**REPORTED** Game lags really badly when using Kaleidoscope whip against destroyer or large groups of enemies.

Z00MM

Official Terrarian
This was in Journey mode.

Whenever you use the whip the fps goes to like 5. Then once the whips animation is done the lag stops this also happens against large groups of enemies (when I say large I mean like maybe 15-20)

I tested eater of worlds to see if the same thing would happen and It did lag but nowhere near as bad as destroyer.

no idea why this happens… haven’t tested non journey difficulty’s but I’d assume it still happens on them.

If someone would like a video on the lag feel free to ask

This isn't a bug. It has something to do with your Nintendo Switch's Processor, system storage can affect how certain games run. You can also decrease the ingame graphics if that helps.

This isn't a bug. It has something to do with your Nintendo Switch's Processor, system storage can affect how certain games run. You can also decrease the ingame graphics if that helps.
It certainly feels like a bug. That’s the only whip that has this issue when using as far as I’m aware. I have plenty of storage on my switch and don’t have my graphics turns all the way up, I have them on mid so that the game does run better then having them on high which I’m pretty sure was the default setting. I’m not saying what your saying about the processor is wrong, but Ik friends where having the same issue so I don’t think it’s my switch per say. Just find it odd when that’s the only whip in the game that does it. The switch isn’t the strongest system out there, but I don’t see why the fps would drop to almost no frames when using this whip, especially when more intense items don’t cause the same issue, it’s only this 1 whip and only really on destroyer as far as I’m aware. It’s no where near as bad anywhere else in the game as far as I’ve tested. There are frame drops every now and again which is expected when your playing it on the switch, a console that doesn’t have very strong resources, but I’ve found no lag as bad as what I’m saying here and I found it very strange that it only happens under these very specific circumstances. It’s by no means a big deal, but it’s definitely strange which is why I’ve listed it here and I don’t see a harm in doing so. That’s all I have to see about it in great detail.I’m not an expert in game development and programming and don’t try to be seen as one. Just sharing my experience with the game and trying to be helpful with feedback. Hope that all makes sense

Last edited:
Ok, after some testing on my PS4, it appears this is indeed something to look into, the PS4 version almost never lags, yet when using that particualr whip on the Destroyer, it does drop the FPS (not by much but it is definitely noticed), i tested the Mourning Star as well as the Firecracker, those dont drop the FPS at all on PS4, so i can assume its how the Kaleidoscope reacts in the game, with the amount of segments it hits (can be lag of its own on lower end devices) as well as the lighting required to create the whip animation, it may be that it just uses a ton of resources for this one attack, enough to phase a PS4 from its almost no FPS drop. This is definitely worth noting, for now, i recommend avoiding that specific combination with the Kaleidoscope and boss type (so Eater of Worlds may cause this too since it is similar to the Destroyer) unless you want to damage either you game data or Switch's GPU

Thx for taking the time to test it on a stronger console. Yea I’m definitely going to avoid this issue as it stresses the system a lot. Once again, thank you for your response ❤︎︎

This happens because using the kaleidoscope on an enemy causes particles and dust to be created, the latter being very slow in terraria in general

getting this thing too - on MacBook air m1 and windows 5600h laptop
I’ll get this one logged in our system - thanks for reporting!
is there a way to hide these exact particles for a temporary solution? tried this one but it removes the whip itself, not particles.

Back
Top Bottom