might use a ranged weapon until guys came in close, and them moved to a melee weapon, with conserving magic for emergencies.

as I said before, anyone can use any weapon with any gears and accesories, so no one actually force you to use nothing, but most player stick with a "class" is because it's efficient as end game events (moons) are not that easy, players try to get the highest damage they can, and mixing things is not a very good idea.

if by "silly" classes you mean trying to get the most damage from some weapons, to beat moon events, then yes, I use "silly" class with only one character starting as melee, I got bored, so now I'm pure ranger and it's very fun.

I don't see classes being there, just damage types, which all affect enemies the same way - unlike, let's say, classes in Fire Emblem, which use certain weapons and each weapon is affected by what weapons the enemy uses/their class, so you don't damage equally with all weapons.

I find the bonuses from armor to not be important to my weapon of choice - perhaps someone who's starting the game would.

Personally I think "classes" is a good way to set guidelines for yourself, for instance, knowing whether you need to buy an Autohammer or not. Also, sticking to one weapon type will make you much more powerful, as you can center your armor and accessory bonuses on one damage type.

I don't bash on people who use "classes" since it's kind of like a personal challenge, like being a Vegetarian in Minecraft or one crew member in FTL: Faster than Light. I've never used them, though, since it seems silly to limit yourself to specific items. Plus, it'd probably get infuriating that you get an incredibly strong weapon...that is not for your class.
I don't see it as a challenge. It's really hard to play without specializing. At least later in the game.

My must have in inventory,item's are my Crystal storm, true NE , picksaw, mushroom spear,and greater healing potions.

I don't see it as a challenge. It's really hard to play without specializing. At least later in the game.
I have to agree with this 100%. Going into the moon events without gear that boosts the effects of a particular class would severely lower your damage output and maybe even survivability.

I have to agree with this 100%. Going into the moon events without gear that boosts the effects of a particular class would severely lower your damage output and maybe even survivability.

Yes and no. There's the Avenger Emblem, Destroyer Emblem and Celestial stone which, in combination, universally boosts damage by 32% and crit by 12% (excluding modifiers). And then you have room for two more accessories, of which my most common are wings and cross necklace for general purpose. But you could take that universal boost up a notch during the moon events by equipping the moon stone for 42% damage and 16% crit.

Now, let's compare the former trio (Avenger, Destroyer and Celestial Stone) to a specific trio for one damage type. I'll use Ranger as an example, with the Ranger Emblem, Sniper Scope and Destroyer Emblem (since Destroyer is I believe the best in terms of DPS increasing accessories in terms of crits and damage). With that, you have 35% damage and 20% crit. Now, that 3% damage and 8% crit might mean a little something in the moon events, but I very much prefer to have an all-purpose set-up that makes my Nimbus Rod kick :red: even when I'm wearing Shroomite.

Class-specific armours might contribute significantly to damage for their type, but that 32% damage is more than enough to bump up most weapons to very decent damage levels.

And the ease of not having to bother to re-arrange a set-up because it works well in every way is quite comforting.

Edit: There was actually an interesting flaw that Hallowed armours had back in 1.1 (and still occurs now, but it's not end-game so no one notices). But, statistically, you gain more defence and Ranged damage by having menacing/lucky accessories and Hallowed Melee armour in comparison to Hallowed Ranged armour and warding accessories. You also get bonus universal and melee damage on top of that set-up.

Last edited:
Yes and no. There's the Avenger Emblem, Destroyer Emblem and Celestial stone which, in combination, universally boosts damage by 32% and crit by 12% (excluding modifiers). And then you have room for two more accessories, of which my most common are wings and cross necklace for general purpose. But you could take that universal boost up a notch during the moon events by equipping the moon stone for 42% damage and 16% crit.

Now, let's compare the former trio (Avenger, Destroyer and Celestial Stone) to a specific trio for one damage type. I'll use Ranger as an example, with the Ranger Emblem, Sniper Scope and Destroyer Emblem (since Destroyer is I believe the best in terms of DPS increasing accessories in terms of crits and damage). With that, you have 35% damage and 20% crit. Now, that 3% damage and 8% crit might mean a little something in the moon events, but I very much prefer to have an all-purpose set-up that makes my Nimbus Rod kick :red: even when I'm wearing Shroomite.

Class-specific armours might contribute significantly to damage for their type, but that 32% damage is more than enough to bump up most weapons to very decent damage levels.

And the ease of not having to bother to re-arrange a set-up because it works well in every way is quite comforting.
Those are actually some really good points, and I guess that I never took a deeper look when checking out the accessories. The problem though is that your armor still makes your primary weapon more or less set in stone. Even while I am playing as a Ranger I still use my Nimbus Rod as well as which ever Summoner item I am carrying, and I could increase the damage gained from those via accessories, but I still won't swap from the ranged weapon of choice. The +25% ranged crit, +15% ranged damage and +45% ranged sneak attack bonus from the Shroomite set means that I will never have a cause to pull out a melee weapon mid combat, or any of my magic weapons.

I see the Nimbus Rod, Hydra, and standard Summoner items as additional things that you can throw down no matter what "class" you are currently set up for because they are just auto added DPS. I think of them a lot like a buff of sorts. That still doesn't change the fact of being almost cornered into your primary weapon by armor set bonuses. Mind you this is only for end game content, and I swap between each "class" based on how I feel, but it does feel as though I am stuck with only a few options. I would love to see it like it was first starting out where a magic item was usually really strong, but you had to conserve mana, you had a bow as backup ranged damage, and a melee weapon for backup in close combat.

The problem though is that your armor still makes your primary weapon more or less set in stone. Even while I am playing as a Ranger I still use my Nimbus Rod as well as which ever Summoner item I am carrying, and I could increase the damage gained from those via accessories, but I still won't swap from the ranged weapon of choice. The +25% ranged crit, +15% ranged damage and +45% ranged sneak attack bonus from the Shroomite set means that I will never have a cause to pull out a melee weapon mid combat, or any of my magic weapons.

This is only if the fight is determined by DPS. But I always have just one primary weapon. The rest are support or incredibly niche.

For example, I could make use of the Terra Blade in sticky situations when many armoured skeletons decide to do a group hug with me because of its spammy nature and high knockback. Tactical Shotgun with explosive bullets has the knock-back (a :red: tonne, actually), but also has the potential to kill me just as much as them.

Back
Top Bottom