Early-Hardmode Duke Fishron Strategies.

Etotheipi

Retinazer
I thought it would be interesting to have a place to share strategies for beating Duke Fishron as early on in the games as possible, consistently. I have an idea for a strat, based on a strategy I first saw used by the youtuber waffletime. It still needs polishing, and my knowledge of the game is to limited to do that by myself. It would require beating one mechanical boss, as that unlocks hallowed repeaters, and teleporters. I assumed admantite armor for this, since my planning was partly for a friend who has admantite in his world. It would involve setting up two teleporters decently far apart, but close enough together that the duke wouldn't despawn when switching between them. (This was not my idea, by the way, the first place I saw it was a youtuber named waffle time.) The teleporters should be placed outside of the ocean area, to make duke fishron enraged. This would make him not use any of his attacks except a charge, eliminating the threat of a sharknado or a cthulhunado getting stuck inside the teleporter box. As for gear, a hallowed repeater with jester arrows would be used, with as many damage boosting accessories as possible. The ones that are available after just one mech boss (That I know of) are a ranger emblem, magic quiver and a molten quiver. A shield should also be used, because if you are a bit too late with teleporting, duke will hit you away from the teleporter with one hit, and kill you with the next. A cross necklace or an upgrade could be used to make screw-ups less damaging. All accessories should be reforged to menacing.

The major flaws I can see so far are:

It probably isn't compatible with duke's expert 3rd phase.

Enraged duke might be too fast to squeeze much actual firing into the teleport spam.

All thoughts, improvements, or completely different strategies would be welcome, just as long as they don't require items only available far into hardmode.

giant elevator of teleporters that is like 15 platforms long and goes down then goes all the way back up at the bottom
should be speedy enough to evade it unless a tornado spawns

since you’ll be defeating one mechanical boss, why not use megashark with souls of might from the destroyer?
Duke's defense is too high for it to be very effective I think, I chose hallowed repeater because it has pretty good damage so it can pierce through better. It would take like a minute longer with a megashark than hallowed repeater, partly because there aren't as many bullet boosting buffs as there are for arrow.

Well, I've attempted fighting duke pre-mech in a journey world so I can experiment with any gear I want, and so far I can get him to 3rd phase decently consistently, but he generally gets me there. Any advice for that?

Perhaps the super star shooter, if you're using hallowed bars?

It might be possible to do something crazy with hoiks that will let you automatically avoid everything by moving in a certain pattern. But it would take some experimentation.

Perhaps the super star shooter, if you're using hallowed bars?

It might be possible to do something crazy with hoiks that will let you automatically avoid everything by moving in a certain pattern. But it would take some experimentation.
Maybe, I might test it on him later. Stars can be a pain to gather in bulk though. I think hoiks would only work if you make duke enraged, because sharknados and bubbles can't really be dodged predictably.

I'm going for plain pre-mech now, I've beaten him a handful of times in a journey test world, and now, in my main world, I have the gear I had in the test world, with a few things switched around. I'll list the gear I'll use here and the add an edit once I've beaten him with it or if I changed it around a bit.
Accessories (All lucky or menacing):
Amphibian Boots
Harpy Wings
Ranger Emblem
Sharkron Balloon
Worm Scarf
Shield of Cthulhu
Buffs are endurance, regen, and lifeforce.
Armor is palladium with helmet.
Weapon is an Unreal Dart Rifle with ichor darts.

In my test world I left out the balloon, which led to a lot more failures because the guide I was using for the 3rd phase needed a balloon and I didn't realize that. I'm planning on fighting Duke Fishron tomorrow.

Okey dokey, I beat him on the fourth try with the setup above. So in this post I'm gonna outline some of the strategies I used. For the arena, I used about 5 rows of platforms 50 tiles apart, that spanned from the end of the world to the end of the beach. It doesn't matter too much how your platforms are arranged, just make sure they don't go into space. (Make sure you do this is a large world so you have the maximum amount of room) Then heart lanterns and campfires were spread out across all the rows.

The first phase is by far the easiest. Dukes attack pattern is simply lunge five times, bubble attack, lunge five times, spawn two sharknados below him. I recommend going in a kind of zig zag up and down for this part, because you can move much faster upwards thanks to the amphibian boots and balloon. For the bubbles, just shoot them with a piercing weapon like the aqua scepter or golden shower. Try to steer him down towards the bottom rows after he does a bubble attack, so that the sharknados are tucked away where they won't be a problem. Always, always stay away from the sharknados, and try to remember where they are and don't go near that place. They do massive damage and can stun lock you easily. Also, the sharknados disappear at about the same rate Duke releases them, (In the first phase) so once he has released new ones, it's safe to go near where the old ones were.

The second phase is a bit more hectic, he lunges faster and farther, and his attacks from the first phase are upgraded. His attack pattern stays roughly the same though, now being lunge three times, bubble attack, lunge three times, spawn cthulhunado. The bubble attack is a bit harder to deal with since the bubbles are now spread out, which means they can attack you from multiple angles. The cthulhunado is the thing to worry about though. Duke releases a blobular water thing that homes in on you very quickly. When it hits you, a bigger sharknado spawns immediately on the nearest blocks or platforms beneath you. So if you are grounded, the sharknado spawns on top of them, which is very bad. So always be airborne when it hits you, and then immediately go to the other side of the arena. Again, your vertical speed is much better than you horizontal speed, so if you need to get away from the blob, fly up. Try to get the sharknados to spawn on the sides of the arena on the top or bottom row, otherwise they can make a huge portion of the arena very dangerous.

The third phase is the shortest but also one of the hardest stages. I'm really bad at it, so I can't give much advice. But be sure not to panic, And don't try to run away. He'll teleport too you, so it doesn't matter much if you run. Just get away from any leftover sharknados, and jump to dodge. The timing can be pretty hard. This video by Syntreli explains the third phase better than I can.

Personally I find doing duke before the Mach bosses more fun
So in that light, pre-mech defence is trash agains duke so you can completely ignore it and focus on damage and mobility with the priority being mobility.
With a balloon, boots and wings it’s easy to use vertical acceleration to dodge his attacks. With 2 levels of platforms forcing the tornados to spawn on the lower layer or near the sides of the arena is not to difficult if you count his attacks and pay attention to the pattern.
a small tip is to remove every second block in the platform, this allows you to run over it normally but the first phase tornados can miss the platform (less the half the time) spawning down lower if you fail to redirect their spawn.

Back
Top Bottom