WIP Guise of Azathoth

How is it?

• Good?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not so good?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ya-vulgtlagln Cthulhu hai fm'latgh y-ftaghu?

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Darthkitten

Paladin
I'm no stranger to building in sandbox games such as Terraria and Minecraft, nor am I a stranger to pixel art.

This is, however, my first time building for a Terraria contest, and I would appreciate feedback so that I could improve it.

The only planned difference between my final submission and the one posted below, is that my submission will not be several pictures, and will instead be either a collage or a video.

L6Bl5m1.png

2yODbcZ.png

cg9RqSK.png

bKHbQGa.png

ACeyL9e.png

FtZS1ha.png

0SZxxQE.png

I3Nl3xB.png

isR5V8w.png

436eMoP.png

GMaLXnA.png

fJlP4VG.png

HoSbzQ3.png

QYLZ9Nk.png

lO9lvS8.png

GK0QLAZ.png

Ubz5ODp.png

sulTRti.png

aYI7ctN.png

m5gTsvZ.png

6SBanGg.png

cLzSjVn.png

wQps2Ay.png

GLlGL8q.png

DD1lCWh.png

CqZkjrF.png

85vfrsl.png

IiihuUX.png

lHkVuCn.png

Last edited:
i really like the build as a big build, however i feel like it needs more fine detailing, what i mean is that the map view looks awesome, but in-game, it seems like the furnituring is overall lacking, it's a perfect starting point for an amazing build though, i really see a lot of potential in it.

i really like the build as a big build, however i feel like it needs more fine detailing, what i mean is that the map view looks awesome, but in-game, it seems like the furnituring is overall lacking, it's a perfect starting point for an amazing build though, i really see a lot of potential in it.
Hmmm... I'll see if I can add more furniture to the lower levels.
I think if I added too much more to the upper parts of the castle, it would feel crowded.

Thanks!

after a second look, i think the problem about the furniture isn't really the amount, but i get a very "random" feel from it, the furniture doesn't really seem to fit with the theme, be a bit more selective, also don't only use actual furniture, try to be inventive and imaginative, have a look at other people's threads, some use very clever wall designs to compliment the furnituring, and try not to repeat the same piece of furniture too much in the same room if it's not for any specific design purpose (mainly thinking about the 4 bookcases in one room) play around outside of the building with random stuff, like books, bottles, pots and flowers, whatever you feel like, and try to adapt it to the build's theme, and once you are satisfied, try to incorporate it into your build, even if it means you need to edit what you already have a bit for your new inclusion to look as good as it can.

after a second look, i think the problem about the furniture isn't really the amount, but i get a very "random" feel from it, the furniture doesn't really seem to fit with the theme, be a bit more selective, also don't only use actual furniture, try to be inventive and imaginative, have a look at other people's threads, some use very clever wall designs to compliment the furnituring, and try not to repeat the same piece of furniture too much in the same room if it's not for any specific design purpose (mainly thinking about the 4 bookcases in one room) play around outside of the building with random stuff, like books, bottles, pots and flowers, whatever you feel like, and try to adapt it to the build's theme, and once you are satisfied, try to incorporate it into your build, even if it means you need to edit what you already have a bit for your new inclusion to look as good as it can.

Could you elaborate on what you feel is out of place? Apart from three things, (the pink workbench, the red lanterns and the large pots, which I agree do look a little out of place) everything seems to fit the theme I was going for, which was a Lovecraftian Castle.
Eerie cultist dwellings on the upper part, and a horrific cosmic beast down below.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I know what you were getting at. I had several variations of the same object. For example, chain lantern, steampunk lantern, diabolist's lantern, etc.

Last edited:
here, on the room on the left, i dont think palm wood tables were the best choice, and the paintings looks kinda randomly placed, try using something else other than paintings to decorate the wall.

i like this set of furniture, it looks simple and clean, however (and this is absolute personal bias) i'm not a big fan of chandelliers, specially in big rooms, since they look very small compared to the area it's illuminating. (again, it's just that I don't really like chandelliers), and i'd suggest placing regular wood walls behind the platforms between the wooden beams, it gives a nice effect, or another option is planked wall. and then we have the two small roms below, they look very empty imo and the sudden change of color between rooms looks weird to my eyes.

a little unnecesary tip: try putting up actuaded sloped blocks around the window frames that are slightly seen in the bottom of the picture.

as you said yourself, the pink workbench looks weird, it's a very small item for such a tall room. also, for practical reasons, i'd change the walls behind the platforms, because they are really hard to see atm.

ok, i think i've said all my nitpicks on this, don't take this as an attack to your creation please, as it's not, as i already stated i love the build's shape, and the beast at the bottoms is a pretty interesting idea, and nicely executed as well.

here, on the room on the left, i dont think palm wood tables were the best choice, and the paintings looks kinda randomly placed, try using something else other than paintings to decorate the wall.

i like this set of furniture, it looks simple and clean, however (and this is absolute personal bias) i'm not a big fan of chandelliers, specially in big rooms, since they look very small compared to the area it's illuminating. (again, it's just that I don't really like chandelliers), and i'd suggest placing regular wood walls behind the platforms between the wooden beams, it gives a nice effect, or another option is planked wall. and then we have the two small roms below, they look very empty imo and the sudden change of color between rooms looks weird to my eyes.

a little unnecesary tip: try putting up actuaded sloped blocks around the window frames that are slightly seen in the bottom of the picture.

as you said yourself, the pink workbench looks weird, it's a very small item for such a tall room. also, for practical reasons, i'd change the walls behind the platforms, because they are really hard to see atm.

ok, i think i've said all my nitpicks on this, don't take this as an attack to your creation please, as it's not, as i already stated i love the build's shape, and the beast at the bottoms is a pretty interesting idea, and nicely executed as well.

Don't worry, I wouldn't take this as an attack. I specifically asked for critique.

On the first part, I'm afraid I'd have to disagree on the palm tables. They're one of my favorite parts of that room. They look organic and boney to me, while still not recognisable as actual bone. On the paintings, the only one that bothers me is the large on to the bottom left, because it's frame is lighter and fancier than the rest. I'll try playing around with this room, and see if I can make the paintings look nicer.

On the chandelier part, the only thing I see that could be an issue is the type of chandelier I used. I'll certainly try placing wooden walls behind platforms though. That really should look nice. I'll try the slope thing too.

On the work table part, that room is meant to be a shrine, so I've had a bit of a difficult time thinking of something to hang there. Paintings and wall hangings just look out of place to me there. I'll have to try and add decoration in the wall itself.

Some other things have changed since these last pictures. The room with the four bookshelves is meant to be a lounge/library area, so I've added some platforms with books to the room to better reflect that. I think it looks nice.

I've painted the obsidian vases and the pink table grey, so that they no longer look out of place.

I've replaced the steampunk lanterns, with chain lanterns.

I've replaced the Diabolist's lanterns with purple lanterns (can't remember the exact name).

I've replaced the honey lamps on the upper floors with glass lanterns, though I may change them back.

I've replaced the bone lanterns on the lower floors with honey lanterns. I think this looks very nice.

I've hung some caged lanterns on the outside of the building to light it up a little better.

There is now a black background behind the monster at the bottom. I didn't think the cave wall suited it very well.

I added some lights in the large left tower in order to light it up more.

Honestly, I love this. In fact, it makes me jealous, very jealous to be exact. You have, structurally wise, made a fantastic build and filled it in with fantastic interior designs. The attention to detail is stunning and just everything makes what I would call a masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom