NPCs & Enemies Dye Trader Change

Ominick

Terrarian
The Dye trader is not a very varied NPC, he only sells white dye and a dye vat.
My idea is that the dye would offer a second service called "Analyze".
A GUI similar to the Goblin Tinkerer's "Reforge". However, you can only place dyes in the slot, and the reforge buton is a picture of suggestively a magnifying glass, and it's called "analyze".
If it is the first time a player analyzes a dye the dye is consumed and the dye trader says: "An interesting shade, I wonder if I could copy that, but I'll need more dye for that".
The following three times the same dye is offered, he says:

"A very interesting color indeed, get me some more of this and we'll see..."
"I have identified the shade as color name! Now I just need to figure out the chemistry..."
"I have found traces of dye material (example: orange bloodroot), but I'm uncertain..."

On the fith time a player analyzes the same dye he says: "I know how to make this dye now!"
When this happens that dye becomes available in his shop inventory.
So... recap:
The dye trader should be able to sell all dyes, you unlock a dye when you have given him a certain number of samples of that dye. My idea of a good price would be 1-5 gold, depending on dye rarity, maybe rarely more?
The dye messages are optional, more to give you an idea of it than anything else, the number of dyes is optional aswell, 4 has been suggested.

A sprite for the analyze GUI, thank you, Aloup Shmederheisen!
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/analyze-sprite-png.29501/

A much better set of quotes (thanks, TyHachi!):
1: "Oh! Another dye!? Let me see...This is made out of [ITEM]...I might be able to make [COLOR] dye with some more samples..."
2: "I think I might be able to make a dye of high quality with some more practice..."
3: "Almost got it-this dye will make you look fabulous! I just need to do some fine tweaking. Can you bring me another sample?"
4: "Magnificent! This hue is perfect! I'm sure I can continue to make this dye at the same quality as it is now! I'll make sure to have [Traveling Merchant] bring more materials so that I can sell this."

Last edited:
Among other things, the process is a bit silly.
"An interesting shade, I wonder if I could copy that, but I'll need more dye for that."
"Sure thing!"
"Well, I think it looks interesting... :l"
"I have identified the shade as Orange! Now I just need to figure out the chemistry..."
"I could tell it was orange when I first made it, though. :l"
"I have found traces of Orange Bloodroot, but I'm uncertain..."
"Funny thing about that, I actually made that dye with an orange-colored root. You could have just asked. :l"
"I know how to make this dye now!"
"Great! Because I knew how to make this dye five samples ago! *rolls eyes* Seriously, why didn't you just ask?? *sighs* :l"

Among other things, the process is a bit silly.
"An interesting shade, I wonder if I could copy that, but I'll need more dye for that."
"Sure thing!"
"Well, I think it looks interesting... :l"
"I have identified the shade as Orange! Now I just need to figure out the chemistry..."
"I could tell it was orange when I first made it, though. :l"
"I have found traces of Orange Bloodroot, but I'm uncertain..."
"Funny thing about that, I actually made that dye with an orange-colored root. You could have just asked. :l"
"I know how to make this dye now!"
"Great! Because I knew how to make this dye five samples ago! *rolls eyes* Seriously, why didn't you just ask?? *sighs* :l"
You are correct, it was just to give a general idea, however i think you should give him at least five dyes before you can buy it yourself, and the main idea is that i shouldn't need to spend hours hunting beetles or seagrass or flowers more than the accomplishment requires.

Well, can you turn it to 4 times? Five is too much. But besides that, it's approved. I could even make a sprite for the GUI if you want.

Here. Sorry, I'm not very good either.

Attachments

• Analyze Sprite.png
    Analyze Sprite.png
    4 KB · Views: 311
Here's some thoughts
~Reduce the dyes that can be made to base dyes as this allows the dye vat to still have use other than for paint
~Set a price for the dyes(Probably 1-5 gold)
~Perhaps with the haughty nature and pickyness of the dye trader, he requires multiple samples to perfect the dye and not make it?

for the most part we only really need about 8 of any dye?
To get eight of every dye witout this implemented you need:
  • 64 each of Red Husks, Green Mushrooms, Teal Mushrooms, Blue Berries, Purple Mucoses, Violet Husks, and Pink Prickly Pears
  • 96 each of Orange Bloodroots, Lime Kelps, Cyan Husks and Sky Blue Flowers
  • 128 each of Yellow Marigolds and Black Inks
  • 200 Silver Dyes (costing 2
    Platinum_Coin.png
    )
  • 8 Team Dyes (costing 8
    Gold_Coin.png
    )
This is because of all mixing dyes.
With the idea implemented you will only need as many as the requirement for it to become available.

Ideas for Quotes

1: "Oh! Another dye!? Let me see...This is made out of [ITEM]...I might be able to make [COLOR] dye with some more samples..."
2: "I think I might be able to make a dye of high quality with some more practice..."
3: "Almost got it-this dye will make you look fabulous! I just need to do some fine tweaking. Can you bring me another sample?"
4: "Magnificent! This hue is perfect! I'm sure I can continue to make this dye at the same quality as it is now! I'll make sure to have [Traveling Merchant] bring more materials so that I can sell this."

Dye trader will now sell that dye, while his materials will be implied to come from the traveling merchant, thus justifying the fact that you don't bring him any more supplies.

Just make it 2. I may as well just hunt a few more at the point I get this.

I think two is too small. I think @Ominick makes a valid point on the amount of dyes you would need. 4/5 is a good amount of dye and it makes it so that you still have to work to meet the initial Requirement. Otherwise one could get lucky and just get a few Beetles to spawn close to each other and be done.

I think two is too small. I think @Ominick makes a valid point on the amount of dyes you would need. 4/5 is a good amount of dye and it makes it so that you still have to work to meet the initial Requirement. Otherwise one could get lucky and just get a few Beetles to spawn close to each other and be done.
I dunno. It just feels like too much for a thing you are going to use at most 8 times per character. 1 for each dye slot.

Except for the fact that you might want to change up your outfit with new vanity and accessories that you may obtain.
its not like dyes are applied to an item...they sit in a slot. finding new accessories and vanity don't increase the dye requirement

Except for the fact that you might want to change up your outfit with new vanity and accessories that you may obtain.
Honestly, I am not going hunting for several hours to find a few dyes that I may or may not ever use.

its not like dyes are applied to an item...they sit in a slot. finding new accessories and vanity don't increase the dye requirement

Yes but if you want different types of dyes you will have to gather multiple anyway. If you make an intense dye and then want a black and color dye you can't uncraft that dye.

I

Yes but if you want different types of dyes you will have to gather multiple anyway. If you make an intense dye and
Just get them as you need them. I will need at most 3. I am not going out hunting for 5 when I need 3. It's like a really silly supermarket offer or something.

Back
Top Bottom