Map-Adventure Down the Well

On a scale of 1 to 5, how difficult was the map?

• Total voters

Darthkitten

Paladin
With the release of Terraria 1.3.1, I thought I'd try to do something fun. An adventure map! (aren't I clever?) Keep in mind it's my first one ever.

Dr. Enoch Hope, has recently found, that there's some treasure underground! He needs your help, to get it out, and so a labyrinth you must scout!
Will you obtain the three gemstones? Or will you die of broken bones?
Grab your sword, and grab your hat! All that dying stuff? Never mind that!

Hero, you've got a tale to tell! So start your journey...

eXahhyo.png

Well, that's enough rhyming. Let's get started.

JL9pfhX.png

m3EisQy.png
q1p3cP2.png

oJmowfs.png

7D5kxib.png

mnVJtZ0.png

How to Play:

1. Download the file from the attachment located below.

2. Take the downloaded folder and place it in your Terraria worlds folder.
(User -> Documents -> My Games -> Terraria -> Worlds)

3. Create a new Softcore character. Or hardcore. Hey, it's your funeral, mate.

4. Start up the World with your new character.

Rules:

1: Play with a new character.
2: Toss your starting items in the trash can.
3: No breaking or placing blocks (duh). This includes any explosives you might happen to get! (Grenades are okay.)
4. You can buy items from the hermit to the west of the mansion, but don't buy any ropes, bombs, picks or axes! Everything else is fair game. This applies to any other NPC's you may encounter.​
5. Pick up the stuff in the chest at the end of the starting room.
6. When you get a gemstone, it's recommended that you magic mirror home instantly. Large gems drop on death and can be permanently lost, breaking the map.
7. Don't mess with the housing tab. NPC's are located where they are for a reason.
8. Exiting the world will cause timer-based traps to break. Should this happen, there is a trap reset switch located on the other side of the volcano, to the west of the mansion.

Credits:

ME! ALL ME!

Okay, and I guess Relogic too, for making the game.
...Aaaand BinaryConstruct, because without TEdit, I really wouldn't have bothered.​

Attachments

• Down the Well.wld
    1.2 MB · Views: 22,194
Last edited:
A fun map. Especially loved the open feeling early into the map. The ice caves and some of the jungle were definitely my favorites. The puzzles were mostly cool, though there was nothing really complex or difficult. Would've loved to see a bit more of those. They kinda stopped halfway through the map. I liked the small secret areas every here and there but not really sure how well the weapons were balanced. They weren't used in any puzzles, so their only usefulness was combat, but for that magic was mainly useless, and I ended up running mainly using the best gun I had at that point. It was relatively fast to get back to areas where you had died, and overall my experience was positive.

-The rules were overly complex. The more rules you have, the easier it is to forget the important ones. I felt like adding the NPCs to buy ammo were not really necessary for instance, or how you can't place blocks, and specify it to also mean explosives, except grenades(?).
-I did dislike how many challenges used spikes. I personally dislike designing difficulty with spikes, and later they even ended up being painted to make them difficult to see. Same could be said about the red pressure plates used to spawn things, but mainly the wraiths.
-Giving the player a hook relatively early made the rest of the map feel kinda cheesy, as I constantly felt like I was cheesing challenges with it. I wish you had gone with another mobility item that isn't as problematic than grappling hook.
-Quite a bit of the parkour wasn't necessarily that difficult, but very punishing, usually resulting in death if you make a mistake. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, but it can get really frustrating really quickly if you end up spending most of the time returning back to the challenges from the spawn, just to die again. This was mostly fine due to the difficulty level not being that high, and the areas being quite quick to reach.
-The last boss was extremely unsatisfying. I know it was sort of a secret but still, just TEditing a massive hallway like this for the arena was very boring. Also the fact that the eyes ended up being really high up (due to the roof being so high) combined with the arena being waaay too long for it made me wonder if you even tested it.
-Not sure what the purpose of the rod of discord was supposed to be either.
-The right side of the starting area (once you opened the other house) and just walked right, you had some signs saying there is no point. I feel like if your intention was to be funny with them, they would've worked a lot better with announcement boxes. Or even better, just don't let the player go there in the first place maybe? Felt really confused as while yes, you tell to not go there, what do people usually do when you tell them to not do something. They do exactly that.
-I found 2 gold greaves, intentional?
-You can easily get the molten fury from the forge thing before having obsidian skull.

In the end, I hope to see more from adventure maps from you.

-Noel

A fun map. Especially loved the open feeling early into the map. The ice caves and some of the jungle were definitely my favorites. The puzzles were mostly cool, though there was nothing really complex or difficult. Would've loved to see a bit more of those. They kinda stopped halfway through the map. I liked the small secret areas every here and there but not really sure how well the weapons were balanced. They weren't used in any puzzles, so their only usefulness was combat, but for that magic was mainly useless, and I ended up running mainly using the best gun I had at that point. It was relatively fast to get back to areas where you had died, and overall my experience was positive.

-The rules were overly complex. The more rules you have, the easier it is to forget the important ones. I felt like adding the NPCs to buy ammo were not really necessary for instance, or how you can't place blocks, and specify it to also mean explosives, except grenades(?).
-I did dislike how many challenges used spikes. I personally dislike designing difficulty with spikes, and later they even ended up being painted to make them difficult to see. Same could be said about the red pressure plates used to spawn things, but mainly the wraiths.
-Giving the player a hook relatively early made the rest of the map feel kinda cheesy, as I constantly felt like I was cheesing challenges with it. I wish you had gone with another mobility item that isn't as problematic than grappling hook.
-Quite a bit of the parkour wasn't necessarily that difficult, but very punishing, usually resulting in death if you make a mistake. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, but it can get really frustrating really quickly if you end up spending most of the time returning back to the challenges from the spawn, just to die again. This was mostly fine due to the difficulty level not being that high, and the areas being quite quick to reach.
-The last boss was extremely unsatisfying. I know it was sort of a secret but still, just TEditing a massive hallway like this for the arena was very boring. Also the fact that the eyes ended up being really high up (due to the roof being so high) combined with the arena being waaay too long for it made me wonder if you even tested it.
-Not sure what the purpose of the rod of discord was supposed to be either.
-The right side of the starting area (once you opened the other house) and just walked right, you had some signs saying there is no point. I feel like if your intention was to be funny with them, they would've worked a lot better with announcement boxes. Or even better, just don't let the player go there in the first place maybe? Felt really confused as while yes, you tell to not go there, what do people usually do when you tell them to not do something. They do exactly that.
-I found 2 gold greaves, intentional?
-You can easily get the molten fury from the forge thing before having obsidian skull.

In the end, I hope to see more from adventure maps from you.

-Noel

1. Well, I feel as though I have to establish these rules because there's always that one guy that looks for any loophole to break the map. I'll try and condense the rules though.
Also, you seem confused on the grenades part. Maybe you'd find some if you held onto your key a little longer~

2. The painted spikes were not intended to be difficult to see, but rather to better fit the environment, as wooden spikes are covered in vines. >_< I'll try painting them orange or something instead. Also, many spikes were not really there to serve as challenges, but rather as deterrents to keep people from entering certain areas without the right item.

Also, yeah, the wraith part was kinda a :red: move on my part. I'll make that section a little easier.

3. Mm, you think so? Well, regardless, I can't really change that now. It's kinda integral to the map. Although maybe I could switch it with a double jump, and have the hook come in later...

4. Can't really do anything about the parkour. That's kinda tied into the map now.

5. Mm, yeah I was kinda unsure on the boss. I can change the hallway length by about half, and I can make the final hallway a bit more interesting to maneuver. Also add some traps to make it more challenging.

6. The rod of discord was originally supposed to be used to teleport into the loot box from the final boss. It'd been a while since I'd played Terraria and as I was a bit unclear as to how some mechanics worked, and I wanted to reduce the chance of a player getting stuck as much as possible. I don't think it was needed for that, but if you go back into the dungeon, you may find there are some bonus items you can get now...

...Not that you need them since the boss is a cakewalk. I'll try changing that though.

7. Ah, but did you go LEFT?

8. ABSOLUTELY.

No.

9. Ah, thanks for that.

1. Well, I feel as though I have to establish these rules because there's always that one guy that looks for any loophole to break the map. I'll try and condense the rules though.
Also, you seem confused on the grenades part. Maybe you'd find some if you held onto your key a little longer~

2. The painted spikes were not intended to be difficult to see, but rather to better fit the environment, as wooden spikes are covered in vines. >_< I'll try painting them orange or something instead. Also, many spikes were not really there to serve as challenges, but rather as deterrents to keep people from entering certain areas without the right item.

Also, yeah, the wraith part was kinda a :red: move on my part. I'll make that section a little easier.

3. Mm, you think so? Well, regardless, I can't really change that now. It's kinda integral to the map. Although maybe I could switch it with a double jump, and have the hook come in later...

4. Can't really do anything about the parkour. That's kinda tied into the map now.

5. Mm, yeah I was kinda unsure on the boss. I can change the hallway length by about half, and I can make the final hallway a bit more interesting to maneuver. Also add some traps to make it more challenging.

6. The rod of discord was originally supposed to be used to teleport into the loot box from the final boss. It'd been a while since I'd played Terraria and as I was a bit unclear as to how some mechanics worked, and I wanted to reduce the chance of a player getting stuck as much as possible. I don't think it was needed for that, but if you go back into the dungeon, you may find there are some bonus items you can get now...

...Not that you need them since the boss is a cakewalk. I'll try changing that though.

7. Ah, but did you go LEFT?

8. ABSOLUTELY.

No.

9. Ah, thanks for that.

Nah you don't need to make significant changes to this map. Most of the things I mentioned were mainly to keep in mind in future maps :)

Nah you don't need to make significant changes to this map. Most of the things I mentioned were mainly to keep in mind in future maps :)
But I must!

At least some of them.

FILL THE ENTIRE BOSS HALLWAY WITH WRAITH STATUES

NONE SHALL SURVIVE

I agree with Noel (Kieda) generally, it was a fun map to play, impressed with how fast you got it out since 1.3.1 was released. Most of the problems are pretty insignificant, I think the biggest issue is the grappling hook, I got it really early on and it removed a lot of potential challenge, and was easy to abuse to take shortcuts, tank through parts quickly, not taking much damage, generally getting to areas where I feel I shouldn't be so easily. It's a fun item but for this kind of map it's probably best to try to give it out near the end. Here are my smaller gripes, not mentioned by Noel:

-Would be good to have a shiny stone, or something similar, often I would have to wait a while for my health to regen before attempting a dangerous challenge.

-A better checkpoint or shortcut system would be great, I had to go through some parts multiple times when I died, I can see it being very frustrating for a lot of players. A better system to teleport deep into the map when you've gotten there, or make some challenges open a path or shortcut through them when they've been completed, or some combination of both.

-Felt a bit too much open ended, with too many ways to go and not much of a way to guide me. I like all the little secrets and quick side paths but I didn't have much confidence in where I was going.

-Lighting was missing in a few places where it should be, couldn't see some small parts at all.

-Not a fan of limited healing potions and ammo in a map like this, there is not much of an indication of how long the map will last or when you will get more supplies, so I don't have much of a way to tell when to use them. Feels limiting, and when you've run out then you can't get any more reliably, making it harder for people who spend a long time and are more likely to have used them.

-Easy to forget about large gems when you get them, having a rule to remind people doesn't help much, most people are likely to forget that rule when you have 8 rules.

-The dart trap puzzle with thin ice right before the large sapphire is creative, but confusing. Did not notice the second dart trap lower down for a long time and how it was activated.

-When the water fell onto lava to create an obsidian bridge, it drained without turning the top layer of lava to obsidian.

-The obsidian platforms in the rocket boots section between the spikes were very hard to see.

-Life fruit was not usable as you need 400HP to use them.

-Was not clear that I could save my golden key for later chests, used on the first one I saw without any idea it could be saved for alter chests.

-Vine Rope challenge above spikes might be very hard for a lot of people, though it was optional I think.

-Conveyor belt challenge probably too hard.

-Spear trap room before large emerald was not clear, thought one of the plates might open the gate as the gate was closed and right after it. Maybe put the gate before the spear trap room.

-Section with 4 crimson chests was very punishing, with no indication it was a trap.

-Wraiths are very strong and almost undetectable the first time.

That being said, most of these issues are insignificant, I enjoyed the map greatly. I'm 10 times more critical of everything Noel does when we make maps together. Again awesome work with the map.

I agree with Noel (Kieda) generally, it was a fun map to play, impressed with how fast you got it out since 1.3.1 was released. Most of the problems are pretty insignificant, I think the biggest issue is the grappling hook, I got it really early on and it removed a lot of potential challenge, and was easy to abuse to take shortcuts, tank through parts quickly, not taking much damage, generally getting to areas where I feel I shouldn't be so easily. It's a fun item but for this kind of map it's probably best to try to give it out near the end. Here are my smaller gripes, not mentioned by Noel:

-Would be good to have a shiny stone, or something similar, often I would have to wait a while for my health to regen before attempting a dangerous challenge.

-A better checkpoint or shortcut system would be great, I had to go through some parts multiple times when I died, I can see it being very frustrating for a lot of players. A better system to teleport deep into the map when you've gotten there, or make some challenges open a path or shortcut through them when they've been completed, or some combination of both.

-Felt a bit too much open ended, with too many ways to go and not much of a way to guide me. I like all the little secrets and quick side paths but I didn't have much confidence in where I was going.

-Lighting was missing in a few places where it should be, couldn't see some small parts at all.

-Not a fan of limited healing potions and ammo in a map like this, there is not much of an indication of how long the map will last or when you will get more supplies, so I don't have much of a way to tell when to use them. Feels limiting, and when you've run out then you can't get any more reliably, making it harder for people who spend a long time and are more likely to have used them.

-Easy to forget about large gems when you get them, having a rule to remind people doesn't help much, most people are likely to forget that rule when you have 8 rules.

-The dart trap puzzle with thin ice right before the large sapphire is creative, but confusing. Did not notice the second dart trap lower down for a long time and how it was activated.

-When the water fell onto lava to create an obsidian bridge, it drained without turning the top layer of lava to obsidian.

-The obsidian platforms in the rocket boots section between the spikes were very hard to see.

-Life fruit was not usable as you need 400HP to use them.

-Was not clear that I could save my golden key for later chests, used on the first one I saw without any idea it could be saved for alter chests.

-Vine Rope challenge above spikes might be very hard for a lot of people, though it was optional I think.

-Conveyor belt challenge probably too hard.

-Spear trap room before large emerald was not clear, thought one of the plates might open the gate as the gate was closed and right after it. Maybe put the gate before the spear trap room.

-Section with 4 crimson chests was very punishing, with no indication it was a trap.

-Wraiths are very strong and almost undetectable the first time.

That being said, most of these issues are insignificant, I enjoyed the map greatly. I'm 10 times more critical of everything Noel does when we make maps together. Again awesome work with the map.

1. There is a charm of myths somewhere in the map! Might add a shiny stone somewhere in the lava area.

2. I'm thinking of adding one extra way to get down to the mine quicker. The map's quite small, so one is probably all that's needed.

3. Open ended is kinda the way I wanted it, but I'll see if I can add some vague hints throughout the map.

4. Well, some parts aren't meant to have lighting at all, but I don't think you're talking about those. I'll try and brighten up the spots that need work.

5. I'm not a fan of limited potions either, but there's not much I can do about it besides not include them at all. If you need some extra potions, the merchant sells lesser ones, but that's about it.

6. I'll add a reminder sign.

7. Might add a torch in front of the second dart trap, to highlight it.

8. Ugh. Stupid glitchy water. Worked when I was testing it, sorry it turned out that way. I'll see if I can't make it more consistent.

9. Duly noted.

10. I believe there are 16 life crystals throughout the map.

11. Was going to put a sign somewhere stating that, but forgot. My apologies.

12. It's quite difficult until you get the grappling hook. Though I wouldn't necessarily call that a good thing.

13. Really? I thought it was just right.

14. I actually want to swap the pressure plates with yellow ones, so they only get triggered by enemies, meaning you need to watch where opponents are in that room.

15. Sorry about that, you're absolutely right. It's a lot easier to avoid when you're the one who placed it. >_< Gonna replace the plates with blue ones.

16. Again, sorry. And again, gonna replace the plates with blue ones, and make that section easier.

Last edited:
Updated the map!

Rules condensed from 8 to 7.
Black spikes repainted red.
Hallway of Hell made easier.
Boss room shortened, and new, although not very intimidating mechanic introduced.
Got rid of the extra pair of gold shorts. Swapped it with something else.
Forgemaster's forge lengthened.
Added sign suggesting blue gem is the first one you should get.
Added some lights to the well and lava areas.
Added signs reminding people to warp home after collecting a gem.
Highlighted the dart puzzle in the ice area.
Added sign reminding people that the gold key can only be used once.
Changed pressure plate colors for certain traps.
Shiny stone added.
Grappling hook swapped out for cloud in a bottle. Grappling hook moved to another location.
Swapped out that STUPID obsidian puzzle for a much more reliable one.

Not bad map by any means. Had fun playing it, and I found it amusing how much you could sequence break some areas.

Upgraded my starting bow to the Molten Fury before finding another bow at all due to knowing I could survive the damage.
The Rod of Discord allows you to completely skip the boss fight if you so desire and have a high enough resolution.
You may start with only one gold key, but Dungeon Slimes can spawn in the room before the boss fight. I like to get everything so I just hung out in there until I got 2 more. Might just want to hide a couple more gold keys in the map for people to get and use.

Not bad map by any means. Had fun playing it, and I found it amusing how much you could sequence break some areas.

Upgraded my starting bow to the Molten Fury before finding another bow at all due to knowing I could survive the damage.
The Rod of Discord allows you to completely skip the boss fight if you so desire and have a high enough resolution.
You may start with only one gold key, but Dungeon Slimes can spawn in the room before the boss fight. I like to get everything so I just hung out in there until I got 2 more. Might just want to hide a couple more gold keys in the map for people to get and use.

Well, the point is you can technically get the gemstones in any order you like. It's just way easier to go blue, green then red.

1. Still? I tripled the length of that thing... Was this before I updated it?
2. Shoot, I forgot that some items literally get better with a larger screen. I'll have to increase the length of that hallway even more.
3. Y'know what? I like that. I'm keeping it.

Admittedly I play on max resolution, 1920x1080, and a dozen to 20 blocks would put it off my screen. :) If that helps any.

And yes, that area I got to early was before you updated it, I'll have to see if I can still pull that off... I think I might be able to...

Amazing map, but here is one problem I had with it.
I spent 30 minutes in the underworld trying to figure out where I had to spawn the wall of flesh. I went all the way left and there was nothing there and I went all the way right and I finally found it. Maybe instead of dropping into the underworld a teleporter takes you to where you spawn the wall of flesh. Also the vortex wings made the fight incredibly easy.

Amazing map, but here is one problem I had with it.
I spent 30 minutes in the underworld trying to figure out where I had to spawn the wall of flesh. I went all the way left and there was nothing there and I went all the way right and I finally found it. Maybe instead of dropping into the underworld a teleporter takes you to where you spawn the wall of flesh. Also the vortex wings made the fight incredibly easy.

Wait, you went all the way left?
There should be chests full of voodoo dolls on both sides of the chamber.

Wait, you went all the way left?
There should be chests full of voodoo dolls on both sides of the chamber.
Sorry, I only went halfway left, then I gave up. I forgot about that. I didn't know that the vortex wings were there, so I walked all that way, then stopped.

The Molten Fury hallway can be done with 180 HP with no health potion. :) Although you are going to be really close to dying when you get to the end.

I think I broke the map, I won without fighting any bosses, never used a golden key, and didn't open all the chests...

I think I broke the map, I won without fighting any bosses, never used a golden key, and didn't open all the chests...

You technically don't have to fight a boss, depending on what ending you get. You also don't need to open all the chests. You also don't need to use the gold key.

Back
Top Bottom