PC GAME WON'T GO PAST THE THE CHARACTER SELECTION PAGE!!! PLZ HELP ME!!

I love Terraria. It is one of my favorite games. I was so hyped up for the 1.3 update and it turns out I cant even play it. First off I have multiple problems with this update, but I'm only going to talk about one of them in this thread. When I open it, the game flickers and the menu will pop up, but when I click on single player, it kinda freezes, so then I have to click outside of the game to get it to continue to the next page. Well the problem is that when I press play, nothing happens! I clicked outside of the box like I would do to get to the next page, but on the character menu it wouldn't work. It would stay on the same page. Plz help me!! I really want to try out the new features.
I don't know if this would help or not, but this is what it said in the crash report.

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'steam_api.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at Terraria.Steam.SteamAPI_Init()
at Terraria.Program.Main(String[] args)

PS: I use Steam and my computer is a Windows7 Home Premium

Try re-validating the game files through steam to reacquire the 'steam_api.dll'.

To do this:
  1. Right Click Terraria in the steam client
  2. Select properties in the dropdown
  3. In the menu that appears, select Local Files
  4. Select 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'
If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Terraria altogether. If even THAT doesn't work, it is likely a problem with Steam.

A bit of a silly question, but are you trying to run the game without steam (On a flash drive or something similar)?

If not, check this directory ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria") and see if their is a 'steam_api.dll'

EDIT: If none of this is true, then you will likely need to find a reliable source to download the 'steam_api.dll' file, and copy it into the Terraria directory noted above. PLEASE NOTE that 'dll' files can be dangerous, especially if downloaded from the internet, so ensure that you have a system backup, as these files can contain viruses (Most antiviruses even delete them automatically when downloaded, even if they are not malicious).

Don't know why Steam wouldn't be noticing this error when checking for files...

NEW EDIT: View this post

Last edited:
No, I've been using steam. But I don't have a steam_api.dll, but I do have a steam_api
I think I know what to do from here, but you should make a backup just in case (Preferably a system-wide). I take no accountability for anything that may happen however, so proceed at your own risk.

Rename the "steam_api" file to "steam_api.dll"
if the crashes continue or game doesn't load anymore, rename it back to just "steam_api"
if your computer crashes, reboot from the backup

OH! Try running Terraria as an administrator. I forgot that 'dll' access requires administrator access, as it's a system file :p
That should be able to fix it.

Right click on the terraria icon/shortcut, and select properties. Then go to the security tab, and then advanced. I believe it should be labeled as "full access" for your user. If not, go back to the security tab, and select your user in the "Group or user names:" menu. Select edit, and allow "Full control", which should automatically check all the boxes besides "Special permissions". Hit apply, and try running Terraria. I believe this is how things obtain administrator access, and it sounds like your Terraria is having issues reading the file.

If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what will, sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom