Game Mechanics Harpoons should do extra damage to aquatic enemies

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
The harpoon, in my opinion, is a weird and underutilized item. And I could be alone in this, but I almost never use it. It's an okay weapon but if you miss, it takes way too long to fire again.

So, what if it had a damage boost against aquatic enemies such as sharks, jellyfish etc, and I suppose this would apply to blood moon fishing enemies and duke fishron too... I'm thinking maybe x3 or x4? This would give it its own niche.

We could maybe add a x2 boost to tridents too, but it should not be anywhere near the harpoon.

If you liked this, I posted a similar idea here: Snowballs should deal extra damage to underworld enemies

Last edited:
I think the harpoon is just fine as it is. It's a zero-ammo ranged option that slightly underperforms compared to a lot of other on-tier options, which is balanced because it's free. It's a pocket gun, used while exploring and other times you don't want to use ammo. Plus, it can damage enemies on the way back, so it's not like missing leaves you totally wide open.

I don't think it really makes sense. Yeah, sure, little things like Stake Launcher doing increased damage to Vampires are nice, but I don't think those mechanics are as well suited to Harpoon as the same mechanics of Stake Launcher. It also does absolutely nothing to solve the problems you named, he doesn't really become more useful because of it.
Overall, I think Harpoon is a pretty normal weapon to start the game with, not awesome, but not completely useless either.
By the way, I thought Redigit said that Harpoon will be redesigned in 1.4.5, not?

It would be nice if there was a way to retract the Harpoon quickly without hitting something. If that change happened, I feel like the Harpoon would be in a completely fine spot.

I agree with the post, it should deal more damage to aquatic mobs (including the creature from the deep during solar eclipses) though only 2x max. Not to op. A faster retract time would also be nice.

The harpoon, in my opinion, is a weird and underutilized item. And I could be alone in this, but I almost never use it. It's an okay weapon but if you miss, it takes way too long to fire again.

So, what if it had a damage boost against aquatic enemies such as sharks, jellyfish etc, and I suppose this would apply to blood moon fishing enemies and duke fishron too... I'm thinking maybe x3 or x4? This would give it its own niche.

We could maybe add a x2 boost to tridents too, but it should not be anywhere near the harpoon.
I really like this idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom