Blocks & Decoration Enemy Proof and Player Proof Blocks

Zidane471

Terrarian
Of the issues I have with Terraria this is probably in my top 5. Nothing is more annoying than trying to build or move around my base only to have some crazy enemy wander through blocks to get to me. Top offender is Mothron. I cant count how many times I've had more than 1 solar eclipse within a sundial. (Thus being unskippable) Other notables include man eater type enemies, imp type enemies and finally wraith type enemies. The thing is I am referring to the later parts of the game where most of these are more of an annoyance than a real threat. (At least to players, they can still destroy NPCs) If the goal of the game is to never feel safe, the developers have succeeded, though that is a poor game mechanic in a game that is 1/3 about building. I don't think it is unreasonable to want to ignore certain things once a player is sufficiently far in the game. (I should be excited to see and eclipse or sandstorm, once I get far enough in the game to think "Oh great, this again" its time for these things to be avoidable.)

In light of this I have a simple proposal. A type of block that prevents all enemies and projectiles from moving through it (excluding bosses). I want to emphasize, it blocks ALL projectiles, including the player's. In short, excluding a boss (which are all summoned), no attacks go in or out. Players could finally sit out of a solar eclipse, blood moon or have real bases underground in the jungle or contaminated snow.

But of course the developers don't want players to avoid content when it is first available. (Otherwise they wouldn't make such things auto spawn.) Therefore, this block should not be available until very late game. I would expect post golem at a minimum, up to moon lord. Additionally, I have a hard time seeing this being abused for a few reasons. Traps couldn't be made since enemies wouldn't be able to get into the area in the first place. (So they couldn't be trapped, unless the player built the "trap" around the enemy.) Players can avoid incoming enemies but won't be able to harm them, resulting in a standstill.

Now with that out of the way, I present the real threat to Terraria... Players. This is an easy one. Make a block that requires the best pickaxe to break. If we were to assume no new pickaxe is made it would be the luminite pickaxes. This isnt really a new concept, its like how the Picksaw was needed for Lihzahrd Brick. Similarly, (excluding the Reaver Shark) Molten is needed for Cobalt, Cobalt for Mythril and Mythril for Adamantite. The reason I bring this up is the content of 1.2.1 - current has had no new tier of block. It would be nice to have a block that players could use that would prevent other players access until they reach the end of the game. More importantly, I'm hoping the block has a neutral biome, and unlike Lihzahrd not create a specific biome. (Therefore making the best neutral barrier, chlorophyte ore or adamantite ore. Both easier to break than Lihzahrd and very uneconomical to use.)

Summary:
- A new block that stops any enemy with a banner and their projectiles from passing through (Bosses are excluded).
- This same block would block all player projectiles, nothing goes in or out.
- It would be late to very late game, and mostly for players who are well past the enemies in question. Players just wanting to build in peace.

- A new block that requires the most powerful tier of pickaxe to break (currently Luminite).
- Since DCU is power 210 it may require an upgrade to 225, or this block will simply be unbreakable by the DCU.

Just from reading the title I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this but I actually like this idea a lot. I'll definitely support it.

You've been quite unlucky with that sundial then. It should have been a solution to the problem.
It's been suggested before and I still like the idea (no more wraiths wandering through my basement), but do wonder how much this could be abused.

You've been quite unlucky with that sundial then. It should have been a solution to the problem.
It's been suggested before and I still like the idea (no more wraiths wandering through my basement), but do wonder how much this could be abused.

The sundial failure is only one small part, referring exclusively to Mothron. (For the record in my latest play through it happened on 3 separate occasions. Unless my math is wrong there is something like 35% chance that 2 eclipses will happen within a single sundial. In fact I once got 3 within 4 game days.)

The larger issue is, Worms, Pigrons, Wraiths, Snatchers, Man Eaters, Angry Trappers, Tim, Rune Wizard and friends. Meaning that in addition to the standard darkness biomes it is unsafe to have bases in the jungle, underground ice, and underground in general. Deserts have sandstorms and Djinn. In addition the surface has Wraiths, Invasions and Lunar Pillars. The list for NPC safe base locations is rather small. Sure I can place the NPC houses above the opposite ocean of where I fight Fishron in every single playthrough. But, since the game is partially focused on building I think its a bit unreasonable to not be able to build a base safely nearly anywhere. Though, as you noted this has been suggested before, so I am preaching to a choir. Lets just hope it is noticed/considered this time. (Also, the reason I didn't posted on those threads is, I didn't want to super necro threads.)

As for abuse I don't see how it could be. If player projectiles are stopped like the enemies there shouldn't be anything going in or out. No Death Sickle, Stardust Dragon, etc. To trap an enemy the player would need to build the trap around the enemy since enemies couldn't go through the block to be trapped. Then the player is either stuck inside with the enemy or prevented from hitting it. Now if you are talking about things they might allow a player to go through walls. That is a different situation, and not the fault of the block. Not to mention as I noted, it should be available late game. By that point, everything I listed should be player fodder. Would be like saying players killing Slimes from statues is abusing gel drops.

Last edited:
Now with that out of the way, I present the real threat to Terraria... Players. This is an easy one. Make a block that requires the best pickaxe to break. If we were to assume no new pickaxe is made it would be the luminite pickaxes. This isnt really a new concept, its like how the Picksaw was needed for Lihzahrd Brick. Similarly, (excluding the Reaver Shark) Molten is needed for Cobalt, Cobalt for Mythril and Mythril for Adamantite. The reason I bring this up is the content of 1.2.1 - current has had no new tier of block. It would be nice to have a block that players could use that would prevent other players access until they reach the end of the game. More importantly, I'm hoping the block has a neutral biome, and unlike Lihzahrd not create a specific biome. (Therefore making the best neutral barrier, chlorophyte ore or adamantite ore. Both easier to break than Lihzahrd and very uneconomical to use.)

Well, to accomplish that, they need to also make the respective background walls Rod of Discord-proof and disallow the use of actuators on the blocks. You also need to consider certain bugs that allow players to glitch through walls like for example sloped platforms on the side.

Well, to accomplish that, they need to also make the respective background walls Rod of Discord-proof and disallow the use of actuators on the blocks. You also need to consider certain bugs that allow players to glitch through walls like for example sloped platforms on the side.

A mechanic is already in place to prevent using rod of discord to get into the Lihzahrd temple early so that is completely possible. The same is true for actuators. So that is no problem. It would also have to be immune to teleporters as well, this is another current mechanic for the Lihzahrd Temple. If fact, that brings up a good point. If there were to be a neutral block that is treated indefinitly like Lihzahrd temple before being unlocked that requires Luminite axes to mine it would solve both suggestions in one. With the added bonus of guaranteeing the block is late/end game. The trick would be denying enemies in the same fashion players are. It just means players will be unable to be actuate it. (A small price to pay in my opinion, especially since it wouldn't be functional actuated anyway.)

As for one way walls, that is a bug with the game in general. It is unreasonable to take a bug into consideration when creating a feature. (Could you imagine if invincibility machines were taken into consideration for boss balance?) Doing so turns the bug into a feature. Could that be abused? Yeah, just like how players abuse it now to fight enemies through walls. (Now that I've addressed that and given that is an exploit, I would prefer not talk about that particular bug further.)

It is unreasonable to take a bug into consideration when creating a feature.
:D that literally made my day. Well, you're not a programmer, I presume.

Could you imagine if invincibility machines were taken into consideration for boss balance
That's exactly what was done for Moonlord, his damage causes special invincibility frames on player, so standing on top of some slime/spike/whatever won't work vs him.

Yeah, general idea is still good IMO. Just maybe it shall be made differently. Maybe just some spawn preventing furniture item or something completely new. Why not just build in the sky like all people do anyway btw? Also, buses are so abusy... Dragon Staff (or minions in general) are.. what, despawned when touching such a brick? Sucky. Can't pass thru it? Huge rework and summoning outside will still work. Putting some sentries outside, then going inside will work. How do you even get inside by the way? A door? But it may let monsters in as well. And who knows what might be made out by sneaky players and work as well.

A mechanic is already in place to prevent using rod of discord to get into the Lihzahrd temple early so that is completely possible.
Rod of Discord is blocked by natural "Lihzahrd Brick Walls" if Plantera wasn't killed in this world. That's all, it's not about bricks actually, might take a lot of work and thinking to make it work nicely.

:D that literally made my day. Well, you're not a programmer, I presume.

That's exactly what was done for Moonlord, his damage causes special invincibility frames on player, so standing on top of some slime/spike/whatever won't work vs him.

That is correct, and Moon Lord has been complained about all over the place for being too hard. Causing players to create new exploits while frustrating younger or less skilled players. Not my opinion of a good solution. And as stated before, balancing to a bug makes it a feature since it is assumed a player will use it. What happens if the bug is fixed later? Everything would need to be rebalanced to a non bug world. It makes more sense to just let the people who want to use the bug use it and let the rest of the world play normally.

Maybe just some spawn preventing furniture item or something completely new.

Thats totally fine, but the point is to block all spawns not just minimize like peace candle/calming potion. Not sure the devs will like the idea of giving players the power to block all spawns. Besides, Invasions, Blood Moon and Eclipse override basic spawn rules anyway. Even in a place where NPCs lower enemy spawns they still attack.

Why not just build in the sky like all people do anyway btw?

I do, edge of the world to avoid invasions, pillars, dungeon, jungle, desert. Midway in the sky to stop wraiths but low enough to prevent harpies and wyverns. Always keep my personal base away from the NPC base and always warp during a solar eclipse. My problem with that, is in a game where building is a primary goal, I build in the same specific place each and every play through. Is it so unreasonable to want a base in the underground jungle which wont murder all my NPCs, or for that matter to have my personal base attached to the NPCs without fear of them dieing? (I get most people watch an NPC die and laugh but, I take each and every NPC death personally since it is my fault. Sure Faye looks like Alura, but she is not Alura.) The very fact you say "Like all people" is the underlying problem. Everyone wouldn't do it if they had more options.

Also, buses are so abusy... Dragon Staff (or minions in general) are.. what, despawned when touching such a brick? Sucky. Can't pass thru it? Huge rework and summoning outside will still work. Putting some sentries outside, then going inside will work.

You have a point, but is that really any different than building a block barricade against non phasing enemies and doing the same thing? I do that in the temple all the time. (Death Sickle goes through walls, enemies don't. All the treasure, none of the danger.) The original plan was to have a block to make killing the enemies irrelevant in the first place, I want to ignore them not fight them. Additionally, as I suggested it should be later in the game. The enemies it blocks are mostly annoyances (excluding Mothron which can still kill an AFK player), however while the player is simply annoyed a single Wyvern can still wipe out groups of NPCs. (Which is why any item in place of the block would need to eliminate spawns not simply reduce them.) I'm trying to imagine a player on or past moon lord, able to make 10p+ in under an hour (Yes I know its possible to get much more, Im talking average player), finding a reason to trap things like wraiths and wyverns thus "abusing" such a block.

On a separate note, in theory whatever game script allows worms through blocks is also used for stardust dragon. In the end to fully implement the block it would need to be addressed anyway. At minimum it should block projectiles both player and enemy which are separate entities and could simply vanish on contact. For teleporting enemies if the block also had a wall it could work like the Temple as you mentioned later in your post. That covers teleporting and projectile enemies. If vine enemies were bounced off that would cover everything but worm type enemies and while not perfect, it would allow a lot more freedom in building bases. I like the idea that it despawns the worm enemy/dragon. I'm not sure why that is so sucky, why protect yourself in an anti enemy block if you plan of fighting?

How do you even get inside by the way? A door? But it may let monsters in as well. And who knows what might be made out by sneaky players and work as well.

I actually figured actuation would work best. Which is one argument against the enemy proof and player proof block being the same. However, lets assume for anti abuse purposes actuation is impossible. I would much rather a normal door I barricade with 3 block every time I enter, than a 100 by 100 block base vulnerable to so many enemies. No different than blocking doors during early game blood moons.

Rod of Discord is blocked by natural "Lihzahrd Brick Walls" if Plantera wasn't killed in this world. That's all, it's not about bricks actually, might take a lot of work and thinking to make it work nicely.

Yeah, the avoid use of Rod of Discord was an after thought, and mostly for the player built stuff. Granted my primary goal with the player "proof" is simply denying the ability to break the block not preventing passing through. As you pointed out if the player "proof" block also had a wall it would solve this issue. (And really why wouldn't there be.)

I appreciate the questions and the holes you present in the idea. Better to work out the flaws early than be caught of guard by them later. Not enough forum users acknowledge criticism so I wanted to make sure I did.

...Moon Lord has been complained about all over the place for being too hard...
Last boss should be hard enough. Non-expert mode is easier as well. Moon Lord has pretty straightforward no cheese strategies and all cheesy ones are mostly related to using hearth statues that you can't nerf anyway and that aren't related to any other "bugs".

What happens if the bug is fixed later? Everything would need to be rebalanced to a non bug world.
With the Moon Lord example - absolutely nothing changes if you fix the bug with invulnerability engines, as he has his own "fix" for those already :D And yes, "rebalancing everything to a non-bug world" is actually needed and totally worth it sometimes and it's mostly called "refactoring" then.

It makes more sense to just let the people who want to use the bug use it and let the rest of the world play normally.
No, can't agree with that. Games don't work this way, especially those that have any sign of multiplayer or comparison/competitive possibilities. You can't give some people "I win" button just cus they were insistent enough. Also, expert/normal mode IS present already as I said earlier.

... not just minimize like peace candle/calming potion ... Invasions, Blood Moon and Eclipse override basic spawn rules anyway. Even in a place where NPCs lower enemy spawns they still attack.
Yeah, I totally get that, and I thought exactly about new (yeah, new game mechanic, not too easy stuff for lazy devs :p) override thing that actually blocks event spawns as well. Kinda like super improved Skeleton Merchant. He eats up helluva lot of spawn slots at once, so might actually completely prevent enemies from spawning in some circumstances. I saw that myself - cave level, creature count says zero for several minutes after he showed up, then I left. Just in a form of a player controlled item like furniture/mechanism. "Shield generator" or something. And it'd block event spawns too, yes, completely block, not improved candles, I do remember the main goal :)

Not sure the devs will like the idea of giving players the power to block all spawns.
Eh, but that's exactly (well, maybe indirectly) what you wanted! Absolute defense inside some area. Super late game and stuff? Clarify this point please.

I build in the same specific place each and every play through ... a base in the underground jungle which wont murder all my NPCs
I hope I understand your pain now, you actually like to build a lot; and yeah, building in the air is the only safe place now. Actually, with a lot of effort, you can build an underground base (blocking huge area around to prevent spawning completely) and it'll be the safest place ever, no invasions, nothing. But it takes a lot of time. (Summoner standing in my usual low-air town does kill Mothrons in a pure AFK mode btw, mostly without even getting hit once!)

Faye looks like Alura
WAT? Blasphemy! Not even close! How could someone ever mix them up!?

The very fact you say "Like all people" is the underlying problem.
Hah, good point. Builders would happily build bases all around the world, true that. (Me too btw, I'm not a 100% or even like 50% builder, but I still do build sophisticated bases, mechanisms and dungeons sometimes.)

is that really any different than building a block barricade against non phasing enemies
Of course it isn't, but that's the initial point - not letting even "special" monsters (those are the absolute minority btw) inside. Well, whatever, I just wanted to point out some simple abuse possibilities, the general point is still standing - you just need your NPCs to be safe while being next to you inside your house built in no matter what fancy (and that's why cooler looking) place.

About Wyverns by the by. My first world was "large". Later I started making "small" ones, they load faster yet still have all the stuff needed. But after literally seeing a freaking WYVERN SPAWN when I went up to the freshly added third floor in my base that is about 20 blocks up from the ground was kinda... outrageous, to say the least. And after a pure summoner playthrough in a "small" world where I was hardly able to kill Wall of Flesh running through whole the Underworld from side to side on the 15th or so try just because of the lack of DPS for such a short distance I totally turned back to "large" worlds. No Wyverns in my attic no more! Plenty of time to kill WoF using some weird stuff!

such block despawns the Stardust Dragon
Despawning minions are the major annoyance to a summoner (well, to me at least, pretty sure most others would confirm that). Resummoning requires changing some accessories, maybe eating food or drinking pots again, diving with a Cute Fishron out. Very annoying. No way I'd want to lose and then recall minions again every time I mirror back home just to dump some loot. If it comes to absolute necessity of making such block - make it "deflect" or even "stun" minions when they are too close to the player or something like that please, not just remove them altogether.

why protect yourself in an anti enemy block if you plan of fighting
Is related to the upper statement. I don't plan on fighting, but I don't wanna lose my minions for the added security. Base always has multiple functions/properties. It is used for different things on different times. Yes, safe base is extremely good, but if this security adds some major inconvenience - I'll pass, it's not a real life where security is on a totally different level of importance :)

Player immunity should be separated from monster immunity as you propose, I agree. Won't write about PVP one yet, it's a totally different and huge thing.

I hope I understood the main idea. And yes, maybe special block would be the easiest concept for base isolation. (Ugh, I can already see those hordes banging on my walls and doors with no chance to get in, but with me being too scared to get out to stop their struggling and screaming... Ouch, reminds me of placing some simple traps outside just as I do nowadays to clean off my walls of this hostile fleshy ocean of monsters. Damn, no, gotta stop thinking about new exploits for now.) Considering some new mechanics that would be required to implement it as intended though, I wouldn't throw out some sort of a "super candle" plan with just one plain and simple mechanic added - absolute spawn prohibition. For the sole purpose of PVE security this would be okay. But blocks might add some other interesting aspects. Maybe even "layered monster transparency", like Wraiths can't go through this one, but Reapers can, and those over there - only Mothrons can.

Meh, Wall of Text again, sorry. Thanks for your patience. I do like the general idea, just needa figure out how to do it and how to convince the devs to add it :)

Last boss should be hard enough. Non-expert mode is easier as well. Moon Lord has pretty straightforward no cheese strategies and all cheesy ones are mostly related to using hearth statues that you can't nerf anyway and that aren't related to any other "bugs".

With the Moon Lord example - absolutely nothing changes if you fix the bug with invulnerability engines, as he has his own "fix" for those already :D And yes, "rebalancing everything to a non-bug world" is actually needed and totally worth it sometimes and it's mostly called "refactoring" then.

The reason I dislike Moon Lord and his situation is the sharp change in difficulty the game underwent following 1.3. Wall of Flesh in 1.0 no problem, Mech bosses in 1.1 a fun challenge, Golem in 1.2 not bad. (Maybe even underwhelming) Moon Lord, Full potion/buffs (Capped at 20) and celestial gear still results in deaths. I do not speak only for myself, I was able to succeed with half of that, (on normal) but I'm not the only one who plays the game and I have on more than one occasion been asked to beat moon lord for someone in multiplayer because they can't. That bothers me. (No boss except the optional Duke Fishron, and the optional moons has ever caused me to do that. Which starting with Pumpkin Moon was progressively moving towards the current balance. Even then, Moons were about additional help not inability, Duke was the first to be too hard.)

Games don't work this way, especially those that have any sign of multiplayer or comparison/competitive possibilities.

This, you are right. When I think of Bug I think hopping backwards up Mario 64's stairs to shoot through walls, or jumping from a bridge with a chicken in Zelda to reach an area early. Thus why I consider them harmless. However, to my distaste today's gaming is all about competition even when there shouldn't be any. I turn on a single player game and play a level to be rewarded with the information that I am the 10897th fastest player to play that level. (See Banjo Kazooie on Xbox360.) Everything is competitive even when it shouldn't be. Take Cluster Truck, a simple platforming game where the leaderboards show times of 0:00. (So, why would I try anyway.) Even in Terraria, outside PvP, players treat items they acquire as trophy pieces rather than a simple part of the game. (Perhaps it is because of the sometimes unfair grinding required for some of them.) I don't care how other players do things, I want to have fun playing the game I bought.

Terraria's PvP, lacking though it is, is a perfect excuse to fix bugs. Multiplayer is not, since players working together would likely agree on bugs to use or not use. (And really in a co-op multiplayer setting, who really cares how someone got something. As described above with Mario, bugs are part of a game, even if the developers didn't plan on it. And just because someone else uses one doesn't mean I have to, nor does it change my ability to enjoy the game.) Even the races I've had to get to X part of the game have been on the honor system. (And if I lose due to cheating, big deal, they won with a cheat that's for them to live with.) Finally, not one "bug" was brought to my attention until the Pumpkin Moon's release. Until then the game was balanced in such a way that I never even considered looking for one. Pumpkin Moon was designed for multiple players but, not everyone had others to work with, meaning those by themselves had to somehow become the power of more than one person. The frost moon and several nerfs followed, from which I firmly believe Duke Fishron was created as step one to stopping exploits, with the Moon Lord being the final more aggressive approach. (Exploits mind you that were mostly created by 1.2 content.) I see that you and I will not agree on this or the Moon Lord's balance, I have said what I wish too and will be dropping the topic. (I welcome your position on what I have said but, I will not be responding to the bug/moon lord topic further.)

Yeah, I totally get that, and I thought exactly about new (yeah, new game mechanic, not too easy stuff for lazy devs :p) override thing that actually blocks event spawns as well. Kinda like super improved Skeleton Merchant. He eats up helluva lot of spawn slots at once, so might actually completely prevent enemies from spawning in some circumstances. I saw that myself - cave level, creature count says zero for several minutes after he showed up, then I left. Just in a form of a player controlled item like furniture/mechanism. "Shield generator" or something. And it'd block event spawns too, yes, completely block, not improved candles, I do remember the main goal :)

Eh, but that's exactly (well, maybe indirectly) what you wanted! Absolute defense inside some area. Super late game and stuff? Clarify this point please.

Yes, I intend it to be very late game as the final offender that I can come up with outside intentionally spawned events and bosses is Mothron. I thought it might be nice to have the recipe include ectoplasm, one soul to stop another. Which would put it after Plantera but before the lunar event. (Though ectoplasm + luminite is my personal preference. Ectoplasm x1 + Luminite Ore x1 = x4 block or something. Hmmm, Maybe thats too low of an output. *Shrug*) The player should be passed the need to fight the enemies which it blocks, which excluding lunar, is everything but golem and dungeon by this point. (And I won't be building a NPC house in the dungeon anytime soon.)

The way I see it there is a difference between ignoring and eliminating spawns. With ignoring, the power exists only for an enemy proof construct, surrounded by the block/wall. Otherwise there is nothing stopping the enemy from spawning inside with you, since it is the block that deters the enemy. An object of any sort that blocks spawns, even late game could be used to halt all enemies on the map rather easily. Obviously it would have an area of effect, My guess is close to campfire range. Alright, just going to place a few here and there and done. No more enemies ever. (You also have to consider that critters including the truffle worm count as spawns for candle/potion. Such a power would halt them completely as well. Not a huge loss, but something to consider.) With blocks, the moment you step outside your protected zone, you are vulnerable. Therefore to be totally protected you would need to build everywhere you want protection rather than placing an item. This way, the blocks primary power is keeping things that don't belong out. Just once I want to be able to AFK from a multiplayer game, get a sandwich without being terrified of coming back and having an eclipse killing me. Not have to worry about enemies spawning on my roof and killing everything as the come down to get me. Not have the same palm wood resort hotel at the ends of the earth, for the NPCs own protection. Again, late game, but if I've killed Plantera or even more so Moon Lord, I should be able to have some control over Terraria's environment.

I hope I understand your pain now, you actually like to build a lot; and yeah, building in the air is the only safe place now. Actually, with a lot of effort, you can build an underground base (blocking huge area around to prevent spawning completely) and it'll be the safest place ever, no invasions, nothing. But it takes a lot of time. (Summoner standing in my usual low-air town does kill Mothrons in a pure AFK mode btw, mostly without even getting hit once!)

Hah, good point. Builders would happily build bases all around the world, true that. (Me too btw, I'm not a 100% or even like 50% builder, but I still do build sophisticated bases, mechanisms and dungeons sometimes.)

Oh yes, I know it well. Its the same principle as maximizing spawns just in reverse. I only have to build walls 50 blocks above and below the edges of my base and 85 left and right of it. Just means my 10x10 base becomes 110x180, in this case only 198x the work. (Yeah, I know I'm being dramatic with a 100x100 base its only 5x the work.) Silly drama aside, I'm not foreign to the concept, but once you clear out all that space and finish all that building are you really even in the biome anymore? Sure I could clear the area, place the wall and rebuild the blocks, but I think most people would find that a bit extreme. Oh, and of course I cant place snow, ice, sandstone, hardened sand, mud wall or pretty much any wall found underground to recreate the biome... Just saying.

WAT? Blasphemy! Not even close! How could someone ever mix them up!?

I may be only one of a few, but when I spend 100+ hours talking to the same NPC only to have a random spawn or wayward projectile kill them it really upsets me. Seriously what are the range on Pumpkings and Lunatic Cultists projectiles?

Of course it isn't, but that's the initial point - not letting even "special" monsters (those are the absolute minority btw) inside. Well, whatever, I just wanted to point out some simple abuse possibilities, the general point is still standing - you just need your NPCs to be safe while being next to you inside your house built in no matter what fancy (and that's why cooler looking) place.

About Wyverns by the by. My first world was "large". Later I started making "small" ones, they load faster yet still have all the stuff needed. But after literally seeing a freaking WYVERN SPAWN when I went up to the freshly added third floor in my base that is about 20 blocks up from the ground was kinda... outrageous, to say the least. And after a pure summoner playthrough in a "small" world where I was hardly able to kill Wall of Flesh running through whole the Underworld from side to side on the 15th or so try just because of the lack of DPS for such a short distance I totally turned back to "large" worlds. No Wyverns in my attic no more! Plenty of time to kill WoF using some weird stuff!

Yeah, I never use small worlds unless my goal is to raid it for those rare 1/20 map items like Seaweed, Fish, Sandstorm in a bottle, etc. (Or because I need flame traps which are usually 1-3 to a temple.) I never playthrough on those maps, too much headache. I once had Harpies spawn at the generated "ground" level. Nope, having none of that.

They are a minority, but there is still a lot. And of course there has to be one in every location I could want to build. Sure sky only has Wyverns. Jungle only has Angry Trappers and Man Eaters. Underground only worms,Tim and Rune Wizard. Infected Snow only has Pigron. (Infected snow being an inevitability of being in underground snow without a lot of preparation or clean up.) Surface only has Mothron, Reaper, Wraith and Goblin Sorcerer. (Assuming you weren't unfortunate enough to build where a pillar pops up.) Desert and Underground Desert only has Tomb Crawlers, Dune Splicers and Desert Spirits. Underground Hallow only has chaos elementals. Granite only has Granite elementals. Crimson/Corrupt is uninhabitable. (Though if it gets too close clingers and floaty gross are still possible.) Dungeon and Underworld are still dangerous even if all spawns/projectiles could be blocked out. So yeah... again a tad dramatic but I have a point to make. (Less to you and more to other readers.)

Despawning minions are the major annoyance to a summoner (well, to me at least, pretty sure most others would confirm that). Resummoning requires changing some accessories, maybe eating food or drinking pots again, diving with a Cute Fishron out. Very annoying. No way I'd want to lose and then recall minions again every time I mirror back home just to dump some loot. If it comes to absolute necessity of making such block - make it "deflect" or even "stun" minions when they are too close to the player or something like that please, not just remove them altogether.

Is related to the upper statement. I don't plan on fighting, but I don't wanna lose my minions for the added security. Base always has multiple functions/properties. It is used for different things on different times. Yes, safe base is extremely good, but if this security adds some major inconvenience - I'll pass, it's not a real life where security is on a totally different level of importance :)

Sounds like a pain, probably why I have never invested in summoner. That said, upon further consideration despawn wouldn't make sense anyway. Your dragon/pets would be treated the same way worms would. Phasing enemies like wraiths would bounce off. Teleporting enemies would not be able to select inside as a valid target (With help from walls). Projectiles would vanish just as some do for normal walls. That leaves vines and worms. Vines I would assume bounce the same way phasing enemies would. So it would be weird for just worms to outright despawn. Bouncing makes the most sense over stunning, the catch would be making sure every segment bounces not just the head. Otherwise, large things like Dune Splicer could fling their tail inside.

But, this just gave me a great idea. So, should this be made I'm going to make a giant bug zapper with traps lining the outside with this block lining the inside, then during eclipses I'll stand on the inside and let Mothron get the death it deserves. (Vengence!) Once again, before someone panics, I couldn't build such a thing until after I've encountered a few real eclipses.

Player immunity should be separated from monster immunity as you propose, I agree. Won't write about PVP one yet, it's a totally different and huge thing.

I just want to point out its not Player immunity exactly. The point is to have a block that is hard to break unless someone is at the end of the game. The reason to want such a thing is for adventure maps or pathways that players can't get to until end game. I prefer let the game progress naturally and add elements to it rather than build a linear adventure. You bring up a good point about PvP, granted if someone is able to place it only someone equally far in the game would have a chance against them. This is why Terraria needs a creative mode, the player block could be like how Minecraft has bedrock/obsidian. Since it can only be placed in that mode it wouldn't come as a surprise to players on PvP maps. (Though, that is a concept for another thread.) With those battlefields I described earlier, I tend to line it with Temple blocks to keep people not far enough in the game out. Issue with temple block is the Jungle Biome it comes with. Its a basic part of the block and not something I would want changed, but its a hinderence when I make battlefields out of "weaker" biomes. Thus the desire for a neutral block that requires the strongest current pickaxe to mine.

Besides, its no different than when 1.2 came out. I just want a neutral (uncorruptable, in case I didn't mention that before now) version of the same thing for current end game.

I hope I understood the main idea. And yes, maybe special block would be the easiest concept for base isolation. (Ugh, I can already see those hordes banging on my walls and doors with no chance to get in, but with me being too scared to get out to stop their struggling and screaming... Ouch, reminds me of placing some simple traps outside just as I do nowadays to clean off my walls of this hostile fleshy ocean of monsters. Damn, no, gotta stop thinking about new exploits for now.) Considering some new mechanics that would be required to implement it as intended though, I wouldn't throw out some sort of a "super candle" plan with just one plain and simple mechanic added - absolute spawn prohibition. For the sole purpose of PVE security this would be okay. But blocks might add some other interesting aspects. Maybe even "layered monster transparency", like Wraiths can't go through this one, but Reapers can, and those over there - only Mothrons can.

Meh, Wall of Text again, sorry. Thanks for your patience. I do like the general idea, just needa figure out how to do it and how to convince the devs to add it :)

Always appreciated. I will say, I can't help but imagine I'm discussing with Vash himself. Which is good for a laugh.

*End note, I proofread this three times. And two hours after starting I'm still finding errors. So... I apologize for any errors I missed.

Last edited:
If someone's struggling at expert, normal is the way to go, dropped gear doesn't differ. And after he gets all he wants he can beat things on expert as well. Some challenging content is absolutely required in every game that wants to stay interesting and entertaining enough. And Duke's so cute! I liked him a lot when he was added and even now I go on him with lower gear just for fun or some tests, a great fight. Also, more than a year has passed from Duke to Moon Lord. A year, Carl! New stuff is required sometimes. Pumpkin and (especially) Frost moons were more multiplayer oriented, tru dat. But even in a single player mode (that I play like 99% of the time) it was absolutely
possible to slowly get all and any loot they offered without using invulnerability engines and hardcore trap-filled arenas. At least it was fun to progress on those events and they did return me back to the game for some days. I understand you like to build mostly, and you want to be able to get all the stuff others can get without actually making an effort. But a lot of people don't play this way and they won't even play games that can be played that way, it feels dull. Terraria has a pretty nice overall balance imo (content for practically any kind of a player) and I don't want them to just remove parts of it cus someone finds something "too hard". Oh, this topic wasn't about balance anyway, lets move on :D

Building a simple wall is not much harder than putting up a single item on the map, people do it all day long while building houses. So what's the big deal with that? Yeah, okay, you can effectively block spawns in some huge area, potentially whole map, but that'd actually take a lot of effort already anyway, digging, ton of items, whatever.
And if you do want those peaceful walks in the jungle-park under the moonlight - you can now have them, because you did progress to the very end of the game and deserved that right. And you don't have to be contained inside some kind of an ugly tunnel made of some blocks that all look the same. You see those blocks all the time, damn it, every time you get to any base around. Why can't it be built of something prettier? Why those damn blocks again? Even coloring them doesn't help that much, they are still there, and they have to be there. And you can't have roof without monsters banging on it all the time.

Critters might be an issue right away, but spawn blocking still comes to correctly implementing just a single relatively new (based on some existing actually) and pretty straightforward game mechanic, not a sophisticated one, that involves much more touching and tweaking here and there. Another easy "exploit" I remember using in some early game stages was building a wall and using a single-block hole in it to shoot monsters outside, how would it work with this new megablocks? And saying that it's irrelevant cus you don't need to kill those monsters anyway already is actually a pro argument to just blocking all the spawns altogether. Your inevitably upcoming vengeance onto all Mothrons in the world using "a giant bug zapper" is a pretty nice abuse case itself btw :p Did write about those things in previous posts. But this outrageous case is a pure call to action for the Royal Society of Preventing Cruelty to Mothrons and Other Innocent Monsters! I suddenly realized what I dislike about current housing system, and "antispawn" thing would fix that, unlike "megablocks". With "just walls" (or "megawalls", no matter) you have monsters around your base most of the time/often. If/when they get killed they drop loot. Loot is all around the place. I can't (not just me as far as I know) stand it. Even mere coins ruining my lawn are extremely annoying. I have to pick them. And the second I finally pick them all and get back inside... more mobs die outside! Darn it. No magic wall would fix that. Spawn prevention would.

Also, spawn prevention is actually a cool thing to have for custom map creators, no more confined areas and background walls with no blue sky visible required, you can let people walk around freely and only spawn monsters using statues (now we have plenty of different ones) at some precise spots when it's needed.

Ain't gonna talk about PvP blocks, I am not prepared for that, and not too interested as well :)

All that "too much effort/too hard" vs "too low effort/too easy" thing. You are constantly using those terms (in some other words) and sometimes even both of them related to one thing. This is strange and inconsistent from my point of view. Cleaning up some underground area to block spawns is too hard, yet possibly putting some item to stop spawns is too easy. Building some megawalls appears to be just fine (well, actually its practically as easy as putting a single item up, but oh well). All those gradations things work about you only (well, some other people as well ofc). So you intend on implementing some feature based on your standards exactly. And yes, I intend on implementing it based on mine ones :D We just shall not forget about other people out there. Huge things need more generalization and thinking. Maybe "shield generator" might have "postponed" activation or something, so when you put it on the ground it doesn't work initially. But turns on two days later lets say. Or a day. Or a week. Whatever. Like some sort of a plant that blooms later. This way you can't stop spawns at will, but houses will be safe eventually. Or it needs to be connected to both oceans with wires and special magic luminite pumps for whatever reason (it gets it's antispawn power from the magical water ether)! That'd require some effort, yet it'd potentially allow you to make nice clean yet safe areas in the world. Or there could be no more than five (one, two, ten?) active shield generators in the world (like 101st target dummy in the world doesn't have it's invisible "dummy soul" that actually takes hits so only 100 target dummies can work as intended in one world). Or it's crafted using Gravity Globe (from expert Moon Lord's Treasure Bag), that would explain where monsters disappear btw - they just fly away to the Moon in this zero-gravity conditions.

All in all. Going to summarize some pros of the "shield generator" as opposed to the "megawall" as I see them:
  • Much less potential abuses (silly me, I keep believing something can't be abused by villains!)
  • No random loot outside the base walls (might be too subjective, but still)
  • No ugly (or cute, yet still too repetitive) walls all around the place, so absolutely minimal interference into the wilderness to make it look absolutely any way you like
  • Effort to make it and use it can be tweaked pretty easily (ugh, not like that's a real bonus over the "megawall", but I just wanted to point out it might be harder to use than a simple furniture item)
  • Nice for custom maps (unless there is a low limit per world ofc)

Woah, it's extremely flattering to be compared to Vash :D But as I know him he'd convince the devs to implement both features to make everyone happy!

Building a simple wall is not much harder than putting up a single item on the map, people do it all day long while building houses. So what's the big deal with that? Yeah, okay, you can effectively block spawns in some huge area, potentially whole map, but that'd actually take a lot of effort already anyway, digging, ton of items, whatever.
And if you do want those peaceful walks in the jungle-park under the moonlight - you can now have them, because you did progress to the very end of the game and deserved that right. And you don't have to be contained inside some kind of an ugly tunnel made of some blocks that all look the same. You see those blocks all the time, damn it, every time you get to any base around. Why can't it be built of something prettier? Why those damn blocks again? Even coloring them doesn't help that much, they are still there, and they have to be there. And you can't have roof without monsters banging on it all the time.

You have a point. The idea of a totally safe jungle, a desert that can be entered during a sandstorm or just a fishing spot without harpies or whatever else is nearby, is nice. Especially without having to go all industrial revolution on the surrounding area. (I really like the moonlight walk visual, I wouldn't need walls, blocks, or anything to enjoy that.) Additionally, its true that you can't really abuse enemies if nothing spawns at all. Can't farm what doesn't exist. As bosses are immune to all of this, it would be tough to find a way to abuse such an item. I came at this idea from a developer stand point. If I built a game world, what would I want. It seems like it would hurt to have a game that is 1/3 about combat, (Arguably the third with the heaviest emphasis.) and have a mechanism to eliminate spawns. Especially given the assortment of "random" events it has. Honestly, straight enemy elimination IS the better option. Why have enemies around when you could have nothing around. I just don't think pushing such a change has a chance of being considered. I opted for a more moderate approach in the middle of annoying enemies and removing enemies. (And again, from a developer standpoint I wouldn't be too keen on a mechanism that halts all the work I put into making enemies. At least if they spawn, they are waiting for you when you get out.)

Critters might be an issue right away, but spawn blocking still comes to correctly implementing just a single relatively new (based on some existing actually) and pretty straightforward game mechanic, not a sophisticated one, that involves much more touching and tweaking here and there. Another easy "exploit" I remember using in some early game stages was building a wall and using a single-block hole in it to shoot monsters outside, how would it work with this new megablocks?

I see you put exploit in quotes, be careful though. Remember, the game is about building and fighting. There does need to be some ability to build against the player's environment. (Frankly, as long as the game allows building it is inevitable.) Its not an exploit to fight in a fashion that is not face to face combat. (See medieval towers.) One way walls, Hoiks, Spike, Hellstone/Meteor, Invulnerability Machines are exploits. Building a fortress or even a fox hole and attacking from it is not. (Its just a different way of fighting.)

Beyond that, yeah a halt on spawns is already partially a mechanic that the devs would simply need to amplify. More so than blocking phasing enemies and projectiles. That said, once again it falls to the moderate stance over the extreme endpoint. Don't get me wrong, if Cenx or another developer came in here and said "Let's add a spawn blocking furniture." I would be totally on board. But, I fear that pushing for that will see no results.

Your inevitably upcoming vengeance onto all Mothrons in the world using "a giant bug zapper" is a pretty nice abuse case itself btw :p Did write about those things in previous posts. But this outrageous case is a pure call to action for the Royal Society of Preventing Cruelty to Mothrons and Other Innocent Monsters! I suddenly realized what I dislike about current housing system, and "antispawn" thing would fix that, unlike "megablocks". With "just walls" (or "megawalls", no matter) you have monsters around your base most of the time/often. If/when they get killed they drop loot. Loot is all around the place. I can't (not just me as far as I know) stand it. Even mere coins ruining my lawn are extremely annoying. I have to pick them. And the second I finally pick them all and get back inside... more mobs die outside! Darn it. No magic wall would fix that. Spawn prevention would.

RSPCMOIM, the ReSPeCt MOM? (ReSPeCt MOthroM?) Well, they will be on my case anyway because the inability to prevent it phasing doesn't prevent me from vengeance. (Since I can't currently ignore them, I have a nice spot which will deal with them.) You are 100% correct about the loot, drives me crazy. I dismiss any summons I have when I leave an area so I can grab the drops without more being generated. (By summons I mean the 1-2 free ones the player gets, not the summoner's hoard.)

Also, spawn prevention is actually a cool thing to have for custom map creators, no more confined areas and background walls with no blue sky visible required, you can let people walk around freely and only spawn monsters using statues (now we have plenty of different ones) at some precise spots when it's needed.

As long as the world isn't limited to a certain amount. But, at that point are you really playing Terraria anymore or does Terraria become the RPG Maker for 2D adventures? Certainly it makes sense, and I'm sure would be appreciated. I mean, creators can do almost that now, likely with tEdit. (Due to the work involved with locking spawns over an entire map.) I dunno, just seems like that would only make it easier to make Terraria a means to an end rather than a game itself. (Actually... <.< >.> , might be a good way to create proof of concepts/prototypes for games. If they test positively, make it for real in another engine...)

Ain't gonna talk about PvP blocks, I am not prepared for that, and not too interested as well :)

Eh, its ok. Its not really meant as a PvP block per se anyway, the idea is just to have an "ultimately" unbreakable block the way Temple block acted in 1.2 but without the jungle biome. That way map makers can lead players all the way up to Moon Lord rather than losing the ability after Golem. (Or just keep people from breaking your structure.) Every part of Terraria's history had a block like that, up until 1.3. (Hellstone, Adamantite, Temple) Just want that back. (Again, as a neutral variant.)

All that "too much effort/too hard" vs "too low effort/too easy" thing. You are constantly using those terms (in some other words) and sometimes even both of them related to one thing. This is strange and inconsistent from my point of view. Cleaning up some underground area to block spawns is too hard, yet possibly putting some item to stop spawns is too easy. Building some megawalls appears to be just fine (well, actually its practically as easy as putting a single item up, but oh well). All those gradations things work about you only (well, some other people as well ofc). So you intend on implementing some feature based on your standards exactly. And yes, I intend on implementing it based on mine ones :D We just shall not forget about other people out there. Huge things need more generalization and thinking. Maybe "shield generator" might have "postponed" activation or something, so when you put it on the ground it doesn't work initially. But turns on two days later lets say. Or a day. Or a week. Whatever. Like some sort of a plant that blooms later. This way you can't stop spawns at will, but houses will be safe eventually. Or it needs to be connected to both oceans with wires and special magic luminite pumps for whatever reason (it gets it's antispawn power from the magical water ether)! That'd require some effort, yet it'd potentially allow you to make nice clean yet safe areas in the world. Or there could be no more than five (one, two, ten?) active shield generators in the world (like 101st target dummy in the world doesn't have it's invisible "dummy soul" that actually takes hits so only 100 target dummies can work as intended in one world). Or it's crafted using Gravity Globe (from expert Moon Lord's Treasure Bag), that would explain where monsters disappear btw - they just fly away to the Moon in this zero-gravity conditions.

Its true, you and I have different ideas of hard vs easy. As stated before I'm aiming for the moderate path, in hopes it is a more viable suggestion. Again, if a developer said, "sure let's add an enemy spawn blocking furniture" I'd be all for it. I just have a very hard time believing the developers would be for that idea. As for specifics, yeah I think that filling the spawn region (~170x100 and that is if the structure is player sized) is a bit much. Especially when, once you clear out that much area, unless you replace the blocks you dug up, you lose the biome you were in. (Wouldn't be underground snow or jungle anymore. So, I'm not solving the inability to make an underground snow base.) But, unless the crafting materials were rather intense, placing 1 or 2 items is also much easier than farming, crafting and placing blocks. (Being hard/easy here depends entirely on the methods of obtaining. Since I was already looking at Luminite and definitely ectoplasm. I struggle to find a comparatively fair requirement to compensate for the complete removal of enemies and the ease in placement. Peace candle + Luminite Bars + ???) And of course in the item scenario, if the world limits how many you can have it also effectively limits the number or size of potential structures. (Though, as long as all NPCs are in the same place, just a few would cover the most important things.)

All in all. Going to summarize some pros of the "shield generator" as opposed to the "megawall" as I see them:
  • Much less potential abuses (silly me, I keep believing something can't be abused by villains!)
  • No random loot outside the base walls (might be too subjective, but still)
  • No ugly (or cute, yet still too repetitive) walls all around the place, so absolutely minimal interference into the wilderness to make it look absolutely any way you like
  • Effort to make it and use it can be tweaked pretty easily (ugh, not like that's a real bonus over the "megawall", but I just wanted to point out it might be harder to use than a simple furniture item)
  • Nice for custom maps (unless there is a low limit per world ofc)

Woah, it's extremely flattering to be compared to Vash :D But as I know him he'd convince the devs to implement both features to make everyone happy!

All valid points. I think it would be worth creating a thread for the spawn blocking item specifically. (More exposure, and it would mean two different chances to get a fix.) People will more likely see it, rather than reading through our now several towers of text. Since you have a better idea of what you would want, do you want to do that or should I? (I don't think a new thread will be an issue since it is a very different execution than what I suggested. Also, I promise not to post "first" if you do. :dryadtongue:)

Oh, I did read your opening statements. But, as promised in my last post I won't be commenting further. Wanted to let you know I didn't ignore them.

O crap, two weeks have passed. I'm so bad :(
I don't think developers would be too unhappy to let true endgamers (okay, lets make completing all the achievements a prerequisite for this spawn blocking stuff!) do what they want. They already can block practically anything having all those Drills, Rods of Discord and almost unlimited money. I personally made a nice jungle hut for my Witch Doctor in the real jungle without removing biome - just by swapping all natural walls in a huge area to those bought from the Dryad. And if some of players (not even lategamers, anyone) decide they are too lazy to make this manually they can just take some TEdit (aha, you do mention it lower) or whatever, load their world of choice in it and smack things around. It has nothing to do with devs work being "underestimated" or "skipped". Endgamers without powerful options will just stop playing eventually (so devs work get gets "ignored") until some new content comes out. Letting them play this sandbox the way they want and to invent new ways to play is a much better option overall.
Also, all this stuff we're discussing here might actually become irrelevant at some point as they intend to release some "Creative Mode" or something like that
if I understood correctly. It might change everything.
Custom maps and modding are very good things to have. It keeps all kinds of players around. Modding might be a little too hardcore, but a mere map with some storytelling and controlled monster spawn is nice.
Yeah, adding a progressing level specific block that can't be broken until you get to that level looks fine, even retroactively.
A side note concerning biome destruction upon making a safety zone: you don't need to remove blocks at all, just replace all natural background walls with crafted/bought ones (worked perfectly for jungle as I stated earlier).
If you'd like to - do start a separate thread about spawn blocking mechanic. Or don't, totally up to you. It was all your idea nevertheless, I didn't even think about this stuff before I saw your thread.
I don't know how things get "acknowledged" around here tho. This thread seems to be interesting for tons of people, it exists for a months, so, how can you understand that some dev/community manager actually saw it?

Back
Top Bottom