PC Expert mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

piemansauce🌳

Queen Bee
With the introduction of expert mode in Terraria 1.3.0.1 I've seen MANY complaints about how hard/unbalanced it is. I have 1 answer... ITS HARD! Expert mode is supposed to be difficult and unbalanced to give the player a feeling of underpoweredness to make you try harder.

So maybe the loot might become irrelevant near endgame BUT STILL it will help for the next boss or two or maybe the whole game! I used the golem stone and spore sac when killing moon lord!

So I say expert mode might just be not the thing for you.

I love expert mode, just one thing is that i find the brain of confusion to be irrelevant compared to the Worm scarf, I guess the trade off is that you get Vampire Knives instead of Scourge Of The Corrupter late game

I love expert mode, just one thing is that i find the brain of confusion to be irrelevant compared to the Worm scarf, I guess the trade off is that you get Vampire Knives instead of Scourge Of The Corrupter late game

That's exactly the tradeoff. Accessory wise Worm Scarf is one of the best, yet Vampire Knives are pretty broken.

... or you could just not start over when you play expert mode... starting out with the stuff you got from the Moon Lord on normal definitely makes playing through expert mode easier ;)

I thought I was not ready for expert at first

I was right when I was smashed by an Ice Slime, but after I defeated Eater of Worlds (before the vile spit fix), things were getting a bit easy. But I shouldn't say that, not with Hardmode on the brink
Don't forget the Life Drain

I actually got used to Expert Mode, this is my new "Normal", when I fight bosses at my Normal Mode world, I find them too easy.

Expert mode rocks, I had a slimes rain start and the first pinky dropped me a slime staff :D:p

Strangely enough, the slime mount, that I got from the slime rain event, helped A WHOLE LOT to kill Skeletron, Queen Bee and Eater of Worlds on Expert Mode (I started a new fresh character with some friends).

Played thru expert mode, got my arse handed to me many many times.

Tried normal again, went back to expert.

Expert is my new normal...

... or you could just not start over when you play expert mode... starting out with the stuff you got from the Moon Lord on normal definitely makes playing through expert mode easier ;)
Except that's not how it is meant to be played, and makes most of the stuff you get from it useless, and it isn't fun murderstomping everything until endgame.

I got used to Expert Mode pretty quickly.

See, all I had to do with not be as clumsy as I was in normal mode. Before, I knew I could take x many hits and still be healthy. Now, I just try not to get hit and it feels pretty normal.

Mind you, I do forget I kind of preemptively undertook harder playthroughs shortly before 1.3's release. This included a 5x health (much more than 2x) and 2x defence playthrough, as well as a 5x health, defence, damage and 10x knockback resistance playthrough. The former I completed, the latter I could not get past the Wall of Flesh.

I am finding my expert summoner play through very, very hard. I have died over and over, and over again. Maybe it will become more fun once I have better gear (currently have meteor armour and space gun) but right now its just annoying and makes me want to tear the flesh off my face and the hair from my head. Enemies do so much damage that you can only take a few hits. You are forced to stop whatever you are doing (like mining) to deal with that annoying bat or slime, or worm. In normal mode, you could just continue mining and kill the enemy with your pick while doing so, but since they have more health in expert mode, you have to get out your weapon and deal with them.

The thought of constantly being killed by queen bee to get the hornet staff is horrible. I just decided to skip it by getting my hands on a reaver shark and going straight to hellstone for the imp staff. Hell is proving to be quite a challenge. Its almost like the game senses when you are building or mining, and increases the spawn rate of lava slimes and fire bats. I know that when I go down to hell, I will only have a few minutes to mine hellstone, because enemies are so damn strong.

Overall, expert mode is very frustrating, and progression is difficult. For me, the thing that makes it so hard is that enemies have double health and are stronger in their attacks. It really does make the early game frustrating. Zombies for example, can sometimes have melee weapons. 3 or 4 hits from those, and you're doomed. It also appears that enemies "home in" on you more in expert mode, like slimes jumping up at you right as you jump. In normal mode, their jumps were predictable.

You cannot afford to be clumsy in expert, or you WILL die. There is very little room for mistakes.

I am finding my expert summoner play through very, very hard. I have died over and over, and over again. Maybe it will become more fun once I have better gear (currently have meteor armour and space gun) but right now its just annoying and makes me want to tear the flesh off my face and the hair from my head. Enemies do so much damage that you can only take a few hits. You are forced to stop whatever you are doing (like mining) to deal with that annoying bat or slime, or worm. In normal mode, you could just continue mining and kill the enemy with your pick while doing so, but since they have more health in expert mode, you have to get out your weapon and deal with them.

The thought of constantly being killed by queen bee to get the hornet staff is horrible. I just decided to skip it by getting my hands on a reaver shark and going straight to hellstone for the imp staff. Hell is proving to be quite a challenge. Its almost like the game senses when you are building or mining, and increases the spawn rate of lava slimes and fire bats. I know that when I go down to hell, I will only have a few minutes to mine hellstone, because enemies are so damn strong.

Overall, expert mode is very frustrating, and progression is difficult. For me, the thing that makes it so hard is that enemies have double health and are stronger in their attacks. It really does make the early game frustrating. Zombies for example, can sometimes have melee weapons. 3 or 4 hits from those, and you're doomed. It also appears that enemies "home in" on you more in expert mode, like slimes jumping up at you right as you jump. In normal mode, their jumps were predictable.

You cannot afford to be clumsy in expert, or you WILL die. There is very little room for mistakes.

That's pretty much how it is at the start of the game, and the start of hardcore mode. It isn't something you can really avoid much until you get better gear, but that requires exploring and dying a lot to get rofl. Expert mode is so fun

With the introduction of expert mode in Terraria 1.3.0.1 I've seen MANY complaints about how hard/unbalanced it is. I have 1 answer... ITS HARD! Expert mode is supposed to be difficult and unbalanced to give the player a feeling of underpoweredness to make you try harder.

So maybe the loot might become irrelevant near endgame BUT STILL it will help for the next boss or two or maybe the whole game! I used the golem stone and spore sac when killing moon lord!

So I say expert mode might just be not the thing for you.

Unbalancing the gameplay isn't the proper way to make a game hard. As much as Expert Mode is supposed to be very difficult, you got to admit that Skeletron is too difficult for his section of the game and should be nerfed appropriately.

Game Design 101. A challenge should be both balanced and fair. Even in Expert Mode, it doesn't make sense for a pre-hardmode boss to be harder than the final boss of pre-hardmode. Typical game design rules apply regardless of intended difficulty level.

Last edited:
Unbalancing the gameplay isn't the proper way to make a game hard. As much as Expert Mode is supposed to be very difficult, you got to admit that Skeletron is too difficult for his section of the game and should be nerfed appropriately.

Game Design 101. A challenge should be both balanced and fair. Even in Expert Mode, it doesn't make sense for a pre-hardmode boss to be harder than the final boss of pre-hardmode. Typical game design rules apply regardless of intended difficulty level.
Skeletron should stay as he is. In Normal mode he's a cakewalk, capable of being killed in wood armor by almost everyone. In Expert, you need strategy and skill to beat him. I killed him with no arena, because I had a plan.

Skeletron should stay as he is. In Normal mode he's a cakewalk, capable of being killed in wood armor by almost everyone. In Expert, you need strategy and skill to beat him. I killed him with no arena, because I had a plan.

If he should stay the way he is, Wall of Flesh should at least be buffed.

IMO, Expert mode is far better than Normal Mode. Expert mode actually requires you to prepare for fights (EG. Potions, Arena, Equipment) rather than being able to 'beat the game' using little to no potions.

I am finding my expert summoner play through very, very hard.

In my opinion, I feel the summoner class is not ready, at least not for an expert mode campaign, lwest defense armor and Minion's AI is pretty bad I was dissapointed when I saw that the best modifier for summon staff is still ruthless summoner gameplay didn't got any improvement in the new update, the only thing was the new emblem and new armor and weapons. but other than that, there's no rebalance for summon gameplay.

IMO, Expert mode is far better than Normal Mode. Expert mode actually requires you to prepare for fights (EG. Potions, Arena, Equipment) rather than being able to 'beat the game' using little to no potions.

Expert Mode is not for me for that exact reason, tbh. I don't like farming and building arenas to prepare for things, since both farming and building are my least favorite parts of the game. (I do the bare minimum building for NPC housing.) I prefer to jump strait into fights without needing to make many preparations.

Also, I beat the game like 6 times since when I bought Terraria on launch day. I need something new, so I shall wait for Otherworld for more Terraria goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom