Good tank accessories (early hard mode and hard mode)

Mark The Devourer

Official Terrarian
Also before I start this thread I wanted to mention that I'm pretty sure that this is the right forum to place this thread in as opposed to general discussions. As this regards my character and accessories this would count as gameplay (and I'm playing on PC specifically). Just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything properly!

Anyway, with that out of the way I've been thinking about tank accessories. There are of course the obvious ones that increase defense like the celestial shell, shields, and the sort. There are also things like the worm scarf that increase damage resistance which will no doubt be very useful. However, there are other accessories that interest me that don't simply provide defense and tackiness as their main benefit/selling point. Since I'm playing on a drunk world currently I can grab both the worm scarf and the brain of confusion. There is also the tabi but in hard mode, but I like to rely on mounts for mobility rather than wings or boots at that point. Some accessories like the star veil also caught my eye. Extra invincibility frames and some falling stars with a cool-looking accessory to boot? That sounds cool! Finally, there are regeneration accessories like that one stone from Golem and the Charm of Myths, but those don't excite me as much as the other accessories.
Also, if I have a spare accessory slot (1 out of seven because I'm playing on Master mode) I plan on just slapping a warrior emblem on there because an extra %15 melee damage is nice! It's also interchangeable with the yo-yo bag if I'm in a yo-yo-ing mood!

Anyway, those are my current thoughts. Do you guys have any recommendations for me?

You can get both brain and worm scarf in hardmode without having to be in a drunk world, buy seed from dyad when she's in a graveyard and make an artificial crimson/corruption on sky or somewhere.

Valhalla knight chest plate has good regen, 4 times more effective than charm of myths if i remember correctly but defensive beetle armor is also great because of it's DR. Titanium armor set bonus is great for facetanking. this is also a good opportunity to mix armor, because Valhalla knight set bonus isn't helpful in boss fights you can replace helmet with something like hollowed helmet.

If you're using a weapon that benefits it's dps by melee speed such a True Excalibur, fire gauntlet and mech glove are better than warrior emblem most of the time.

If you aren't class locked to melee, it's also helpful if you use blade staff for early hardmode with sharpen buff and ichor flask. fast minions benifit more from tag damage so ichor is basically 7.5 tag damage, sharpen is basically 6 tag damage (it applies to summons when holding a melee weapon)

I actually do [have some suggestions], which is quite tragic, seeing as how Tankiness isn't my playstyle or specialty. However, no one here is likely going to suggest it to you, which is why I bothered posting it myself.
  1. IMHO, you should focus on the kind of build you want first, because Accessories aren't the only manner in which you can make-up for low defense [with obvious choices].
  2. Make time to invest in both Endurance and Ironskin Potions, which stack pretty well with just Worm Scarf, even if you choose to be a bit more offensive in Accessory choices.
  3. EDIT: Almost forgot, grab yourself a Bast Statue from the Desert if you can be bothered!
  4. There's also Heartreach, Regen, and Lifeforce Potions, if you consider survivability to be defense as well...
No one else here was going to tell you this, so I trust you find it to be useful. 🤓 📖

Last edited:
I actually do [have some suggestions], which is quite tragic, seeing as how Tankiness isn't my playstyle or specialty. However, no one here is likely going to suggest it to you, which is why I bothered posting it myself.
  1. IMHO, you should focus on the kind of build you want first, because Accessories aren't the only manner in which you can make-up for low defense [with obvious choices].
  2. Make time to invest in both Endurance and Ironskin Potions, which stack pretty well with just Worm Scarf, even if you choose to be a bit more offensive in Accessory choices.
  3. EDIT: Almost forgot, grab yourself a Bast Statue from the Desert if you can be bothered!
  4. There's also Heartreach, Regen, and Lifeforce Potions, if you consider survivability to be defense as well...
No one else here was going to tell you this, so I trust you find it to be useful. 🤓 📖
Thanks for the tips! I totally forgot about the bast statue so I'll definitely pick one up.
Although, what do you mean by, "focus on the build you want first." Like, with armor sets and weapons?

Although, what do you mean by, "focus on the build you want first." Like, with armor sets and weapons?
...since most the "shortcomings" of your Build or Class can be augmented/ adjusted by buffs [Potions, F.Funiture, Buff Stations, Minions, Sentries], I'm simply suggesting you go after the kind of gameplay you enjoy first, and fill-in-the-gaps later-on.

For example: with the short-list you have now, you can focus mostly on offensive Accessories [with the exception of Worm Scarf], even with offensive Modifiers, but substantially increase your defense using other means.

...since most the "shortcomings" of your Build or Class can be augmented/ adjusted by buffs [Potions, F.Funiture, Buff Stations, Minions, Sentries], I'm simply suggesting you go after the kind of gameplay you enjoy first, and fill-in-the-gaps later-on.

For example: with the short-list you have now, you can focus mostly on offensive Accessories [with the exception of Worm Scarf], even with offensive Modifiers, but substantially increase your defense using other means.
ohhhhh ok! That makes perfect sense. I have been swapping and changing accessories as I see fit and depending on the situation. For example; I'll be using the worm scarf or brain of confusion one moment, and then using the ancient chisel later. Maybe I'll use a mount so I can use a different accessory than boots. For the WoF fight, I can use a water walking potion and a golf cart so I can swap off my shield of Cthulhu and boots for something else.

Not sure if someone already said it but, if you can get the Flesh Knuckles they give 7 defense and can be combined with the Mech gauntlet for the Berserker Glove which is a massive melee speed boost plus that defense. Pretty sure it is crimson exclusive though.

Not sure if someone already said it but, if you can get the Flesh Knuckles they give 7 defense and can be combined with the Mech gauntlet for the Berserker Glove which is a massive melee speed boost plus that defense. Pretty sure it is crimson exclusive though.
You forgot to mention the main effect of the flesh knuckle & its upgrades. It increases aggro, so enemies will prioritize you over NPCs and other players. I would recommend upgrading the mech gauntlet into the fire gauntlet, and instead using the knuckle to make the hero shield (Paladin’s Shield + Knuckle). Alternatively, you can craft the berserker glove and go for the frozen shield (Frozen turtle shell + pal. shield). The former increases damage, but the latter buffs defense.

You forgot to mention the main effect of the flesh knuckle & its upgrades. It increases aggro, so enemies will prioritize you over NPCs and other players. I would recommend upgrading the mech gauntlet into the fire gauntlet, and instead using the knuckle to make the hero shield (Paladin’s Shield + Knuckle). Alternatively, you can craft the berserker glove and go for the frozen shield (Frozen turtle shell + pal. shield). The former increases damage, but the latter buffs defense.
last melee run I did I went for damage, now I wanna try going for extra defense. So I was planning to go for Beserkes gloves and frozen shield combo. I really like both accessories, so I thought combining them for a defense build would be fun!
Thankfully I'm playing on the drunk world, so everything should be at my disposal.

Back
Top Bottom