Game Mechanics Drops matching equipment

VDragunov

Terrarian
Simple as it sounds: if you have equipped gear that boosts a type of damage above the rest, drops recieved from enemies and bosses have a higher chance to be of the same type of the sets you're using.

Not only would this make class specific runs easier (as you would have to worry less about getting weapons you don't use), but, because it would make the drops a bit more predictable, it'd allow players to adjust their equipment according to the desired result.

Want a Magic Quiver? Farm with a ranger set.
Want more ectoplasm? Farm the dungeon with a mage armor.
Want the meowmere you're missing to make the zenith finally drop? Try using a melee armor while opening the bag…!

It would be a pretty intuitive thing to do if this gets implemented: farming stuff with a melee set would give you higher chances to have a melee weapon as a drop, probably one you'd want in order to progress deeper into the game.

Even if the game isn't meant to lock you into the class, this would promote that feeling of progression you have when you get an upgrade to a weapon you're using. Which is, obviously, a neat thing to feel.

also it would maybe make the RNG class, summoner, get their drops a bit more reliably, which they desperately need.

Question: What would happen with armor sets that increase the damage for two classes (ex: Frost) and the sets that don't do anything at all (Miner and Angler)?

Question: What would happen with armor sets that increase the damage for two classes (ex: Frost) and the sets that don't do anything at all (Miner and Angler)?

In my crazy imagination about how this would work, the highest damage boost takes priority, so in that specific case, it would depend on accesories.

Sets that don't raise damage of a specific class would have neutral (IE: as they are now) chances for every kind of drop.

Sets that don't raise damage of a specific class would have neutral (IE: as they are now) chances for every kind of drop.
Yeah, I kinda figured that part out. Wonder why my brain didn't think of it when I posted my message. Anyways, with the new luck system, I don't see a reason that this is impossible to implement. Support!

Simple as it sounds: if you have equipped gear that boosts a type of damage above the rest, drops recieved from enemies and bosses have a higher chance to be of the same type of the sets you're using.

Not only would this make class specific runs easier (as you would have to worry less about getting weapons you don't use), but, because it would make the drops a bit more predictable, it'd allow players to adjust their equipment according to the desired result.

Want the meowmere you're missing to make the zenith finally drop? Try using a melee armor while opening the bag…!

It would be a pretty intuitive thing to do if this gets implemented: farming stuff with a melee set would give you higher chances to have a melee weapon as a drop, probably one you'd want in order to progress deeper into the game.

Even if the game isn't meant to lock you into the class, this would promote that feeling of progression you have when you get an upgrade to a weapon you're using. Which is, obviously, a neat thing to feel.

also it would maybe make the RNG class, summoner, get their drops a bit more reliably, which they desperately need.
I would also that a system like this to be added, the randomness that already exists in bosses' items is because the game is still made for the player who uses any type of weapon in their current game.

Although I don’t agree on the non-boss items, as that would make things easier almost for free.
But things like this already exist in the game like equipping a gemmed Robe to add the chance to spawn the rare monster "Tim" just to get the wizard’s hat (also useful to get the achievement).

But it is apparently not that simple. And would also harm the game, which it seems was not thought about at all.
All you seem to care about with this idea are class playthroughs, which shouldn't be the main part of the game or even a big part as they go against Terrarias core of using whatever you want.
Your idea forces me into a specific playstyle just because i want drops, completely disregarding that the games intended way of playing is switching playstyles based on what you want to do and that difficulty of all tasks varies based on the playstyle.
Magic Quiver drops from Skeletons which are found in narrow caves. Playing a ranger is harder there than a melee or a mage class and could result in frustration.
What if I want Spectre items which have nothing to do with mages and I play a melee character? More grind for my Spectre wings or Pickaxe just because mages have a better chance at it? No thanks.
What it I want a summoner weapon just for the 3 summons on any class? :red: out of luck boy, you have to use a summoner armor even though you never used a full summoner?
No thanks.
There are a lot of instances where items are useful to other playstyles and even more where certain playstyles simply suck at certain tasks.
If I want a Flairon, I have to do Fishron as melee? No thanks.
A mechanic shouldn't force me into playing something I dislike or favor something I don't happen to play. The system we have in the game is well- polished by years of game development across hundreds of titles.
And switching armors for opening bags is just an unneeded and annoying mechanic in my opinion.
If one wishes to get items faster, he can play Journey mode.

But it is apparently not that simple. And would also harm the game, which it seems was not thought about at all.
All you seem to care about with this idea are class playthroughs, which shouldn't be the main part of the game or even a big part as they go against Terrarias core of using whatever you want.
Your idea forces me into a specific playstyle just because i want drops, completely disregarding that the games intended way of playing is switching playstyles based on what you want to do and that difficulty of all tasks varies based on the playstyle.
Magic Quiver drops from Skeletons which are found in narrow caves. Playing a ranger is harder there than a melee or a mage class and could result in frustration.
What if I want Spectre items which have nothing to do with mages and I play a melee character? More grind for my Spectre wings or Pickaxe just because mages have a better chance at it? No thanks.
What it I want a summoner weapon just for the 3 summons on any class? :red: out of luck boy, you have to use a summoner armor even though you never used a full summoner?
No thanks.
There are a lot of instances where items are useful to other playstyles and even more where certain playstyles simply suck at certain tasks.
If I want a Flairon, I have to do Fishron as melee? No thanks.
A mechanic shouldn't force me into playing something I dislike or favor something I don't happen to play. The system we have in the game is well- polished by years of game development across hundreds of titles.
And switching armors for opening bags is just an unneeded and annoying mechanic in my opinion.
If one wishes to get items faster, he can play Journey mode.
To please everyone the system could be chosen in character construction, where the player chooses one of the four classes or the standard class in which the chances are normal and any type of weapon can be used, additionally when choosing one of the four classes the character would be unable to deal damage with a weapon of a type that is not of his class (looking like a mod I saw but I don't remember the name), with the system like that it would not even be necessary to equip an item to increase the chances of a desired item from the boss, it would simply be necessary to choose the class at the beginning.

To summarise Jostaberee words here: @VDragunov, what if i don't care about class purity and plan to switch class after particular boss battle?

when choosing one of the four classes the character would be unable to deal damage with a weapon of a type that is not of his class
This would immediately require a lot of rebalance work to satisfy everyone.

To summarise Jostaberee words here: @VDragunov, what if i don't care about class purity and plan to switch class after particular boss battle?

You could just… you know.
Go ahead?

I mentioned an increased chance if done this way, not reducing everything else to zero unless you play the game in a specific way.

Let me give an example: You beat fishron using mage gear, normally, the odds for every one of his weapons is an equal 20% for each, right? Well, the bubble gun and the razorblade typhoon would now have a 30%, while the rest of the drops have a 13.3'% to be the one that pops out. You could just as well get the tsunami, switch to ranger and be on your merry way if you find it convenient, or play summoner and use the bow while fighting Fishron in hopes of getting the tempest staff without as much repetition. In expert mode it would be even easier, because you could just switch armors before opening the treasure bags. The fact that the drops lean towards a playstyle you're already using, if anything, goes in your advantage because now you can farm this boss faster and more consistently because now you have an upgrade to the weapons you were already using.

As for non-boss gear: normally, the magic quiver drops in a 1/80 chance from skeleton archers, right? Well, it would stay that way for players farming with melee, mage and summoner armors. But, if you farm it with a ranger set and the chance goes up to, say. 1/60 or 1/40. You're not being punished for not using a ranger set, you're being rewarded for seeking progression inside the class you're playing (because honestly: If you're farming for the magic quiver, ain't you planning to use mostly ranged weaponry?), and even while using said set, nothing stops you from using other kinds of weapons, does it?

If anything, if farming the magic quiver is harder as a ranger, well, now you're compensating the boost in drop rate with difficulty, neat!

That's what I'm trying to suggest: A way to make drops more reliable, predictable, even. Sure, increasing the chance for 1 out of 5 weapons to drop means the other 4 will have lower chances to appear, but if you're farming for an specific weapon... isn't that kinda the point?

If repetition becomes an issue ("I want the Flairon but I keep getting all of these bubble guns"), here's a failsafe:

If that weapon is already in your hotbar, the chances of getting it again drop. Same objective as before: making farming more predictable, and even less of a chore.

Last edited:
Go ahead?
So do you :merchantwink:

In expert mode it would be even easier, because you could just switch armors before opening the treasure bags.
Now this one makes sense. It has to be communicated to the player somehow.

The fact that the drops lean towards a playstyle you're already using, if anything, goes in your advantage because now you can farm this boss faster and more consistently because now you have an upgrade to the weapons you were already using.
You offer me an option to farm boss (which i already dislike), just to get more of the same weapon due to increased chances?

Well, it would stay that way for players farming with melee, mage and summoner armors. But, if you farm it with a ranger set and the chance goes up to, say. 1/60 or 1/40. You're not being punished for not using a ranger set, you're being rewarded for seeking progression inside the class you're playing
This also makes sense. But when it comes to bosses, it's not simple "reward", as it comes with a punishment against other playstyles. Again, i dislike farming bosses until much later in game.

If repetition becomes an issue ("I want the Flairon but I keep getting all of these bubble guns"), here's a failsafe:
If that weapon is already in your hotbar, the chances of getting it again drop.
Ok then, so maybe we could just make this the primary idea of suggestion? So the chances of repeated drops would just decrease (maybe even to zero). Because i see it kinda solves your problem of unpredictable drops way better than everything mentioned above. Plus you are fine with farming bosses anyway, you just want to get necessary stuff faster.

Go ahead?

I mentioned an increased chance if done this way, not reducing everything else to zero unless you play the game in a specific way.

Let me give an example: You beat fishron using mage gear, normally, the odds for every one of his weapons is an equal 20% for each, right? Well, the bubble gun and the razorblade typhoon would now have a 30%, while the rest of the drops have a 13.3'% to be the one that pops out. You could just as well get the tsunami, switch to ranger and be on your merry way if you find it convenient, or play summoner and use the bow while fighting Fishron in hopes of getting the tempest staff without as much repetition. In expert mode it would be even easier, because you could just switch armors before opening the treasure bags. The fact that the drops lean towards a playstyle you're already using, if anything, goes in your advantage because now you can farm this boss faster and more consistently because now you have an upgrade to the weapons you were already using.

As for non-boss gear: normally, the magic quiver drops in a 1/80 chance from skeleton archers, right? Well, it would stay that way for players farming with melee, mage and summoner armors. But, if you farm it with a ranger set and the chance goes up to, say. 1/60 or 1/40. You're not being punished for not using a ranger set, you're being rewarded for seeking progression inside the class you're playing (because honestly: If you're farming for the magic quiver, ain't you planning to use mostly ranged weaponry?), and even while using said set, nothing stops you from using other kinds of weapons, does it?

If anything, if farming the magic quiver is harder as a ranger, well, now you're compensating the boost in drop rate with difficulty, neat!

That's what I'm trying to suggest: A way to make drops more reliable, predictable, even. Sure, increasing the chance for 1 out of 5 weapons to drop means the other 4 will have lower chances to appear, but if you're farming for an specific weapon... isn't that kinda the point?

If that weapon is already in your hotbar, the chances of getting it again drop. Same objective as before: making farming more predictable, and even less of a chore.
You completely misunderstood my concern.
What if I have a particular set of items for a boss? The equal chance boss drops will be screwed up.
What if I play a ranger, because that is the most viable for Fishron, but I want a Razorblade Typhoon? You force me into a 13% drop chance instead of a 20% just because you want your mage to drop it faster.
I will just speak for myself. But I have a specific setup for every boss or invasion, because what I do is fight every single boss 4 times in a row with a different setup. Melee, ranged, summoning and mage. Then I see which one is the easiest, and adapt this to my playthrough or a farm.
Some bosses and areas with setups are balls-hard on the harder difficulties, and I do not wish to do it over and over or switch everytime I need a new drop.
The game has a certain flow and a certain routine. I farmed Martians and it was an autorun at some point. I do not want to ruin that flow by being forced to switch to a different setup every kill, and i don't want to be forced to carry all the stuff around.
The system WILL force people into using it, because it punishes people who do not use it. A reward for one is automatically a punishment for any other setup.
While nothing stops me, playing a hardcore for the worthy character I rely on cheesing 100% of the time. I use what is the best and forcing me into something that is not the best for the set situation but rewards me for using it will push me into using it.
You simply cannot make such a imbalance in the game. Saying: "Well, do whatever you want, but you will be doing it for an hour more if you don't do this specific thing".
To please everyone the system could be chosen in character construction
This is the only viable solution. And mods exist for that. Install a mod when they are updated for 1.4 for yourself, but don't force it upon people who grew up with a specific RNG mechanic. I personally do not want this convoluted stuff in the game, and did state why objectively it will do more harm than good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom