Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So I'm playing in a Master Mode world and had just reached Hardmode. I was mining towards some items in the corruption and I paused to tab out with the Windows key to check the internet, which I do a lot while playing Terraria. However, when I tried tabbing back in, I had lost almost all input to the game. The game still seemed to be functioning because some of the blocks were still animated and the music was still playing. I was even able to scroll through the crafting menu, access the camera menu, and could even chat, as seen in the image below. Still, I could not click on items or use the escape key to exit out of the menu. I was basically softlocked and had to exit the game. When I tried to join back into the world was when the real problem started. Most of the inputs were still broken and I could only walk while holding the space bar. I could not even jump. I tried to restart the game multiple times to try and fix the problem but to no avail. I feel like the best way to try and fix this would be to back up my characters and worlds and reinstall Terraria. If any of you know a fix for this without having to reinstall the game constantly, I would greatly appreciate it!

On the topic of tabbing out, could you also try fixing windowed mode so that it's actually in a window and not fullscreen?

Here is the screen I got stuck on. I have auto-pause on. Maybe it has something to do with my pickaxe being in the middle of a swing but this has never happened before.
20200529003630_1.jpg

I really hope I can get help with this. Sorry if this came out as a jumble of words as I am not good at explaining things at all. I just wanted to reach out about a major problem and thought this would be better than doing nothing. Further questions are welcome!

This sounds like the "unable to control the character" bug from the known issues, where it occasionally stops responding to keyboard input properly. (It seems to mostly happen when people first load a world, but I've definitely had it happen after leaving the game autopaused for a longish time to use the internet in another window, too.) After it's happened once, restarting Terraria doesn't fix it, but either rebooting your PC or launching the game with "Run as administrator" usually seems to clear it, and then for me it goes back to normal for at least a few play sessions until it randomly returns and I have to do the same thing again.

This sounds like the "unable to control the character" bug from the known issues, where it occasionally stops responding to keyboard input properly. (It seems to mostly happen when people first load a world, but I've definitely had it happen after leaving the game autopaused for a longish time to use the internet in another window, too.) After it's happened once, restarting Terraria doesn't fix it, but either rebooting your PC or launching the game with "Run as administrator" usually seems to clear it, and then for me it goes back to normal for at least a few play sessions until it randomly returns and I have to do the same thing again.

So I got back on today after restarting my PC and it works fine now. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom