PC [Finished Project] AFK Moon Lord farm arena

blackshadowwind

Terrarian
As far as I know there is no way to cheese the Moon Lord with invincibility because he's on a separate invincibility timer, so we have to make an arena with hoiks/teleporters that can reliably dodge all his attacks also i'd prefer not to have to use tons of heart statues.

First lets go through the Moon Lord's different attacks and how we could possibly dodge them (all the attack names start with 'Phantasmal' so i'll leave that bit out)

Deathray: can be stopped by blocks
Screenshot_2.png

Eye: home in on player but can also be stopped by blocks
Screenshot_1.png

Bolt: fast projectile, travels in straight line, not stopped by blocks (constant movement needed to dodge, 1s teleports is not fast enough)
Screenshot_3.png

Sphere: relatively slow moving things which move through blocks (homing too?)
Screenshot_4.png

I've tried tried a 4 teleporter loop on a 1s timer but the bolt attacks move kept hitting me because they move too fast

Edit: Here is a video of my current working version and link to steam guide with details https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493595757

Last edited:
from what I can remember its possible to teleport twice per activation if done right. @DicemanX would know better than I but as long as you used an odd number of teleporters you should be able to stay ahead...

Or you could just use a massive hook loop but the death laser could possibly still hit and cause problems...

An AFK (or at least E-Z Mode) Expert Moon Lord farm is something I'm interested in as well. I'm able to E-Z Cheese him because I have sixteen Heart Statues, but that's not very challenging. Developing new and inventive ways to cheese him is challenging, and the faster the better.

There are videos of a player beating Expert Moon Lord without taking a single point of damage. He used TEdit to paste a grid of platforms all over his entire world, so that he could grapple around at will in concert with RoD teleports and Master Ninja Gear dodges.

In my opinion, it's next to impossible to build an effective Expert Moon Lord farm that will all fit on a single screen, at least not without using Heart Statues or the equivalent. I suspect a successful approach will be one that maintains just enough horizontal speed to keep Moon Lord as far away as possible, while also not straying far enough away to trigger his teleportation behavior; and to combine this with frequent rapid vertical maneuvers, such that most of the eyes and bolts miss.

For example, you might try staggered tiers of minecart tracks with teleporters that move you sequentially up and down one tier at a time, thus auto-"dodging" most of the attacks, and then the end of the last bit of track teleports you back to the beginning (and Moon Lord teleports with you). The challenge there is getting the timing of the "tier jumps" tuned so that most or even all attacks miss, ensuring that you stay the right distance ahead of him, and figuring out how to make sure the laser can be blocked without impeding whatever method is being used to kill him.

Barring that, a farm that accelerates the player to incredible speeds (with the Portal Gun and Slime Blocks, for example) may render Moon Lord's teleportation ability moot as he constantly teleports.

It's a tough problem and one I'm hoping to beat real soon.

From testing I found that Moon Lord teleports when you are exactly 150 blocks away, not sure what to do with that information though

I tried this setup—not much different from yours, but I'd had something like this in mind for a while, and his mechanics sort of demand a certain setup if you're going for a small farm—with both portal gun-enhanced falling speed and normal falling speed. (Ignore the red wire.) I used a hybrid melee build with strong defense, a couple of +minion accessories with the Bewitching Table and Summoning Potion, and Star Wrath with Ichor Flask so that I could live long enough to see how the fight went and test a few things during it. I got the eye and both hands down to a tiny sliver of life apiece before I died. All I did the entire time was hold down LMB and chug a couple of potions.

863b6b91f1.png

I should have built the teleporters further apart horizontally, among other tweaks, but even if I had, the long and the short of it is that if you're moving extremely quickly, you'll run into the eyeballs while they're going slow; if you're moving too slowly, the bolts and the eyes will easily hit you, unless you're actually dodging (not conducive to an AFK farm). Re-Logic did this on purpose of course, because they'd prefer not to see a YouTube video titled "E-Z AFK MOON LORD FARM 10,000 LUMINITE PER DAY!". ~;)

That doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to pull off a smaller-sized Moon Lord farm, but I suspect some extremely fancy and specific wiring and teleporter/hoik placement may be required in order to simulate a series of dodges that will avoid most projectiles in most cases, while also being able to always block the laser.

Something I've actually been working on for a while now, this is the... fourth iteration of my design for a Moon Lord farm, and by far the most consistent and fastest (around 8 minutes to kill, usually) that I've come up with:

CDbzUYe.png

Wiring (Messy cluster, wasn't particularly planning on showing yet, but I figured I might as well to see if it'd spark any ideas):
bksuNiH.png

Don't mind the minecart track or green wire connected to all the teleporters, unfinished idea with timing how long it takes to kill the moon lord then teleporting the player to automatically collect the drops.

Stand in bottom left teleporter, turn on timers, nothing more to do. You'll occasionally get pinked by the fast, weak lasers, but in all my testing, I have yet to die to this design.

Keeps the Moon Lord centered at a decent spot where the slow eyes he summons during the first phase should never/barely ever end up floating onto the six teleport points, as well as being close enough to avoid making the Stardust Dragon decide to teleport to you in most cases. Lava is to block spawns so the dragon will only have useful things to target. Second phase should also avoid the True EoCs ever being in a bad place 99% of the time.

Overall, the gear requirements are rather flexible, but for the time I said, the following gear is...

Required:
Stardust Armor
Ruthless Stardust Dragon Staff
Shiny Stone
Cross Necklace/Star Veil - Might not be required with how rarely you get hit, haven't tested.

Theoretical Optimal Setup:
- Mount Shrimpy Truffle and sit in a liquid for free damage boost before/during minion summoning.
- Drink Wrath Potion.
- Use Bewitching Table.
- Use Summoning Potion.
Gear:
- Stardust Armor
- Ruthless Stardust Dragon Staff
- Menacing Summoner Emblem (Swap to Menacing Pygmy Necklace after hitting max summon amount, then Warding Pygmy Necklace after summoning final dragon segment)
- Menacing Papyrus Scarab (-> Warding Papyrus Scarab at end)
- Menacing Necromantic Scroll (-> Warding Necromantic Scroll at end)
- Menacing Hercules Beetle (-> Warding Shiny Stone at end)
- Menacing Avenger Emblem (-> Warding Cross Necklace/Star Veil)
- Menacing Celestial Stone/Shell (-> ???)

Ending side note: You can kill True Eyes of Cthulhu with Mechanical Minecarts (and maybe other variants, never tried), assuming you can manage to actually hit them a few times. Kill all three and you have a new pet (aka the Moon Lord, because he's harmless then.)

So, with a sufficient number of appropriately-spaced chained teleporters, his attacks can largely be avoided? That's what I'd been counting on, but I'd started to think it wasn't possible.

Well, I'm impressed. That must have required a fair amount of trial and error. Great job!

There may be room for improvement, because in theory, the Stardust Dragon can kill Expert Moon Lord in far less than 8 minutes... then again, there might not be, not without starting to take too much damage.

I've been doing a lot of testing with frozen slime blocks. It has occurred to me that a farm based on Heart Statues could theoretically be made to work while AFK, with the addition of frozen slime blocks. Of course, that doesn't help most people, so I'm hoping that I can combine frozen slime blocks/teleporters to create a large, speed-based, maneuverability-simulating arena as an alternative to turtling arenas.

Yay I got mine working now too! It looks a little bit similar to @Full Metal Kirby's design (I promise I didn't copy). No potions needed and kills moon lord in about 1min 35s. Teleports on a 14 tick timer by npc engine, this is the maximum time I estimated I could get away with and still dodge the bolt attacks. Relatively compact with neat wiring too.

1.png

2.png

Expert Moon Lord AFK in under two minutes with just basic blocks, five teleporters, the Merchant (would a target dummy work in his place? Haven't looked into that glitch much yet) and a bit of wiring. Man, oh man.

It's great that you don't have to use potions... but if you don't have to use potions for Expert Moon Lord, are they really even needed at all anymore?

Oh yeah the target dummy would probably be a better idea (much easier to move around). I'll see if I can get that to work.
The gear I used was the same I used for my afk pillar farm:
stardust set
necromantic scroll
papyrus scarab
pygmy necklace
celestial shell
hercules beetle then swap to ankh shield
summoner emblem then swap to shiny stone
(all menacing of course)

Edit: modified it to work with a target dummy, just teleport him in then you can turn the timer on/off as desired (flashing torches indicate timer is running)
Edit2: Also works with tiki armor!
Capture 2015-08-04 00_41_06.png

Last edited:
a farm that accelerates the player to incredible speeds (with the Portal Gun and Slime Blocks, for example) may render Moon Lord's teleportation ability moot as he constantly teleports.
Since I've been testing stuff with the portal gun lately, I decided to try that. I found that his death ray is unavoidable no matter how fast you go, because it teleports with him and you run into it.(tested to about 450 mph) So you need a roof no matter what if you plan to avoid it, but that makes killing him quite a bit harder. I thought about block-penetrating weapons like the lunar flare,. But when I tried that, it took me over 150 mana potions (and I didn't even spam constantly) and over 20 mins to kill him. Not that great, so I tried to think of how can I use other weapons and still block his laser.
ujitUZL.png

I came up with this. By traveling to right at high speed, the moon lord will always be on your left so his death ray will be stopped by the blocks. While the actuated, sloped blocks allow bullets to pass back to the left. You fire up and to the left to hit his hands and face, then staight back to hit his core. That works, because he apparently teleports above you then drops down to his usual position, so his core is above the road bed for a bit. Chlorophyte bullets aren't required for this to work, but it makes A LOT faster since moony only spends about a second on screen.

You also don't even need the portal gun. The 'Bolt' projectiles travel at ~150 mph, but I've never encountered them being fired horizontal, so 102mph (mechanical mine cart top speed) works great at avoiding them. The only time I was hit was when they were fired from directly above me, which was like twice in 5 fights.

Since you rarely (or never depending on RNGesus) take damage, I guess you could try to make this full afk by making a smaller track (mine was the a whole large map) and setting up dart/spear trap batteries. Not sure how long that would take to kill him though.

Back
Top Bottom