Game crashes on start up.

Zethie

Terrarian
Okay so i've had this issues for years and had the urge to try to play this again due to a friend. My game starts up on steam then about 10 seconds it crashes itserlf without opening.

The remedies I was told to try back when I first reported this was to reinstall Microsoft XNA and framework. I've done that both in the past and now. It does not work. I've tried to have it create crash files using the proper settings listed with -logerrors -logfile. No logs are made at all even if I go to my documents or app data.

Alright could you start up TerrariaServer.exe located in your install directory and screenshot the message it says?

upload_2019-8-29_22-14-1.png

Bowse to: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32" and delete the following folders:

• Microsoft.Xna.Framework
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact
Once you have delete these folders attempt to reinstall Microsoft XNA again. The reason we're doing this is because uninstalling XNA won't touch these folders, so in the event of data corruption we are going to manually remove them and replace them.

Download and install XNA 4.0 Redist from here.

I've done that before I made the post. I deleted the Files, uninstalled XNA reinstalled. Got the same error and if I only delete the folders on their own I'm prompted to repair or uninstall.

Okay, so this is a fix I use for System Format Exceptions, but I'm hoping it will work here as well. Skip any files Windows doesn't let you replace.

This error is thrown when the application or dependency is expecting a file with a 32 bit format but receives a 64 bit format and vice versa.
tfeaJl8.png
Manually replace each and every dll listed below, this covers the most frequent DLL's that will cause the exception to be thrown. Read carefully and do not get any of these mixed up, your hexcode for the file path for the framwork dll may be different, browse to the folders through the file explorer, it will be the only subfolder. Do not paste any file paths. Yes the 32 bit files go in SysWow64 and the 64 bit files go in System32. No, I did not get them mixed up. Yes it's weird, long story on why that is.

Microsoft.XNA.Framework.dll goes in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

32 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCP100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCP100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit X3DAudio_7.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit X3DAudio_7.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

If it doesn't work, first double check to make sure you put the proper versions in their proper places. Watch those P's and R's and the 32's and 64's.

Link to DLL Files.

I did as you followed and the game still does the same thing. However the Server exe error changed to XNA graphics.dll this time.

Okay that's progress. So now this one is again to fix a system format exception regard the graphics dll but it should work here, and again, do not brute force any dll it won't let you replace, skip it instead.

Manually replace each and every dll listed below. Read carefully and do not get any of these mixed up, your hexcode for the file path for the framwork dll may be different, browse to the folders through the file explorer, it will be the only subfolder. Do not paste any file paths. Yes the 32 bit files go in SysWow64 and the 64 bit files go in System32. No, I did not get them mixed up. Yes it's weird, long story on why that is.

32 Bit
D3D8THK.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3D8THK.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit D3D9.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3D9.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit D3DX9_41.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3DX9_41.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCRT.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCRT.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

Download link to DLL Package.

Okay theres no errors when using server.exe now. The game generated a crash log when I started it up this time.

Attachments

• Log_20190829234527368.log
    889 bytes · Views: 124
Okay so now the fix for that is the first post I gave you, maybe try it again now that we've solved the other two. First uninstall XNA, delete those folders if present, then reinstall XNA.

Back
Top Bottom