Blocks & Decoration Hoplites and Medusas Should Drop Marble When Killed

Dasho

Terrarian
Since Terraria is about to receive it's last few updates, I just wanted to throw this out there as a small thing from my wish list for the game. Ever since 1.3 was introduced, I had felt like this was an oversight, because granite can be obtained in infinite quantities by killing enemies that spawn in Granite Biomes, but the only way to get more marble is to find and tear up Marble Biomes. This just doesn't make sense, because marble and granite are clearly paired counterparts to each other. Even if granite were also not an item that drops, it would be somewhat unfair simply because Granite Biomes are so much larger on average than Marble Biomes. But as it is, I often have more granite than I know what to do with, while I never have enough marble to build anything I want out of it. We used to have similar problems with Sunplate Blocks: if you wanted to build some sort of wizard tower or sunplate structure, you would need to go world-hopping and smash all the islands apart. But eventually a way was introduced to craft it directly from stone and stars. And that was a good change.

But even though we've had lots of updates, big and small, since 1.3, the marble issue was never really addressed. Seeing how we're almost done with updates to Terraria, but marble is still a hard non-renewable resource, I just wanted to mention it. It's a decorative block, whether you have access to it or not has little bearing on the balance of gameplay, so it feels like a legitimate oversight. The only non-renewable decorative blocks in the world tend to exist in such huge quantities that going to get some is never a real problem for the player in the first place: dungeon brick and Lihzahrd brick both come to mind. The only two decorative blocks that are now both rare and non-renewable are cloud blocks and marble blocks. And between the two of them, not only are cloud blocks easier to find in a world (I would actually call them uncommon, personally, and not rare), but again, marble is part of a paired counterpart: it would be like if there was an enemy that dropped Adamantite or Lead when killed, but not Iron or Titanium. If one drops, the other should drop also: it's only fair that it works that way, and there's no reason I can think of for it not to.

Hoplites and Medusas should drop marble when killed. I honestly don't know why they didn't from the start.

Yes please!

With even gemstones gotten pretty much renewable with gem trees, it's kind of odd that marble is not, even thought its counterpart, granite is so easy to get, because granite monsters drop it.

and same goes for cloud too, indeed. would be good if they would be renewable.
also, maybe clay as well? it's just rarely a concern, because it's quite abundant. but, stone golems drop stone now (which is also very adundant). so, why not something that drops clay? clay golem? terracotta soldier? something.

After seeing the earlier marble debate in item balance and discussion forum, i've hatched an idea that would be positive to both sides.

Making javelins smeltable into marble. The lore aspect could be ether the poles of the weapon itself are made of marble or the heads of the javelins are painted marble.

This would not only bring marble biomes to be renewable like granite, but provide a use for javelins once they quickly become obsolete. All the while being less of inventory clutter of collecting both javelins and marble simultaneously.

Yes! Support!
Although it doesn't really make sense lore-wise, (after all, Granite monsters are made of granite) so an option would be smelting javelins like @Stormalisk said, or making it so that mobs killed by Medusa Head have a chance to drop marble (like if they were petrified).

Also,
and same goes for cloud too, indeed. would be good if they would be renewable.
Angry Nimbus could drop cloud blocks... Heavy grind, but preserves your sky islands.

And for the clay,
why not something that drops clay?
Pot mimics (I remember seeing this in a suggestion...) could do the job. Or maybe by smelting petrified Gnomes.

Back
Top Bottom