Hardcore precautions?

Bird up

Terrarian
I like to challenge myself playing on hardcore, and on master mode. I'm aware there's quite a few things that can instantly kill you; Explosive traps, dungeon guardian, using recall items during WoF fight, and some bosses like skeletron and empress of light instantly kill you during day time. Angry dandelions can one shot you early game if you don't have 160 hp. What other precautions can you guys think of?

I lost 2 good hardcore characters, one to the snipers in the dungeon which do an insane 320 damage from across the screen, and one character lost instantly to explosives when my dangersense potion wore off.

I really feel like there's waaay too many newer additions to the game (still more to come) to reasonably check all the threat boxes. 🤔🍹
  1. There's a rare drowning bug that hasn't been 100% fixed yet.
  2. HOIK has been adjusted a tad bit to be less buggy, but you can still get trapped in blocks sometimes.
  3. There are still some lag spikes & performance issues, even one rare issue, where controlling your character is lost (can't even quit the game properly).
IMHO, I'd say wait until beating the 1.4.0.X (1.4.1.X) version of the game first, maybe even with a Med Core Toon, then try all the crazy Hardcore stuff? Too many ways to die right now that won't even be your fault.

I really feel like there's waaay too many newer additions to the game (still more to come) to reasonably check all the threat boxes. 🤔🍹
  1. There's a rare drowning bug that hasn't been 100% fixed yet.
  2. HOIK has been adjusted a tad bit to be less buggy, but you can still get trapped in blocks sometimes.
  3. There are still some lag spikes & performance issues, even one rare issue, where controlling your character is lost (can't even quit the game properly).
IMHO, I'd say wait until beating the 1.4.0.X (1.4.1.X) version of the game first, maybe even with a Med Core Toon, then try all the crazy Hardcore stuff? Too many ways to die right now that won't even be your fault.
For 3, what do you mean by that, is it your character will continue to go one direction? I have that all the time, and I just fixit by hitting the button that goes the direction hard and it gets fixed.

For 3, what do you mean by that, is it your character will continue to go one direction? I have that all the time, and I just fixit by hitting the button that goes the direction hard and it gets fixed.
The issue didn't happen on my end, so I don't know all the details. However, there are several posts similar to the one I reported that are still open tickets, which means it hasn't been patched yet. 🤔🍹

[My Submitted Bug Ticket]

I like to challenge myself playing on hardcore, and on master mode. I'm aware there's quite a few things that can instantly kill you; Explosive traps, dungeon guardian, using recall items during WoF fight, and some bosses like skeletron and empress of light instantly kill you during day time. Angry dandelions can one shot you early game if you don't have 160 hp. What other precautions can you guys think of?

I lost 2 good hardcore characters, one to the snipers in the dungeon which do an insane 320 damage from across the screen, and one character lost instantly to explosives when my dangersense potion wore off.
Tough Pre hardmode Enemies : Granite Golem, Nyph, Purple, Mother Slime, Hoplite
Mostly all underground desert enemies And Crimson Enemies

Why don't you just go on medium-core? It's a pleasant hunt for your items when you die instead of smashing your keyboard into bits from rage. I wouldn't dare making a hardcore character as I could easily lose 70 hours of my life from a disconnected controller.

Ha well I play on PC and haven't had any strange software malfunctions or anything like that. I'd just like to be able to say I can beat whatever the game throws at me without dying. I play other survival games, and if you die it's game over. I like to play in that spirit.

Ha well I play on PC and haven't had any strange software malfunctions or anything like that. I'd just like to be able to say I can beat whatever the game throws at me without dying. I play other survival games, and if you die it's game over. I like to play in that spirit.
how is your attempt going

I was about to finish up prehardmode, I was just looking for a lava charm to complete my terraspark boots before hardmode, but a booby trap chest blew up in my face and killed me haha. I'm going to restart from scratch soon enough.

Having Warding on all your accessories in master mode I found helps a ton. The eater of world accessory and the brain of cthulhu accessory both give you a lot of survivability, so I recommend fighting both of them for those up to the hardcore/mastermode challenge. Always use a spelunking potion and a dangersense potion any time you go mining because it's very dangerous down there.

I was about to finish up prehardmode, I was just looking for a lava charm to complete my terraspark boots before hardmode, but a booby trap chest blew up in my face and killed me haha. I'm going to restart from scratch soon enough.

Having Warding on all your accessories in master mode I found helps a ton. The eater of world accessory and the brain of cthulhu accessory both give you a lot of survivability, so I recommend fighting both of them for those up to the hardcore/mastermode challenge. Always use a spelunking potion and a dangersense potion any time you go mining because it's very dangerous down there.
any advice for not dying to early stupid slimes

Before you get the merchant you can craft a lot of wooden bows until you get one with a good modifier since they are so cheap. That should be good enough to handle slimes at a distance. Frostburn and flaming arrows are also pretty cheap. However once you get the merchant, I always buy a ton of shurikens. They're very good until you get a platinum or gold bow.

Back
Top Bottom