Game Mechanics Hardcore characters should leave behind their portable storage items in a special chest upon death

Human

Queen Bee
Now, I know that Hardcore is meant to be extremely punishing and unforgiving when it comes to losing your resources, but one of the very few things that deter me from trying it out again is the fact that portable storage, which is supposed to be both safer than carrying items on your person and more convenient than storing items in chests, becomes the single worst storage option in Hardcore mode, even when not playing alone, which would normally make item recovery possible. What's the point in using, say, a Defender's Forge if all of its contents will be invariably lost upon death? Also, regular chests don't play nice with coins, making their management a hassle for a Hardcore character.

I have no issue with losing all of the items that are currently in my character's inventory, as this is one of the core things that make Hardcore, well... hardcore, but the fact that all types of portable storage currently need to be avoided like the plague greatly soils my enjoyment, and it feels like an oversight more than anything. I propose that players should leave behind a special 2x2 segmented storage unit, with each of its segments (single blocks) corresponding to Piggy Bank, Safe, Void Vault and Defender's Forge storages, at the exact position of their death (with possible corrections if the site is blocked), in addition to the regular flying tombstone. Said storage should get destroyed once all of its items have been retrieved, and should not accept any new items to prevent it from being a compact "superchest". Players with nothing in their storages will only leave behind a tombstone and their inventory items, as usual.

This wouldn't make Hardcore a walk in the park by any means, as you'd still lose all of your hard-earned weapons, armor and accessories that you had on your person, but you'd finally be incentivized to use portable storage as a Hardcore character, both for the usual convenience factor and for a chance to retrieve at least some of your belongings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom