PC FPS Insanity

Do you have this problem? (If so, comment your OS and if you have a pretty good computer)

• I have occasional frame rate drops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have frequent frame rate drops

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheGamerMan757

Steampunker
I've seen some other people post this on the internet. Their FPS is just too low. Mine... I just can't seem to resolve it.
SPECS: :bluslime:
Processor: AMD FX-8320 8Core Processor
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Memory: 16GB
Plenty of remaining hard drive space. Good monitors. All of that.

THE PROBLEM: :bluslime:
Every now and then when I'm playing Terraria, the FPS lowers. I've got a good computer. A computer that should be able to handle all the lighting just fine. No. Why would things work out fine? Sometimes the frame rate is at a nice 60. Sometimes it will drop. Sometimes I can go a long time with a consistent FPS. Sometimes it won't stay at 60 for the life of me. Here are some things I try when it drops to 30:
  • I try to change the lighting to retro or something else of less quality
  • I change the quality sometimes
  • I change multicore lighting
  • I toggle frame skip.
Now, sometimes I can get it to stabilize when I change the lighting to something lower, and then change it back to colored again.
When I try to keep frame skip on, not only does it appear to not do what it says, and still gives the annoying "slo mo effect" but it will actually aid in decreasing the frame rate. That's stupid. :/

So, in conclusion, some days I play and it goes pretty fine. Some days it has those terrible lag spikes, but they're temporary and I can shoo them away usually by changing the lighting and back, or just waiting. Some days the horrible lag never ends and I am stuck in slow motion for a good while :sigh:
My graphics are up to date, there's usually next to no RAM being used up, it's just all a mess. How in the world do I combat this? :dryadcry:

Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:
  1. Open nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Choose Program Settings Tab.
  4. Select Terraria as current program.
  5. Turn Triple buffering and Vertical sync to On.
  6. Run Terraria and turn Frame Skip to Off.
  7. The application should be running better than your current setup.
Alternate Solution (The Aero Mode Bug)
  1. Goto your Desktop.
  2. Right Click and Select Personalize.
  3. Enable Aero Mode by selecting an Aero Background Option.
  4. You can also go Fullscreen Mode while Disabled Aero Mode.
Q: Experiencing an XAudio Driver Issue?
A: Check this out about the error: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...out-due-to-xaudio2_6-dll-on-windows-10.32894/

Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:
  1. Open nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Choose Program Settings Tab.
  4. Select Terraria as current program.
  5. Turn Triple buffering and Vertical sync to On.
  6. Run Terraria and turn Frame Skip to Off.
  7. The application should be running better than your current setup.
Alright. I tried reconfiguring things on my NVidia control panel. At the time I'm writing this, I'm about to go to bed, so when I get enough time to play Terraria for a thorough amount of time, I'll update on this. I had a 30 second fly around in a world (which simply isn't really conclusive) but that went well. Thanks, Marcus. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Update:
Well, after doing that my FPS seems to be in a much more stable condition. Thank you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom