Items Fragment + Luminite Weapons

Thought

Terrarian
Isn't it strange that Luminite is only used for armor, pickaxes, and hamaxes? Why not add another tier of weapons/ items?

No Fragment Items:
Lunar Shortsword: 500 damage, reduces enemy defense to 0 for 5 seconds
Lunar Landing Pad: If possible, Celestial Tower will land over this furniture item.
Enchanted Moondial: Acts as an Enchanted Sundial with a separate cooldown.
Lunar Tablet: Summons the Blood Moon.

Single Fragment Weapons:
Sol Stealer: 100 damage, Upgrade of Vampire Knives
Vortex Ammo: Useable by any Ranged Weapon, travels through blocks. Homing.
Nebulous Rain: Upgrade of Nimbus Rod, up to 3 clouds at once. Clouds travel through blocks upon summoning
Stardust Dust Staff: Generates a line of Stardust, enemies that pass through take damage.

Double Fragment Weapons: Uses large amount of resources
Solar + Vortex: Endless Lunar Quiver/Pouch: Upgrade of Endless Quiver/Musket Pouch. (These are two items)
Solar + Nebula: Nebula Star: Increases Max Mana by 10, to a max of 500
Solar + Stardust: Star Heart: Increases Max Minions by 1 Permanently
Vortex + Nebula: Heartshot Gun: Gun weapon, 3% of damage is converted to healing
Vortex + Stardust: Thoughtshot Bow: Bow weapon, has a chance to inflict the "Very Confused" debuff, which makes enemies attack other enemies.
Nebula + Stardust: Cell Generator: Summons a homing Star Cell that deals 100 damage regardless of defense. Upon hitting one enemy, splits into two homing cells for 50 damage. Upon hitting a wall or enemy, each cell splits into two smaller, non-homing cells that deal 25 damage. Upon hitting an enemy, but not a wall, splits into two more cells that deal 12 damage. After that, disappears.

All Fragment Items:
Life Fragment: Increases max life by 1, up to a maximum of 700 (I would go for 833.33333, since that would lead to a max of 1000 with Lifeforce potion, but....)
Mysterious Tablet: Decoration only
Moon Leash: Summons a pet Ancient Vision. While active, Blood Moons and Solar Eclipses cannot naturally occur.
Exo Blade: Beam Sword, Combinable with Terra Blade

Let me just go through and give you my thoughts on each:
Lunar Shortsword: If this is as fast as a regular shortsword, holy crap is that a lot of damage. I guess it does have the downside of not being autoswing and you have to practically hug your enemy, but still, holy crap! also, a better name might be worth going for.
Lunar Landing Pad: This sounds like it'd be used in some sort of farm. I feel this would kinda ruin the whole challenge of the lunar pillars. So I don't support this.
Enchanted Moondial: I see no harm in it.
Lunar Tablet: Name could be improved, but it's a nice idea. We've got a solar eclipse summoner, why not a blood moon summoner?

Sol Stealer: I really like the name of this. Props to you for that. The upgraded vampire knives bit might not be needed, though. Maybe have it not life-steal, but instead inflict the silly solar weapon debuff. Then we'd be good.
Vortex Ammo: This is a nope on so many levels. The Luminite bullets are good enough. This'd just be too far.
Nebulous Rain: Alright, this I could back. An upgraded Nimbus Rod would be cool.
Stardust dust dust dust staff: Just make it the "Stardust staff". Also, isn't this just an upgraded vilethorn? And we kinda have a couple of those already. Give it something unique to set it apart.

Endless Lunar Quiver/Pouch: No. No no no no no. Infinite Luminite ammo? NOPE. Waay too OP.
Nebula Star: I think this could be a neat idea.
Star Heart: Is there a max of these you can use? Really, 3 would be good for this.
Heartshot gun: Eh. Vampire Knives are still a good lifesteal source. Do we need any more?
Thoughtshot bow: Now this is an interesting idea. If it was a slower firing, lower damage single shot bow, yes.
Cell Generator: Sweet Mary mother of overpowered is that OP as heck. Let's not.

Life Fragment: You need 200 of these to get to the max... C'mon, that's too far.
Mysterious Tablet: Why not?
Moon Leash: This is a good idea. I hate being harassed by a blood moon spontaneously.
Exo Blade: Nmeh. We already have 2 endgame swords. We don't need another.

Let me just go through and give you my thoughts on each:
Lunar Landing Pad: This sounds like it'd be used in some sort of farm. I feel this would kinda ruin the whole challenge of the lunar pillars. So I don't support this.
This should be offset by the high Luminite cost, and besides, the pillar that spawns is still random, so it does provide innovative ideas for farms.

Sol Stealer: I really like the name of this. Props to you for that. The upgraded vampire knives bit might not be needed, though. Maybe have it not life-steal, but instead inflict the silly solar weapon debuff. Then we'd be good.
I'd hope for at least some life regen. Definitely not the 7.5% of Vampire Knives, but maybe something like 3%. This could also be for those who plan to stay in one world for an entire game, and get corruption on world gen.
Vortex Ammo: This is a nope on so many levels. The Luminite bullets are good enough. This'd just be too far.
I'll leave the original idea for people to comment on, but here is another possibility:
Vortexian Sharpshooter: Provides a slight homing effect, not as good as Chlorophyte bullets.
Stardust dust dust dust staff: Just make it the "Stardust staff". Also, isn't this just an upgraded vilethorn? And we kinda have a couple of those already. Give it something unique to set it apart.
Sorry, I forgot to mention this was a minion that attacks by leaving a trail of damaging area, and has an AI such that is encircles the enemy.
Endless Lunar Quiver/Pouch: No. No no no no no. Infinite Luminite ammo? NOPE. Waay too OP.
Instead of Luminite ammo, just standard ammo, but with higher damage. So Endless Lunar Quiver had 10 damage instead of 5. Also, benefits from Flasks.
Star Heart: Is there a max of these you can use? Really, 3 would be good for this.
3 Max sounds good.
Heartshot gun: Eh. Vampire Knives are still a good lifesteal source. Do we need any more?
I was hoping to gain some lifesteal for ranged characters.
Cell Generator: Sweet Mary mother of overpowered is that OP as heck. Let's not.
The damage can be reduced to around 80, and the piercing defense can be removed. In this case, that would put the damage per shot at 320, and against an enemy with 25 defense in normal mode, the damage per shot would be 157. Would that make it on par with other weapons?

Life Fragment: You need 200 of these to get to the max... C'mon, that's too far.
Each one would be low crafting cost, like 1 Bar + 3 Fragments each. This would allow the creation of ~10 at a time. Cost and Max life increase could increase proportionally. What increase would be good?
Exo Blade: Nmeh. We already have 2 endgame swords. We don't need another.
True. I can probably remove that from this list. Would like other opinions though.
As for the names, I'm not really good with discrete references, so other ideas are welcome.

This should be offset by the high Luminite cost, and besides, the pillar that spawns is still random, so it does provide innovative ideas for farms.
At the current point in time, a farm is impossible, which I believe is how it was intended and keeps at least some value to the fragments.

I'd hope for at least some life regen. Definitely not the 7.5% of Vampire Knives, but maybe something like 3%. This could also be for those who plan to stay in one world for an entire game, and get corruption on world gen.
I suppose.

I'll leave the original idea for people to comment on, but here is another possibility:
Vortexian Sharpshooter: Provides a slight homing effect, not as good as Chlorophyte bullets.
That sounds better.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this was a minion that attacks by leaving a trail of damaging area, and has an AI such that is encircles the enemy.
I should have assumed this from the "Stardust" part...
Anyways, yeah, cool stuff.
Instead of Luminite ammo, just standard ammo, but with higher damage. So Endless Lunar Quiver had 10 damage instead of 5. Also, benefits from Flasks.
Alright, so a slight improvement? Not a bad idea, actually.

I was hoping to gain some lifesteal for ranged characters.
They really don't need it. With their super-sneaky stealth mode, they can reach DPSes that are only beaten by the Last Prism.

And we know that thing is powerful, though.

The damage can be reduced to around 80, and the piercing defense can be removed. In this case, that would put the damage per shot at 320, and against an enemy with 25 defense in normal mode, the damage per shot would be 157. Would that make it on par with other weapons?
Alright. I guess I could live with that.

Each one would be low crafting cost, like 1 Bar + 3 Fragments each. This would allow the creation of ~10 at a time. Cost and Max life increase could increase proportionally. What increase would be good?
I don't think any increase would be good. +10 life per battle is still going to take 10 battles.

True. I can probably remove that from this list. Would like other opinions though.
It just seems silly, is all.
As for the names, I'm not really good with discrete references, so other ideas are welcome.
I'm not really the best either, although it could probably be managed.

I'm too tired to read over this whole thing, but the general gist seems to be nice ideas but needs a lot of work, support if you change it to be more balanced and make more sense.

- Lunar Shortsword: Shortswords aren't fun. I take it the ridiculously high damage is meant to offset their lousy 'poke in one fixed direction' trait, but it's actually hugely overpowered now. Anyway, really, shortswords are boring one direction pokers, so I don't see why there should be new ones.
- Lunar Landing Pad: The pillars aren't exactly generic space ships. I don't see why they'd use a landing pad that the player placed.
Also, their random placement is part of their challenge. Removing that would allow players to easily create arenas/countermeasures.
- Enchanted Moondial: Unimaginative.
- Lunar Tablet: Waste luminite, the final tier of metal in the game, on something that summons the blood moon, a ridiculously easy early-game event. Doesn't feel right. Not against an item that summons blood moons, but endgame materials should have no part in it.

- Sol Stealer: 100 damage, Upgrade of Vampire Knives - The Vampire Knives are good enough to provide you with life stealing vs Pillar enemies. There doesn't need to be an upgrade.
- Vortex Ammo: Useable by any Ranged Weapon, travels through blocks. Homing. - No clipping bullets? Homing? Way too powerful. Nuts.
- Nebulous Rain: Upgrade of Nimbus Rod, up to 3 clouds at once. Clouds travel through blocks upon summoning. - Also seems too powerful. Weapons that can ignore tiles end up to be ridiculously powerful. *cough*Lunar Flare*cough* Then again, this weapon would also be endgame like the Lunar Flare, so perhaps it does not matter.
- Stardust Dust Staff: Generates a line of Stardust, enemies that pass through take damage. - Could be fun.

- Solar + Vortex: Endless Lunar Quiver/Pouch: Infinite luminite bullets/arrows? The Endless Quiver/Endless Musket Pouch are there for a convenience since you can buy endless amounts of regular arrows and musket balls anyway. Making any other type of arrow/bullet infinite would be too powerful in my opinion.
- Solar + Nebula: Nebula Star: Increases Max Mana by 10, to a max of 500. - The game isn't balanced around having so much mana. Too powerful.
- Solar + Stardust: Star Heart: Increases Max Minions by 1 Permanently. - Neutral/No opinion. Although I guess it could be fun to allow endgame characters to have 2 minions without any type of buff/accessory and wouldn't be that powerful. Summoners are the weakest link anyway.
- Vortex + Nebula: Heartshot Gun: Gun weapon, 3% of damage is converted to healing. - I'm actually not against a Ranger-type of healing weapon, but I'd rather see it appear earlier in the game (right after Plantera, when melee people can get their vampire knives and mages can get their spectre armour). Also, it should be a very poor weapon, damage and healing wise. Getting this thing after defeating the moon lord would make it useless. The moon lord would be immune and you already learned how to take down the pillars. So what would you use this for.
- Vortex + Stardust: Thoughtshot Bow: Bow weapon, has a chance to inflict the "Very Confused" debuff, which makes enemies attack other enemies. - Neutral. I think this'd just be a gimmick, like regular confusion, and not all that useful. Terraria is about killing enemies fast, not confusing them.
- Nebula + Stardust: Cell Generator: Way too powerful. Also, there's already a Cell Staff. Yours seems similar.

- Life Fragment: Increases max life by 1, up to a maximum of 700 (I would go for 833.33333, since that would lead to a max of 1000 with Lifeforce potion, but....) - Frustratingly annoying to grind for, I am sure. Also, the game isn't balanced around having 700-1000 health.
- Mysterious Tablet: Decoration only. - Not enough info, no opinion.
- Moon Leash: Summons a pet Ancient Vision. While active, Blood Moons and Solar Eclipses cannot naturally occur. - The Enchanted Sundial already lets you avoid these events. I don't think there needs to be another one. Would also be annoying to have in multiplayer, as one person could secretly be using this thing and denying others these events.
- Exo Blade: Beam Sword, Combinable with Terra Blade. - Not enough info. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Terra Blade have one final upgrade since it's a sword that people have been building throughout the game. Kinda sad that you instantly trade it in for an easy to get drop from the Martians. But I have posted my own thoughts about that elsewhere.
It should be tiered around the Pillar weapons though, and not be moon lord quality. The moon lord already drops plenty of swords anyway.

Back
Top Bottom