Let's see how my second attempt goes...

The actual purpose of the whole thing
Right now, usual walkthrough steps for a single character looks like this:
  1. Create new character
  2. Create new world
  3. Progress through it, activate Hardmode
  4. Overcome additional challenges of Hardmode
I suggest creating an additional step which would involve:
  • result of cataclysmic events, applied to the copy of the current world. (I call it "world-b" for now. Exact events are not really a subject of this whole suggestion, as there can be too many possibilities.)
  • new character (char-b) to explore that world-b with.
  • world-b and char-b can only be created by the game, and always together.
  • current world and current character remain unaffected.
I doesn't look like NG+ to me. Rather, it is a step after Hardmode, but with a bit different direction. Here are key points about world-b and char-b that I propose:
  • world-b, being a copy of current world, has some effects and rules applied to it, making it focused on a whole different and unique challenges, which may be incompatible with current world state. Hence the current world doesn't need to be touched.
  • world-b can be accessed by any character.
  • it still requires char-b to progress and finish.
  • char-b can access any other world.
  • char-b is still supposed to explore world-b first, without that progressing through other worlds will be less effective than with regular character.
  • getting world-b and char-b ready supposedly should be more effective and enjoyable with at least 2 players in game. Still, perfectly possible with just 1 player.
  • exploring world-b with char-b supposedly should be more effective and enjoyable with at least 1 additional player (controlling regular character) in game. Although this will be perfectly possible with just 1 player too.
Creation of the char-b (v2)
Here is a variation of this process which may (or not) fix most of initial negative feedback.
Remember: this whole thing is optional. It has some requirements and limitations, but it will not massively affect your current world, thus making any further mechanics additions perfectly possible.​

Phase 1: Get it.
Requirements: Hardmode, Plantera and Golem defeated.
Dryad starts selling the Cabbage Seeds. They grow and work much like Pumpkins. The Cabbage itself is useless at this point.
Each Cabbage plant, when in its final growth stage, has a certain (not necessary small) chance to drop a Cabbage Baby.
After it is dropped, no other Cabbage plant can drop it again. When you get it in your inventory, all planted Cabbage in this world get slashed or withered. Even if planted again, Cabbage do not grow in this world anymore.

Phase 2: Wake it up.
Item description: Looks like a regular baby. Has a leaf on its head.
Various NPCs may say different things about the baby. The Nurse says that "it's strange that it never wakes up, but maybe..."
You can now get an Incubator (buy it from NPC or craft, not sure yet). You can place the Cabbage Baby in it.
Starting from this moment, plus 3 full days, there is a 1/3 chance each night for the Cabbage Baby to wake up.

Note: It's possible to make an Incubator useful for other purposes. For example, accelerating the growth of certain plants or producing more of plants that otherwise have no means of reproducing. Like Strange Plants, Green Mushrooms etc. It should be expensive to buy or craft.

Phase 3: Meet it.
After Cabbage Baby wakes up, the Incubator gets empty. A new NPC gets spawned, it can randomly be a Cabbage Boy or a Cabbage Girl. You may need a new house for this NPC.
Upon the first meeting, it says "Ma?" or "Pa?" depending on gender of your character. There are options [Hello] and [Close]. If you press [Hello], you get to choose the name for the child.
After you choose a name, the child starts recognizing you as a parent and remembers the name of your character. It can only have one parent.

Phase 4: Teach it.
This NPC now works similar to Angler. There are differences, of course. Each day, it names you 2 items that you must find (or craft) and bring. The items are mostly critters or plants. You are not required to bring both items, but will be awarded for each item. If you are playing with a friend, it's a good idea to split up the requests.

Example of how awards may work:
  • first 1-20 items delivered - awarded with Cabbage. :)
  • 20th item delivered - Parent Figurine, with parent's name carved in. Awarded to Parent character only. Awarded only once.
After 20 items are delivered, it can request a different set of items. E.g. ores, ammunition, fluids. Awards are also different: 90% chance - vanity items, 10% chance - Cabbage.

Phase 5: Done.
You now have the Parent Figurine and can prepare a Bequest Chest. Choose any chest and fill it with items you want to equip the future char-b with, along with the Parent Figurine.
After it is done, talk to Guide and choose [Adventure] option. You virtual character is going on an adventure and leaves the cabbage kid with a bequest.
  • world-b gets created by the game - it is a copy of current world, with added effects. Named "%worldname% - Aftermath".
  • char-b gets created by the game. With same gender as your Cabbage NPC. Named after your Cabbage NPC.
  • Bequest Chest (any chest that contains the Parent Figurine with your character name carved in it) gets empty, its contents get transferred to char-b.
You are now done. Cabbage NPC remains where it was and can still work as it worked in Phase 4. His name does not change on respawn. There are no actual implications for the parent character.

---
Example of how char-b may work, in the scope of above example:
  • His model is equal to any other regular character, except he also has a small leaf on his forelock.
  • He starts with 75 HP. Initial indicator is 5 hearts, 15 HP each.
  • He can't consume Life Crystals. This way, he may not be very useful in fresh pre-Hardmode worlds at this point.
  • He can consume Life Fruits. They will increase his max HP by 15, to the maximum of 300. His HP indicator is green (or gold) instead of red.
  • Once he reached 300 HP, he can consume Cabbage Flowers. They will increase his max HP by 15, to the maximum of 600. His additional HP indicator is pink instead of gold.
  • He gets an automatic small Defense boost during day, while above 0 feet.
  • He gets an automatic small boost to vision during night.
  • A very rough solution for PvP balance would be to immediately cut max natural HP down to 500 and disable the above bonuses, upon starting PvP.
Example of (very few, not enough to build a full image) things about world-b, in the scope of above example:
  • Initially, it provides a very limited (if any) access to the existing chests. They may become completely empty or locked (with requirement of a special key). Of course, players may travel between worlds to store additional items. But the idea is that initial contents of Bequest Chest should be enough to progress at a proper speed. This also provides a challenge for the players to come up with a proper initial set of items.
  • Since the world is a copy of the one which was already finished to some extent, it may not offer much of digging and exploring. It is what supposedly should be fixed by the initial processing when world-b is created. Maybe fill parts of it with blocks again, maybe wipe the torches, etc.
  • World-b is the only type of the worlds where it's possible to obtain Cabbage Flowers. Needless to say, it'll require some actions first, then some cabbage. Exact conditions and recipes are not formulated yet - there can be many variants. After char-b gets his HP to 600, he may not be able to get or craft Cabbage Flowers anymore. If it works like that, this will make it so each char-b is required to finish his world-b to get max HP.
  • World-b may also offer something that another character (who is playing with current char-b through MP) could take with him, for his own char-b. Maybe a limited amount of alternative recipes for Cabbage Flowers.

Last edited:
Still seems really complicated. What is the basic goal that you want to achieve with this suggestion?
A new playable mode in a world you already created that you can play after beating Hardmode, I guess. Did you read the first part of the post?

Isn't this like... 100% literally "New Game +" then? Why suggest all this marriage and childbirth stuff if it's nowhere near the main focus of the idea?

Last edited:
If that's the case, then it might be better to focus on that instead of the process leading up to that.
I think doing so without proposing any proper link would make it feel completely out of place. It might be important to prepare a ground for that first.

Isn't this like... 100% literally "New Game +" then? Why suggest all this marriage and childbirth stuff if it's nowhere near the main focus of the idea?
Can you explain why exactly does it seem like New Game + to you? Personally, I think Expert Mode is pretty much NG+ already. I imagine there are already enough ideas about post-Hardmode worlds. But instead of going further and adding more stuff to existing world, I propose creating a branch of it which may perfectly exist in parallel with any further additions while not being a mere Hardmode clone.

Did you notice how my post has nothing about marriage and childbirth?

I think doing so without proposing any proper link would make it feel completely out of place. It might be important to prepare a ground for that first.
The link isn't all that important though, and it would be better to make it something simple that fits in the game and makes sense for whatever comes after.

The link isn't all that important though, and it would be better to make it something simple that fits in the game and makes sense for whatever comes after.
If I get it right, "this should fit in the game, but the link with the game is not important". How an addition can fit in the game without the said link? Or maybe you suggest to not propose any large additions at all?

Things that "fit in the game" and "make sense" can be very different for different people since Terraria has no persistent story behind it. In the end, developers are the ones who decide what fits and what doesn't. If you ask me, most of Hardmode events don't really make much sense when put together. But that's only me. Maybe someone is only fine with the process "craft an item -> summon a boss/event -> repeat" and that's what fits in the game for them. But I think, if the game ever gets expanded with more gameplay options, this could very well involve far more than a "craft->summon" process.

No, just no.

But ugh, this is a suggestion thread, so here's my opinion:

It feels out of place: This is not Minecraft where you are restricted to one world and cannot change anything save that of what's been given to you in that world. This is Terraria with a create-a-character menu outside to allow you to create new chars, and also Terraria that does not restrict your world choices.

In effect, you're adding needless complexity to what could be called a simple action of just creating another char, which you could use in other worlds.

Also, we don't need gestational periods, childhood periods and etc to create another character. Needless complexity and calculation. Three, what does this exactly propose? I get it's a childbirth thing, but... what...?

You mean you want me to alter my worlds based on what the other guy has done? Yeah, no. I want to build worlds as I envision them - as I please.

Tho this suggestion seems highly unlikely to appen. I do fancy myself with some imagination.

After defeating the final boss the player meets a magical fairy, bestowing upon them a child. You give it a name.
Here's two ideas for a start
1.child will be in a crib
2.child will be a angler sized npc

Then, you do fetch quest for the child to grow. If the npc dies, everything resets.
After about 50th or 100th quest your child will become a full fledge adult and you can play as your child in the character select.

In terms of progression, your world will enter a New World+ mode. Not sure about the engine limit of terraria but we can start off new from there, new mobs, events, etc.

This one's just my personal preference, the new world+ would be a much bleaker and hasher world with giant demons roaming about. The enemy's hp can also get a major boost up tenfold, so you can't mow them down like weed. Or alternatively there could be a sleek new futuristic biome like the cyber or something.

Well that's all. Don't mean to hijack your thread or anything. Just exploring different ideas.

It feels out of place: This is not Minecraft where you are restricted to one world and cannot change anything save that of what's been given to you in that world. This is Terraria with a create-a-character menu outside to allow you to create new chars, and also Terraria that does not restrict your world choices.
I never played Minecraft, so I may not fully understand your point. But in case you think there will be restrictions:
  • Hardmode already has restrictions. You have to complete certain objectives before it activates. My suggestion is same in this matter - you have to complete some things before the world-b can be created. It would still require far less effort than Hardmode though.
  • World-b and char-b are limited to themselves: not really the case. First, there will likely be a way to use char-b outside of world-b from the start, it will just not be easy. Second, after you have world-b, you also have char-b, so it's perfectly possible to complete it. If you think this limits your character choice - remember that characters in Terraria are essentially same and you can change almost every property of them while in-game.
In effect, you're adding needless complexity to what could be called a simple action of just creating another char, which you could use in other worlds.
I'm proposing a possibility of creating a character with different properties, and a world with different properties.

Also, we don't need gestational periods, childhood periods and etc to create another character. Needless complexity and calculation.
If you are talking about the recent version on this page, there will be exactly 2 levels of representation for the "child":
  1. An item, not moving. And still not moving when placed inside the Incubator.
  2. Angler-sized NPC, moving and talking.
That's it. No periods, just some things required to be done.

You mean you want me to alter my worlds based on what the other guy has done? Yeah, no. I want to build worlds as I envision them - as I please.
Again, your current world will remain unaffected. Rather, you'll end up with a second version of your world (world-b) added at your disposal, which will supposedly offer additional challenges and atmosphere.

Tho this suggestion seems highly unlikely to appen.
I realize that, but I think it's a good thing to explore the possibilities.

What you described looks pretty much same to my post at this page, except few things:
  • The need to repeat from the start if NPC dies. From replies in this thread I already learned that stopping pregnancy is a bad option in quite many ways. So in my updated example, the child as an item can't die, and as NPC it will simply respawn if killed.
  • "New World+" mode is similar to what I described as world-b. Except, I really think is not a good time to propose further huge modifications for the current world (post-Hardmode, VeryHardmode, etc.). Proposing new events right after the "final boss" is also likely a bad idea since we don't know if there will be more of them in future updates. So, I proposed a branch of the current world instead. It virtually takes places in future, making many unrelated additions possible after current "final boss".
This is exact feedback I expect for the idea to get more attention, and food for ideas of how new world can work. My example with cabbage child is also just a possibility. If you feel like it, maybe try to describe more of mechanics under that magical fairy and stuff, also will that child be different than regular characters at all?

If I get it right, "this should fit in the game, but the link with the game is not important". How an addition can fit in the game without the said link? Or maybe you suggest to not propose any large additions at all?

Things that "fit in the game" and "make sense" can be very different for different people since Terraria has no persistent story behind it. In the end, developers are the ones who decide what fits and what doesn't. If you ask me, most of Hardmode events don't really make much sense when put together. But that's only me. Maybe someone is only fine with the process "craft an item -> summon a boss/event -> repeat" and that's what fits in the game for them. But I think, if the game ever gets expanded with more gameplay options, this could very well involve far more than a "craft->summon" process.
I meant the link to a new playable mode isn't as important as the actual new mode... obviously it's still important, but if you don't have a fleshed out idea for what comes after, there's no reason to have that link in the first place.

No offense, but terraria isn't a "raise a kid" kind of game. If the player wants to start over, just make a new character and world.

The concept of raising a child, cabbage or otherwise, in Terraria just seems absurd. The only part of this I like is the idea that you could explore a "ruined" version of your world with different mechanics, bosses, etc., but frankly I think that's better suited as an adventure map.

Don't take this as offensive but I think this would be better as a mod because there's a mod like this for Minecraft called Minecraft comes alive which basically turns villagers into humans

Back
Top Bottom