Blocks & Decoration Hatches and Trap Doors

Bitzerker

Terrarian
For a long time now I have been longing for interactive vertical entryways for my constructions, especially caps for shafts. Granted, we have platforms already, but they don't block creature movement. We have actuators on blocks, but they lack visual interest and are unobtainable early on. Here's what I have in mind.

All of these are functionally identical. They might be 3x1 when closed and 3x3 when open. No furniture may be placed on top of them. Their appearance and name depend on material theme. They can open either up or down, depending on the player's position and available background space, unlike normal doors, which depend on which direction the player is facing. Alternatively, perhaps they could be placed facing either up or down.

EDIT: Recipes: 9 units of material for each, at a workbench or the appropriate themed crafting station, except for metal hatches, which use 6 bars at an anvil. The Obsidian and all Dungeon varieties are looted from the environment, and Golden versions are dropped by Pirates.

Hatches: Circular shape when open, with a characteristic wheel in the center. Unique opening/closing sound effect would be nice. Possible versions include:
- Iron Hatch
- Lead Hatch
- Copper Hatch
- Tin Hatch (to match existing Plating)
- Mushroom Hatch
- Pumpkin Hatch (both plants naturally round)
- Steampunk Hatch

Trap Doors: Generally square and made of various woods, with a knob or handle somewhere. Despite the name, not really a trap...unless the devs wish to find a way! ;)
- Trap Door
- Boreal Wood Trap Door
- Rich Mahogany Trap Door
- Palm Wood Trap Door
- Ebonwood Trap Door
- Shadewood Trap Door
- Pearlwood Trap Door
- Dynasty Trap Door
- Spooky Trap Door
- Pine Trap Door
- Living Wood Trap Door
- Cactus Trap Door
- Glass Trap Door
- Lihzahrd Trap Door

Grates: Could be programmed to let fluids through, maybe. Otherwise, just another visual style. Possible variations:
- Dungeon Grate (plain perpendicular metal bars)
- Skyware Grate (radial bars representing the sun)
- Bone Grate (much like a ribcage)
- Honey Grate (hexagonal pattern)
- Slime Grate
- Frozen Grate

Minor possibilities:
- Tortoise-shell Manhole
- Sliding or Iris Doors

Now, which style to make the Blue/Green/Pink Dungeon, Obsidian, and Golden versions? Flesh theme is a bit iffy, too. Make it look like an aortic valve or something? Or perhaps a toothy jaw.

Of course the list is just a suggestion, like everything else in this forum. Each material might "fit" a different style better, depending on your judgment. Honestly, I would be quite happy with an Iron/Lead Hatch and plain wood Trap Door for starters. What say the rest of you?

Last edited:
Great idea. We are gaining support for something we really should have had in Terraria ages ago. Despite not having that much of an original idea, you have added to, and nearly perfected, the basic idea. Though I would like some tiny details, for example; some recipes. And as always, if you have the time and effort, sprites are great to add. Though I do love the tidiness of this thread.

Originality: 2/5. Execution: 4/5. Elaboration: 4/5. Ideas: 3/5. Formatting: 4/5.

Last edited:
Though I would like some tiny details, for example; some recipes.

In that case, since normal Doors are all made from 6 units of their respective material and have a surface area of 6 squares when open, all of these vertical openings would use 9 units of material at the appropriate themed crafting station, except the metal hatches, which would use 6 bars, a similar 50% increase from the requirements of their horizontal counterparts.

In that case, since normal Doors are all made from 6 units of their respective material and have a surface area of 6 squares when open, all of these vertical openings would use 9 units of material at the appropriate themed
crafting station, except the metal hatches, which would use 6 bars, a similar 50% increase from the requirements
of their horizontal counterparts.
Thank you for that, add it to the main thread. I'll increase points for elaboration.

I very much support this. Roof access without allowing mobs into our dwellings would be great.

Hmm it would be a nice little thing but yknow platforms work

Builders love options and though platforms "work" a more visually pleasing choice would feel more functional and certainly add to the game without taking anything away.

I like the idea of having a door be on the roof. Maybe use a vertical door instead of platforms over the hellavator...

This, very much this.

I have troubles making underground bases, since doors underground look tacky.

And platforms are a slight hazard, allowing anyone who enters entrance.

Back
Top Bottom