Happiness is out of control, Ruins Towns!

Lakmoots

Terrarian
The ''Happiness" feature is simply out of control. It has ruined everyones ability to build a town, it is SOOOOOOO restrictive!

It is simply a quick way of FORCING people to build their towns in one exact way, with only a certain set of possible combinations or locations.

It is just so different from EVERY other aspect of Terraria, which asks you to build and play as you want - it forces you to do it in a very specific way.

What is worse is this system has been made even more restrictive with the new update. Towns already built in 1.04 no longer work!

We had literally a couple of months before the programmers decided to invalidate everyones towns AGAIN and make us move the NPCs even futher away from each other. This issue is not just frustrating, it actually kills a lot of the enjoyment of the game and has ruined towns that it tooks months (sometimes years) to build.

-- Now, I have to say this, but I wonder if this is a hysterical reaction by Redigit to the Coronavirus and influcenced him to institute some bizarre form of Social Distancing within Terraria.
Why else would someone completely break the rules of a game and invalidate years of peoples work all of a sudden? I know people are under a lot of pressure in 2020, but I just seem to see a correlation between the restrictions put on the world this year and the introduction of a bizarre system no one like that forces everyone to destroy their towns and put their NPCs in a weird isolation.
I hope people get some therapy and get rid of this stupid, stupid system.

I like the happiness system and tbh the price increases don't matter when
- Coin gain was buffed in 1.4
- You get so much money in Expert anyway
Unless I can be bothered to do it, I just ignore happiness and honestly it doesn't affect me much

Basically my NPC's live in stupid little boxes all over the world instead of stupid little boxes in the center of the world. Fishing power, luck, and NPC happiness are too troublesome for me, so I just wing it and sometimes accidentally do it right. Or I do it wrong and I don't get pylons (I have other ways of getting across the world quickly) or slightly better shop prices (I have money pretty easily from fishing and slime rain). Or have my girlfriend build stuff for me, because she has an eye for building, and I only have an eye for hitting stuff with yo-yos.

With that out of the way, I don't think it was a great idea to increase the detection radius by that much. It was already a very controversial system to begin with, as the people that hate it really hate it, whereas the people that like it don't mind it, and the people that are indifferent don't care. Having the NPC detection radius essentially double can cause problems with a lot of people's towns detecting other nearby towns, causing the game to think it's a large town, and then you get crowding, unhappiness, etc, from towns that were completely valid previously. I think it's based under the assumption that people would be building towns in the center of biomes, but sometimes towns end up nearer the edge of the biomes, and 240 might end up with conflicting towns being too close together and causing issues. Sure, for someone like me, that's an easy situation to handle, as I just move my stupid little boxes a bit, but for people that built elaborate, loving structures for each of the NPCs/towns, I can totally get why people are frustrated that now it's not registering.

The update from 120 to 240 does make it easier to give NPCs their own space, within a town, to still register as a town. That much is true, but it's always hard to change an established system after so many people got used to it, and as mentioned, people either love it or hate it, but the feelings are pretty strong about it. Changes that might open up room for certain builds might also be bad for other builds, and it's an important thing to realize. It doesn't bother me much as mentioned, but some people build crazy detailed stuff in this game, and I hope they're able to figure out a way to make it work. Hopefully this is the last time the system gets touched (yes I know final update etc etc), people can't adjust and adapt if it keeps changing.

That said, I don't think anyone needs to go to therapy in this situation. Though therapy is really good to help with overreactions to an ever-changing and unpredictable world, of course, especially in this blessed timeline and year. But I'm sure we'll get through it, one way or another.

The new 1.4.1 Happiness system is mechanically bugged from 1.4.0.5's version. Many combinations that used to work on 1.4.0.5 now no longer work on 1.4.1 .

Here's an example - The Merchant no longer sells the Forest Pylon, when placed with the Nurse in the Forest.

Liked Biome? Check
Liked NPC? Check
No overcrowding? Also check. Only the Guide is living near them, and the Guide is a neutral NPC which doesn't contribute to overcrowding.

So why is the Merchant not selling the Pylon? Doing a bit of comparison reveals that his current happiness level is at 90%.

Other stuff that broke was - Arms Dealer no longer selling Pylons in any biome outside Desert unless both the Nurse and Steampunker are nearby. Originally, pairing the Nurse/Arms Dealer would let the Arms Dealer sell any biome Pylon except Snow.
Stylist no longer sells Ocean Pylons with the Pirate.
Dye Trader/Goblin Tinkerer no longer sell the Desert Pylon when placed together.

thanks relogic

If I have to be honest, happiness was perfectly set up in 1.4. Easy to work with, reliable enough to get pylons without being too easy, and made sense. Now the system is kinda convolluted because they changed all the happiness values and made certain restrictions that don’t work well with each other.

If I have to be honest, happiness was perfectly set up in 1.4. Easy to work with, reliable enough to get pylons without being too easy, and made sense. Now the system is kinda convolluted because they changed all the happiness values and made certain restrictions that don’t work well with each other.
They are likely to be reverting the range change in 1.4.1.2, and hopefully the rest too

Back
Top Bottom