Other Game Foul Tarnished: An Elden Ring Thread

AVARUS ODIUM

The Destroyer
I've noticed as of recent that a sizable number of people on here play Elden Ring, and discussion of it seems to take place at random throughout the forums. I'm making this thread so that all that random banter can find one localized place of discussion.

This is a thread to discuss opinions on the game, theories, talk about the lore, etc. Maybe even try and figure out co-op runs..?

Coincidentally, I have been playing Elden Ring a lot more very recently. Resumed my playthrough that was started last year. Just hit 100 hours of playtime.

Overall I enjoy the game and the way it handles open world. Lately I've been tired of a lot of games aiming to have open worlds. Mainly because they can be overwhelming, and doing hundreds of side-quests isn't always fun if they're all open to you at once. It can be hard to focus. But the way Elden Ring handles its open world just feels right.

The map only reveals itself as you explore more, and then locations are added as you visit them, so its never overwhelming, and you're fully encouraged to explore at your own pace. The sheer amount of regions & sub-areas to explore and the insane amount of bosses in this game is also very impressive.

For some more specific thoughts, I'll put those in a spoiler just to be safe. I've played roughly 60% of the game so far, so a lot of this will be up to mid-late game spoilers

The Caelid region is by far one of the most atomspheric and haunting. Was a scary move having the trap chest in the Dragon ruins near the start of the game teleport you completely unprepared into one of Caelid's dungeons with enemies that were far above your level. Then when finally escaping the Sellia Crystal Tunnel, seeing the blood red sky, crimson lake, and fungal trees made an incredible atomsphere. It reminded me a lot of Terraria's Crimson. A similar sort of infection. The T-Rex dogs, and the Godskin Apostle within the Divine Tower have certainly left a large lasting impression.

Caria Manor is probably one of the most interesting dungeons I've done aside from Leyndell so far. Giant hands with 11 fingers put Zelda's floormasters to shame. Aside from the manor being an interesting building, it was neat how it lead to Ranni, and the ability to start her quest.

Lastly so far, there's also Leyndell. Giving the sort of holy/ancient atmosphere. A giant dead dragon in the middle of the city, as well as many enemies that were bosses in the early game now being treated as regular enemies. It is a sign that things have really stepped up for sure.

Shadow of the Erdtree trailer is about to drop for anyone interested! I’m gonna post the link here:

Hmm...
Certainly saw some interesting stuff there... Wish I didn't have to go in a few minutes as would love to discuss and unpack some of that, but, eh, stuff happens.

Back
Top Bottom