PC Golem AFK autofarm

MrTheEpicNinja

Terrarian
ninja.jpg
So... My first T-MEC thread!
This was originally going to be simple, but then it became more complex.
This setup is possible pre-golem, but you will have to fill the room so that it's square with any other type of block besides lihzard brick. And any lizhard brick that I place needs to be replaced with any other brick. However, this setup is much easier once you have the picksaw.

I have been instructed by Zero Gravitas, to post any ideas here before uploading them as a video, to gain feedback.

Here is the link to the video:
Here is my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJBxK_aREwRWj-TssZ-SNWg

tmec smaller.png

MATERIALS NEEDED:
Platforms
Minecart track
Pressure plate Minecart track
(all the traps from the temple)
All 3 wrenches + wire cutters
999 wire
Actuators
Picksaw (prefferably)
Any type of block but lihzard brick works best.

Without wire:
Terraria 2015-01-13 17-35-40-30.png

With wire:
Terraria 2015-01-13 17-35-33-65.png

For the initial jump onto the mine cart track, wouldn't it be more useful to have some booster tracks on a second row merging into the main track section? It would get you up to speed quickly automatically rather than manually holding down the movement key(s). Out of curiosity, why place the platforms over the tracks rather than under in the version you have now?

As for the wiring, is it necessary for each trap to have its own wiring to a pressure plate? I'd think running over the plates that closely together would have no real benefit. I'd either space the plates apart for staggered trap activation or just consolidate the traps to one wire color per group.

Traps have a lot of quirks to account for. One of the biggest is the total hits/sec you can attain. The other is hit timing (i.e. multiple traps "hitting" a mob at once results in one hit rather than many due to piercing nature of traps: mobs gain invincibility time, if I recall, or something along those lines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Hit timing usually requires offsetting/staggering the trap activations.

Anyway, overall nice idea. I never considered using the mine cart to avoid the Golem's attacks. Maybe you can even later add Heart statues, campfires, and Heart Lanterns to the design so you can keep health up as well. (Since you sped up the video, its kinda hard for me to tell if you got injured much or not.)

So... My first T-MEC thread!
Congrats and good job.
fill the room so that it's square
There's no reason to make the entire temple room square, is there? You mean the Golem containing chamber? Obviously yo ucan meake this a little smaller too, if you wish (an aesthetic choice really). You could make it minimally sized, as I showed in my Golem video, although I don't knoe if that makes the farm boring, or less good in other ways? Certainly I'd think about adding an altar access tunnel beneath the kill chamber, so you don't have to get injured at the start, necessarily.
booster tracks
...Are always fun! (and agree with most of the rest you say there too).
aren't the different traps interfering each others
That is the issue with using spiky ball traps, is that they are likely to take up all the hits themselves (6 hits/s max), so with this setup technically there's not much to gain from having the spear and dart traps too. If you want to use those other types, to aim for faster kill times (for example) then you'd have to take out all the spiky balls first. (Might be worth taking a look at the trap characteristics data, if you haven't already.)

Then you'd have to play with the pressure plate spacing, wiring and cart speed to get a good spread of timing. You could have each spear trap wired to a separate pressure plate directly above it, for a start. Thankfully the Golem is pretty big, so the timings will be quite forgiving and you shouldn't need to break out a calculator (should be able to eyeball it). Have you tried a shorter track length, and perhaps a slower speed? (Use boosters for a reliable travel speed every time, 15 tile/s, per booster, up to 48tile/s.)

Nice attempt at an automated golem farm! The idea of using minecart tracks for both evasion and activation is a great way to make things simple and efficient, and it looks like you worked out the minecart timing down to evade most of the golem's hits.

There are a few things to work on though:

First, there is a lot of trap interference in your set-up. Traps do piercing damage, as Stahn Aileron indicated, and are thus capped at 6 hits per second. That means that some of the traps will interfere with one another. If you keep the chamber flooded with a spiky balls then there's no need for any of the other traps.

The most damaging traps are the spear traps (they do 60 damage per hit versus the other temple traps which only do 40) and they are the only temple traps that can critally hit. It's thus best to omit all other traps and set up the spear traps in a battery: a column of spear traps actuated into the background with staggered activations. I'd suggest ditching all other traps and using 6-12 spear traps in a column down the center of the chamber. The Golem's body cannot move laterally so one spear trap battery is enough to do the job.

Second, traps have cooldowns - 4 seconds for spiky ball traps, 2 seconds for spear traps, and 3 seconds for the other traps. If you go with spear traps, it would be important to time their activations with the minecart so that each one is activated every two seconds.

It might also be a good idea to have a set speed in the track that is consistent and automatic rather than player-controlled. Booster tracks can do that, and the speeds that various combinations of boosters have been nicely worked out by nekojita chem:

You can use this information to calculate how long your track should be, how many boosters to use, and the spacing between the pressure plates to activate the spear traps.

Last edited:
Anyway, overall nice idea. I never considered using the mine cart to avoid the Golem's attacks. Maybe you can even later add Heart statues, campfires, and Heart Lanterns to the design so you can keep health up as well. (Since you sped up the video, its kinda hard for me to tell if you got injured much or not.)
You can avoid the golem, or go full steam ahead In it's face with a minecart like @nekojita, by the way, minecarts can pierce through an unlimited(?) number of mobs, though, do they interfere with traps? Might be useful.

I like it.

I'm not really sure, but aren't the different traps interfering each others ?
The dart traps are for taking down the arms, the spear traps lock the golem into place, but the spiky ball traps do interfere, however they are just there for constant damage.

For the initial jump onto the mine cart track, wouldn't it be more useful to have some booster tracks on a second row merging into the main track section? It would get you up to speed quickly automatically rather than manually holding down the movement key(s). Out of curiosity, why place the platforms over the tracks rather than under in the version you have now?

The booster tracks are a great idea! I should add that!
The minecart was originally 1 block above the platform, but then mobs kept on spawning and interfering, so I had to lower it.

Traps have a lot of quirks to account for. One of the biggest is the total hits/sec you can attain. The other is hit timing (i.e. multiple traps "hitting" a mob at once results in one hit rather than many due to piercing nature of traps: mobs gain invincibility time, if I recall, or something along those lines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Hit timing usually requires offsetting/staggering the trap activations.

Yes I do need to change some of the timings, DicemanX has given me a guide on the trap timings so I need to set that up.

You don't need any health regen because the golem will not deal enough damage, the attacks will all be avoided. I got injured a bit, from the snake, which just gets killed by the impact of the minecart.

You can avoid the golem, or go full steam ahead In it's face with a minecart like @nekojita, by the way, minecarts can pierce through an unlimited(?) number of mobs, though, do they interfere with traps? Might be useful.
Don't you take some damage if a mob has more health than the cart can do damage? I recall taking damage going at full speed when I rammed a wyvern. (I have a SkyTrack(tm) in my base world.)

Back to the farm: As I recall, the Golem spawns above you and drops down, no? Think there would be enough height clearance to set up the tracks UNDER a floor... No, wait... That would lessen the distance between the player and the Golem. Less distance means easier to hit. Never mind. (Too bad the HYPERSPEED bug was fixed...)
The dart traps are for taking down the arms, the spear traps lock the golem into place, but the spiky ball traps do interfere, however they are just there for constant damage.
As noted above, I think raining down spiky balls is actually a detriment to the DPS of the farm. I ran into that problem for my old Frost/Pumpkin Moon battle arena: I flooded the ground with spiky balls. It got to the point that my DPS when down because the spiky balls' hits were preventing some of MY attack damage from registering (off the top of my head, it was interfering with my flamethrower; piercing damage, so I see how that came about. Don't recall if it was affecting my Megashark with Crystal Bullets or not.)

Yeah, I looked closer at the video and saw you take damage. Wasn't sure if it was the Golem or mobs causing that, however.

Congrats and good job.

There's no reason to make the entire temple room square, is there? You mean the Golem containing chamber? Obviously yo ucan meake this a little smaller too, if you wish (an aesthetic choice really). You could make it minimally sized, as I showed in my Golem video, although I don't knoe if that makes the farm boring, or less good in other ways? Certainly I'd think about adding an altar access tunnel beneath the kill chamber, so you don't have to get injured at the start, necessarily.

The trap setup could be smaller, I made it that width so I could fit in the traps, and that height so the dart traps would take out the arms.
The room works best square, atleast the ground should be flat anyway.

Then you'd have to play with the pressure plate spacing, wiring and cart speed to get a good spread of timing. You could have each spear trap wired to a separate pressure plate directly above it, for a start. Thankfully the Golem is pretty big, so the timings will be quite forgiving and you shouldn't need to break out a calculator (should be able to eyeball it). Have you tried a shorter track length, and perhaps a slower speed? (Use boosters for a reliable travel speed every time, 15 tile/s, per booster, up to 48tile/s.)

I didn't know the trap intervals and originally the spiky ball traps were there to stack constant damge on the golem. I do need to use boosters to figure out speed, but they need to dodge the golem's lasers.

Nice attempt at an automated golem farm! The idea of using minecart tracks for both evasion and activation is a great way to make things simple and efficient, and it looks like you worked out the minecart timing down to evade most of the golem's hits.

There are a few things to work on though:

First, there is a lot of trap interference in your set-up. Traps do piercing damage, as Stahn Aileron indicated, and are thus capped at 6 hits per second. That means that some of the traps will interfere with one another. If you keep the chamber flooded with a spiky balls then there's no need for any of the other traps.

The most damaging traps are the spear traps (they do 60 damage per hit versus the other temple traps which only do 40) and they are the only temple traps that can critally hit. It's thus best to omit all other traps and set up the spear traps in a battery: a column of spear traps actuated into the background with staggered activations. I'd suggest ditching all other traps and using 6-12 spear traps in a column down the center of the chamber. The Golem's body cannot move laterally so one spear trap battery is enough to do the job.

Second, traps have cooldowns - 4 seconds for spiky ball traps, 2 seconds for spear traps, and 3 seconds for the other traps. If you go with spear traps, it would be important to time their activations with the minecart so that each one is activated every two seconds.

It might also be a good idea to have a set speed in the track that is consistent and automatic rather than player-controlled. Booster tracks can do that, and the speeds that various combinations of boosters have been nicely worked out by nekojita chem:

You can use this information to calculate how long your track should be, how many boosters to use, and the spacing between the pressure plates to activate the spear traps.

I will use your guide to improve and redesign the setup, making it alot more efficient, thanks for the tips!

nekojita chem
Since you brought up @nekojita 's videos, and we're talking about Golem farming, can anyone here figure out what's shown happening in this video?:
The Golem apparently dies without ever going into the secondary phase (head flying about), hence gets dispatched pretty quickly... He uses a minecart exclusively in this (version 2) video. But the first one used a 135 tile long row of actuated dart traps (too). We discussed it briefly on Steam (on the first video), and neither of us seemed to know what was happening.

I'm not recommending this setup specifically. It's just a little bonus mystery to solve. Is this a minecart specific Golem glitch? Or a misunderstanding? (It is a fast way to kill him without end game weapons, though.)

Edit: Note also that (I think) you could make this type of farm semi-auto-repeating, by holding a stack of power cells and using a mouse macro to repeatedly click, bringing the minecart back into position periodically to spawn the next Golem.

Back
Top Bottom