Biomes & Nature Event-Hurricane

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

tywilburn162001

Terrarian
You might be thinking, "this seems kinda useless" but just hear me out:

This event is an event similar to rain, but it causes moderate flooding that dissipates after some time, but destroys torches, grass, etc. This event also has fast winds that can blow NPC's and players in a certain direction, and normal water (like in lakes and stuff, not the storm surges) makes waves about 2-4 blocks big that crash to the shores, this would be a purely cosmetic effect. There are some Hurricane-specific mobs that resist the strong winds of the event, and drop a Wind Shield (0.25% chance) that provides immunity and maybe 2 defense.

Perhaps the hurricanes can occour in different strengths, like they do in real life, all categories spawn with normal rain enemies as well as event specific.

Category 1: Weak flooding, winds. Normal Waves are not very common, enemies spawn with 20-40 health, enemies include Mini-Spouts and Guster. Pre-HM
MiniSpout- Looks like a 1.5 block tall waterspout. Does 5 damage.
Guster- Cloud mob that floats towards player, shoots KB projectiles with WindSword. 5.25% chance to drop WindSword.

Category 2: Moderate flooding, weak-ish winds, enemies lightly blown around, 30-50 health. Chance to be stuck by lightning. Pre-HM.

Category 3: Moderate flooding, Strong winds. Waves are more common than in Cat1 and Cat2. enemies health same as Cat2, Medium Spout enemies. Pre-HM.
Medium Spout: Cat3+ version of MiniSpout, in hurricanes these can spawn Mini's do not. Does 2x more damage and has 1.5x more health.

Category 4: Worse flooding, strong winds. Waves are highly common, about 3 block apart. Furious Nimbus (stronger than normal Angry Nimbus) as well as other rain and hurricane enemies. Post-HM Pre-Plantera
Furious Nimbus: Has more health and does more damage than Angry Nimbus. Drops Numbus rod at same rate of Angry Nimbus.

Category 5: Bad flooding, very strong winds. Waves 2 blocks apart. Same enemies as Cat4, possible Waterspout based boss, the boss summons 5-6 MiniSpouts when damaged. Post-Plantera.
Boss-MegaSpout- Spawns MiniSpouts when damaged, has 150,000 health, Shoots the player upward on contact. Always Drops the Spout Staff, which is a Minion item that has 35 damage. Defeating boss increases Cat3+ hurricanes chance for occurring, out of the 5 other Categories, Doesnt affect hurricane chance at all (still at 1 in 15)

Last edited:
I dislike the idea of my torches being destroyed, even if it would make sense for the event. How about temporarily disabled? So, they get toggled sort of like other light sources?

Aside from that I like it. Just needs a little more fleshing out. Such as when it occurs (pre-hardmode, post (insert boss)) and actually creating mobs :p

Edit: Also, the accessory should do more than just provide immunity to this specific event. That is a little too situational, and 2 defense doesn't really compensate. :D

The torches being disabled does seem like a good idea but i meant that if its like completely submerged and if the torch isnt in a house.Also what else would the accesory be for?

Wind Shield (0.25% chance) that provides immunity and maybe 2 defense.
Does this tinker with the Ankh Shield?
It should, understanding that the Ankh Shield is the 'shield of shields', but that's for you to decide.

Otherwise, I support. :dryadsmile:

The torches being disabled does seem like a good idea but i meant that if its like completely submerged and if the torch isnt in a house.Also what else would the accesory be for?

I don't know :p Maybe make it have a chance to produce a gust of wind when you get hit, knocking back enemies all around you? Increase glide time? Add some sort of dash to it? Just something to do with wind.

Does this tinker with the Ankh Shield?
It should, understanding that the Ankh Shield is the 'shield of shields', but that's for you to decide.

Otherwise, I support. :dryadsmile:

Paladin's Shield doesn't tinker into it :p Nor do some immunity items. Like the immune to frost or freeze or whatever.

A gust of wind to knockback enemies does seem like a good idea and it doesnt tinker into the Ankh Shield, like the paladin's shield. But maybe it could also increase ranged projectile speed for some types of arrows. I dont want it to do too much as its a mid-pre-hardmode shield, thats why it would have 2 defense.

Wuv it. Absolutely wuv it. I feel the theme you're going with here! Also, the Wind Shield gives immunity, right. Immunity to WHAT?

A gust of wind to knockback enemies does seem like a good idea and it doesnt tinker into the Ankh Shield, like the paladin's shield. But maybe it could also increase ranged projectile speed for some types of arrows. I dont want it to do too much as its a mid-pre-hardmode shield, thats why it would have 2 defense.
A boost to arrow velocity sounds interesting, though it would be a little weird for a shield. Maybe it could be a Quiver? Some other ideas I came up with:

Arrows gain +15% knockback & +7% damage
Arrows pierce through multiple enemies
Arrows ignore 4 points of enemy armor, +25% arrow velocity
Movement & Melee speed increased by 7%
Melee attacks have a small chance to gain +50% knockback
Increases movement speed until taking damage, when damaged the boost returns after not taking damage for 10 seconds

I like the idea, but I don't feel like it's complete.

How about more drops? For example a Hurricane Staff that basically works the same way as the old Aqua Scepter.

This idea really has potential, you just need to add more stuff to it

Wuv it. Absolutely wuv it. I feel the theme you're going with here! Also, the Wind Shield gives immunity, right. Immunity to WHAT?

It gives immunity to the wind gusts the hurricane has. I thought it was implied.

A boost to arrow velocity sounds interesting, though it would be a little weird for a shield. Maybe it could be a Quiver? Some other ideas I came up with:

Arrows gain +15% knockback & +7% damage
Arrows pierce through multiple enemies
Arrows ignore 4 points of enemy armor, +25% arrow velocity
Movement & Melee speed increased by 7%
Melee attacks have a small chance to gain +50% knockback
Increases movement speed until taking damage, when damaged the boost returns after not taking damage for 10 seconds

Well that makes sence, but the shield cant just do the 2 defence and gust immunity.

I like the idea, but I don't feel like it's complete.

How about more drops? For example a Hurricane Staff that basically works the same way as the old Aqua Scepter.

This idea really has potential, you just need to add more stuff to it

I see what you mean with the Hurricane staff. But it seems a little odd as the hurricane is mainly just wind and flooding rain.

I have created a basic sprite for the windshield, its basically just a yellow-ish shield with a swirl (reference to the cartoon-wind swirls)
not a good spriter, but it gets the 'wind' part out. i would like for it to look something like:
WindShield ITEM.png

EDIT: Ive also created an example sprite for the WindSword, it fires a low-damage projectile that sends foes flying away. It can be useful for knocking enemies away for players who dont want to fight at that time. Maybe it can look somewhat like this:
WindSword.png

Sorry they are bad sprites, im not the best with Paint.Net right now.

Last edited:
I'm definitely giving this suggestion my support, but seeing as Terraria is already overwhelming you with Solar Eclipses and Blood Moons, when post-Plantera, maybe it would be nice if said boss would have a 100% drop chance of some sort of item that would work in a way in which, when some sort of event starts, let's use the Blood Moon for example, you use the item, a strong wind blows through the screen for 3 secs, and when it's done, it has removed the Blood Moon, and the night goes on like normally.

I'm definitely giving this suggestion my support, but seeing as Terraria is already overwhelming you with Solar Eclipses and Blood Moons, when post-Plantera, maybe it would be nice if said boss would have a 100% drop chance of some sort of item that would work in a way in which, when some sort of event starts, let's use the Blood Moon for example, you use the item, a strong wind blows through the screen for 3 secs, and when it's done, it has removed the Blood Moon, and the night goes on like normally.

Well blood moons have a 1 in 10 chance to happen. (i think its been a while sense ive calculated, so that may be wrong) and hurricanes have a 1 in 50 chance or a 1 in 25 chance to happen instead of rain. the boss only spawns in the Post Plantera Cat5 Hurricane. This makes any category a 1 in 5 out of other categories. So really that item would be hard to get regardless of the 100% chance.

Last edited:
Well blood moons have a 1 in 10 chance to happen. (i think its been a while sense ive calculated, so that may be wrong) and hurricanes have a 1 in 50 chance or a 1 in 25 chance to happen instead of rain. the boss only spawns in the Post Plantera Cat5 Hurricane. This makes any category a 1 in 5 out of other categories. So really that item would be hard to get regardless of the 100% chance.
I suppose. Got any better suggestion then?

And also, plenty of people, mostly people that build and has reached the endgame, would agree with me when I say we need such an item in the game, as everyone hates when you build, and then suddenly an invasion appears, which completely ignores the mob spawn immunity that your NPCs grant you, and then you are forced to fight the dang invasion, which takes away plenty of time from your building. Besides, we all know that the chance of a Blood Moon, Solar Eclipse, Goblin Army, Pirate Invasion and Slime Rain combined, makes for quite alot of annouying event when in end-game and trying to build or just goof around.

Back
Top Bottom