PC Dungeon Fishing biome?

OddGirl

Dungeon Spirit
Watching a YouTube video today I found out that you can get dungeon crates from fishing in the dungeon. Awesome! I made a pond in the dungeon to fish in but endgame expert does not make for a peaceful time.

Is it possible to make an artificial dungeon biome to fish in? Like what we can already make for Hallow, Jungle, Corruption, etc. I checked the dungeon page on the wiki and it said with 250 dungeon blocks or more it was possible for an area to spawn dungeon mobs. I built an area with about 300 blocks and also added dungeon background at cavern level but don't think I'm seeing results.

Anyone have more experience with this and have an idea? Thanks!

If memory serves, player-placed dungeon blocks and walls don't count toward creating a dungeon biome, so that people can still build things out of them without having to worry about Paladins spawning in their giant castle. You'll have to make a pond in the existing dungeon, unfortunately.

There are two things you can do to keep enemies off your back: get a Stardust Dragon and let it kill mobs while you fish (other minions can also be used alongside it, but the SD is important for its ability to kill Paladins before their noclipping hammers can kill you), or use lava pits and other traps to kill enemies around your pool. Spore Sac also helps, but it won't do it on its own.

I have to wonder why you even want the dungeon crates if you're at endgame, though. They only contain regular dungeon chest items, like Muramasa and Blue Moon. If you were hoping to get extra Vampire Knives and Rainbow Guns, then you're out of luck. There aren't any other fishing rewards exclusive to the dungeon, either, not even any quest fish, so there isn't much point to fishing in the dungeon once you've entered hardmode.

If memory serves, player-placed dungeon blocks and walls don't count toward creating a dungeon biome, so that people can still build things out of them without having to worry about Paladins spawning in their giant castle. You'll have to make a pond in the existing dungeon, unfortunately.

There are two things you can do to keep enemies off your back: get a Stardust Dragon and let it kill mobs while you fish (other minions can also be used alongside it, but the SD is important for its ability to kill Paladins before their noclipping hammers can kill you), or use lava pits and other traps to kill enemies around your pool. Spore Sac also helps, but it won't do it on its own.

I have to wonder why you even want the dungeon crates if you're at endgame, though. They only contain regular dungeon chest items, like Muramasa and Blue Moon. If you were hoping to get extra Vampire Knives and Rainbow Guns, then you're out of luck. There aren't any other fishing rewards exclusive to the dungeon, either, not even any quest fish, so there isn't much point to fishing in the dungeon once you've entered hardmode.

Boo, but thanks for the confirmation. I'm one of those collectors who likes to get everything and I'm short a muramasa to craft with. I do admit, the crates make cool decor either way. I tried my stardust dragon but he didn't quite do it bc he'd fly off screen chasing stuff leaving me wide open. I'm going to try the spore sac, I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

Cool, I did not know this. I'll have to fish in my non-expert mode world.
I've definitely gone to the level of decorating with crates...

Try creating a pond just below the surface. Go down until you hear the music change and dig out some of the natural dungeon bricks to create a fishing area. According to the Wiki, spawn rates increase the deeper you go. Regardless, you're unlikely to get anything too troublesome that close to the surface.

And as already mentioned: Stardust Guardian Dragon, fishing potion, create potion and you should be good to go. :)

Last edited:
That's a good point, I didn't take depth into consideration. I used one of the larger rooms to make the pond but its pretty deep. I'll make one closer to the surface.

And of course, you want to rid yourself of any nearby Water Candles, if you haven't already done so. Those can make for a bad time in the expert Dungeon.

Back
Top Bottom