Weapons & Equip Hardmode Throwing Sets

Kesuke

Terrarian
I would like to formally suggest a Hardmode viable addition to the throwing style of play, to expand upon the Ninja Armor and Fossil Armor. I gave it some thought, and while I'm no expert at number crunching, I understand that throwing may be a bit more niche than the melee, ranged, and spell armors. The melee, ranged, and spell armor sets are largely crafted from the same pool of materials once Hardmode begins - the three tiers of Hardmode ore bars (cobalt/palladium, mythril/orichalcum, and adamantite/titanium), Hallowed bars, and Chlorophyte bars to name a few. Summoning armors for the large part require specific materials that are not usable for these three armor sets (such as bee wax, spider fangs and spooky wood), though their crafted weapons often do not follow this routine. This in mind, and bearing in mind a respectable nod to the rate at which armor tier upgrades should become available, I humbly suggest two new armor sets for throwing weapons.

Note: I am well aware the game devs are much more experienced designing and balancing armor sets, like the type and number of materials required, to mention nothing of item statistic bonuses. I am only posting rough draft examples to further shed light on my thought process.

Immediate Hardmode Throwing Set: Unicorn Armor
As the name suggests, there are no real limitations keeping a player from crafting this throwing set once Hardmode is initiated, though it probably becomes easier once the Hallow has a chance to spread. This matches the potential of Spider Armor, as the required Black Widows can spawn in spider nests immediately after Hardmode begins.

Set Piece: Required Materials (Amount):
Unicorn Helm:
Unicorn Horn (14), Pixie Dust (20), Crystal Shard (30).
Unicorn Breastplate: Unicorn Horn (14), Pixie Dust (24), Crystal Shard (35).
Unicorn Boots: Unicorn Horn (12), Pixie Dust (20), Crystal Shard (35).

Set Piece: Statistics (Set Bonus):
Unicorn Helm:
25% increased throwing velocity. (60% chance not to consume throwing item)
Unicorn Breastplate: 30% increased throwing damage. (60% chance not to consume throwing item).
Unicorn Boots: 15% increased throwing critical strike chance, +5% movement speed. (60% chance not to consume throwing item).

Post-Golem Hardmode Throwing Set: Lihzahrd Armor
The reason this armor is described as post-Golem is that it requires Lihzahrd Bricks to be crafted, which requires at the very least a Picksaw from the Golem itself, or, more difficult, a completion of the celestial events and defeat of the Moon Lord (the possibility of which is triggered after defeating the Golem) for pickaxes (or the Drill Containment Unit) that have the power to mine Lihzahrd Bricks. To round the set off, it has additional material requirements that can be met by perusing the Jungle Temple where the Golem resides. These numbers, however, will likely need fine tuning due to random generation of Wooden Spikes inside the Temple - the required Solar Tablet Fragments can be found in chests and are random drops from the Lihzahrd enemies. Because they CAN be found in chests, the amount required is intended to necessitate a minor "grinding" or "farming" aspect (hopefully roughly equivalent in time spent to the "grind" of Black Widows for the fangs needed for Spider Armor).

Set Piece: Required Materials (Amount)
Lihzahrd Crest:
Lihzahrd Brick (75), Wooden Spike (4), Solar Tablet Fragment (8)
Lihzahrd Plate: Lihzahrd Brick (100), Wooden Spike (8), Solar Tablet Fragment (14)
Lihzahrd Greaves: Lihzahrd Brick (50), Wooden Spike (4), Solar Tablet Fragment (8)

Set Piece: Statistics (Set Bonus):
Lihzahrd Crest:
35% increased throwing velocity. (65% chance not to consume throwing item)
Lihzahrd Plate: 40% increased throwing damage. (65% chance not to consume throwing item).
Lihzahrd Greaves: 18% increased throwing critical strike chance, +10% movement speed. (65% chance not to consume throwing item).

That concludes my suggestion of two new Hardmode throwing armor sets. While new throwing weapons or throwing accessories may or may not be needed to complete the design, the sets would need to be playtested with existing throwing weapons and existing accessories (particularly damage accessories) before contemplating the addition of any new ones, and that's a bit beyond the scope of my suggestion at the moment. No matter who reads my suggestion, thank you for taking the time to do so.

Minor Update: I had a random thought that ties into this after posting.
Palm Oil (Potion): 1 bottled honey, 1 bottle, 1 waterleaf, 1 fireblossom.
Potion Effect: Attack speed of throwing items (not velocity) is increased by 8% for 4 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom