Switch Evil biomes spreading questions

Hermit19

Terrarian
I have several questions I can't find the answer to online or need confirmation if I understood correctly.
I will mainly ask about corruption but of course it's the same with crimson.
Hope you can help:

1.) do corrupted ice blocks spread corruption too?

2.) I'm about to contain the corrupted areas with tunnels, 6 blocks wide and with wood as non-corruptable (is that a word?) blocks as barriers + sunflowers on the surface. But I'm wondering if it isn't also necessary to destroy the background walls in that tunnels since they can spread the corruption as well. This wasn't explicitly mentioned in the guides I read.

3.) Do I assume correctly that every evil biome can be found just by walking along the surface and follow its paths underground? So i can just contain them and there is no chance of another areas somewhere separately in the cavern or underground areas? (I'm still in pre-hardmode so there's no spread through blocks=

4.) when I contained everything correctly and switch to Hardmode I can ignore these areas since they are contained and no new ones will be created. The only thing I have to worry about is the creation of a hallowed area. Is that right?

Probably more to come 😉

I have several questions I can't find the answer to online or need confirmation if I understood correctly.
I will mainly ask about corruption but of course it's the same with crimson.
Hope you can help:

1.) do corrupted ice blocks spread corruption too?

2.) I'm about to contain the corrupted areas with tunnels, 6 blocks wide and with wood as non-corruptable (is that a word?) blocks as barriers + sunflowers on the surface. But I'm wondering if it isn't also necessary to destroy the background walls in that tunnels since they can spread the corruption as well. This wasn't explicitly mentioned in the guides I read.

3.) Do I assume correctly that every evil biome can be found just by walking along the surface and follow its paths underground? So i can just contain them and there is no chance of another areas somewhere separately in the cavern or underground areas? (I'm still in pre-hardmode so there's no spread through blocks=

4.) when I contained everything correctly and switch to Hardmode I can ignore these areas since they are contained and no new ones will be created. The only thing I have to worry about is the creation of a hallowed area. Is that right?

Probably more to come 😉

1. Yes, corrupted ice can spread corruption, but only in Hardmode.

2. Background walls cannot spread world evil to blocks.

3. In any existing world evils in pre-hardmode, yes.

4. In Hardmode, both one new corruption and one new hallow are created, and they slope downward in kind of a \ shape all the way down to the Underworld. You’ll have to quarantine the new world evil as well.

Awesome, thanks so far!

1. Yes, corrupted ice can spread corruption, but only in Hardmode.

2. Background walls cannot spread world evil to blocks.

3. In any existing world evils in pre-hardmode, yes.

4. In Hardmode, both one new corruption and one new hallow are created, and they slope downward in kind of a \ shape all the way down to the Underworld. You’ll have to quarantine the new world evil as well.
1.) I have several corrupted ice blocks slightly separated from the main corrupted areas. Nearly missed them. Guess I'll have to check dig way more tunnels just to get sure...

2.) As far as I know they can spread to other walls or does that stop at some point? I don't want my whole map have corrupted walls even if it doesn't count as a corrputed areas per se.

3. & 4.) What happens in hardmode then? Do I need to worry about "hidden" separated corrupted/hallowed areas or just the mentioned"main" one that can be followed from the surface to the underground like the others (but in \ / )?

Awesome, thanks so far!

1.) I have several corrupted ice blocks slightly separated from the main corrupted areas. Nearly missed them. Guess I'll have to check dig way more tunnels just to get sure...

2.) As far as I know they can spread to other walls or does that stop at some point? I don't want my whole map have corrupted walls even if it doesn't count as a corrputed areas per se.

3. & 4.) What happens in hardmode then? Do I need to worry about "hidden" separated corrupted/hallowed areas or just the mentioned"main" one that can be followed from the surface to the underground like the others (but in \ / )?

Walls can only be corrupted up to eight tiles from a corrupted block, so you don’t need to worry about that.

The main new corruption and hallow are your biggest concern, but upon breaking a demon altar there’s also a 2/3 chance to spawn either a single corrupt or hallow tile somewhere underground. Usually impossible to find and takes a long time to begin to spread, so only worry about these if you run across them. Just don’t go nuts breaking demon altars - they have diminishing benefits and breaking 6 should be plenty.

Walls can only be corrupted up to eight tiles from a corrupted block, so you don’t need to worry about that.

The main new corruption and hallow are your biggest concern, but upon breaking a demon altar there’s also a 2/3 chance to spawn either a single corrupt or hallow tile somewhere underground. Usually impossible to find and takes a long time to begin to spread, so only worry about these if you run across them. Just don’t go nuts breaking demon altars - they have diminishing benefits and breaking 6 should be plenty.
Once again, thanks. That helps a lot.
Nevertheless it seems that digging several tunnels, from top to bottom and west to east, seems like a better idea than only containing the pre-hardmore corrupted areas.

Once again, thanks. That helps a lot.
Nevertheless it seems that digging several tunnels, from top to bottom and west to east, seems like a better idea than only containing the pre-hardmore corrupted areas.

It’s impossible to tell where exactly the new hallow and corruption will spawn, and you don’t want to do an insane amount of digging to quarantine evil that just spawns in the wrong place anyway. I’d quarantine the prehardmode biomes, activate hardmode and then block out the new hallow and corruption after getting gear strong enough.

Or if you don’t care about it too much, you can do what I do and block off any towns and my jungle from corruption and then just let it go wild.

Defeated the Wall of Flesh meanwhile.

I'm wondering now, if thorny bushes can grow 6 tiles in all directions why is it recommended to build tunnels only 4-6 tiles (recommendations vary) wide and why on several screenshots and videos no non-convertable blocks like wood are used as barrier? Which points am I missing?

Defeated the Wall of Flesh meanwhile.

I'm wondering now, if thorny bushes can grow 6 tiles in all directions why is it recommended to build tunnels only 4-6 tiles (recommendations vary) wide and why on several screenshots and videos no non-convertable blocks like wood are used as barrier? Which points am I missing?

Thorns will only spawn on grass tiles, not ebonstone, so as long as you have something on the surface ti block grass then thorns aren’t a concern.

Back
Top Bottom