How do you properly do summoner hybrid class playthroughs?

Snail

Terrarian
When looking at armor tier lists and progression guides they sometimes say "hybrid summoner loadouts are more effective" paraphrasing but I cant find any guide or talk on optimized hybrid loadouts for game progression and when I attempt to mix armors I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Mixed armor sets don't really become a thing until hardmode since armor pieces in prehardmode are usually quite homogeneous (all necro pieces have 5% ranged damage, all meteor has 9% magic etc.). There can be some armor mixing in early hardmode but it reall starts once get acess to the DD2 armor sets, these armor sets have very lopsided stats that you can take advantage of.

With any class/summon hybrid build your head slot Usually doesn't involve summons, there are so many good headpieces do to pre plantera armor sets often having 'your helmet is your class' attitudes.

The best head piece for mage is hallowed as it has the best offensive stats and a nice 100 mana the reduces how often you have to replenish mana.

With ranger you want to go shroomite although at first they may seem weak an limited compared to pre plantera head pieces their damage is multiplicative with other damage bonuses, so if you already have say 50% ranged damage adding a shroomite head piece is like adding 22.5% ranged damage and 5% crit. If you're using a weapon that doesn't fit any of the helmet bonuses go with adamantite, and if you want to save ammo cholorphyte is there too I guess.

For melee you want to use either chlorophyte or shinobi. Melee speed generally isn't that useful of a stat as only a few good weapons have dps that scales off of it. Chlorophyte has the best raw offensive melee stats. Altough you shoul consider swithing to shinobi it has slightly weaker melee stats for much higher summon stats.

With chest pieces there is usually a summon focus unless you are doing ranged.

The spooky chestplate has +2 minion slots which is a massive bonus that whole sets get built around
Forbidden robes are a good option before you get access to spooky.
If you want survivability you can instead opt for valhala even after the nerf its regen bonus is still really strong.

With ranger you will generally progress from frozen->huntress->shroomite->red riding. Ranger has the best chest pieces so they're really the only class that will opt out of the spooky chestplate post plantera.

With melee you may consider using the monk's shirt, but you'll usually swap it out latter. Mage lacks good chest pieces.

With legs well this is sort of the reverse of chest pieces.

Rangers don't really have good pants, mythril greaves are nice early on, but this will usually be spider, tiki or spooky.

The dd2 leg pieces are absolutely dominant when it comes to melee and mage leg options with 20-25% crit and almost as much summon damage that goes well with the +2 summons on your spooky chestplate.

Forbidden treads might also be worth considering for mages as the got 10% magic damage in 1.4.1, while also adding a minion.

Not exactly sure what they mean by "hybrid summoner". Maybe just use summoner armor so you have decent number of minions and either a range or magic weapon with a melee weapons or whip as a weapon of last resort while using every summoning accessory you can get your hands on (perhaps ignoring the sentry boosting ones) and fill up the rest of the accessory slots with whatever you find fancy.

I thought "hybrid summoner" refers to being a summoner and using things not summoner related.
You could mismatch armor, but I usually never do this with Summoner. In my opinion, armor should really only be mismatched to maximize the potential of damage in lieu of a set bonus.

Maybe just use summoner armor so you have decent number of minions and either a range or magic weapon with a melee weapons or whip as a weapon of last resort while using every summoning accessory you can get your hands on (perhaps ignoring the sentry boosting ones) and fill up the rest of the accessory slots with whatever you find fancy.
Yep, this is a "hybrid summoner".
Throughout my "hybrid summoner" playthroughs, I use whatever weapon is most effective as my "main weapon" and use accessories to compliment it.
For example, I usually get the Daedalus Stormbow and a Ranger Emblem whilst using full Spider Armor, the Summoner Emblem, and the Spider Staff.

I meant hybrid summoner as specializing your gear for both summons and another class, like what qwerty posted about.
Mixed armor sets don't really become a thing until hardmode since armor pieces in prehardmode are usually quite homogeneous (all necro pieces have 5% ranged damage, all meteor has 9% magic etc.). There can be some armor mixing in early hardmode but it reall starts once get acess to the DD2 armor sets, these armor sets have very lopsided stats that you can take advantage of.

With any class/summon hybrid build your head slot Usually doesn't involve summons, there are so many good headpieces do to pre plantera armor sets often having 'your helmet is your class' attitudes.

The best head piece for mage is hallowed as it has the best offensive stats and a nice 100 mana the reduces how often you have to replenish mana.

With ranger you want to go shroomite although at first they may seem weak an limited compared to pre plantera head pieces their damage is multiplicative with other damage bonuses, so if you already have say 50% ranged damage adding a shroomite head piece is like adding 22.5% ranged damage and 5% crit. If you're using a weapon that doesn't fit any of the helmet bonuses go with adamantite, and if you want to save ammo cholorphyte is there too I guess.

For melee you want to use either chlorophyte or shinobi. Melee speed generally isn't that useful of a stat as only a few good weapons have dps that scales off of it. Chlorophyte has the best raw offensive melee stats. Altough you shoul consider swithing to shinobi it has slightly weaker melee stats for much higher summon stats.

With chest pieces there is usually a summon focus unless you are doing ranged.

The spooky chestplate has +2 minion slots which is a massive bonus that whole sets get built around
Forbidden robes are a good option before you get access to spooky.
If you want survivability you can instead opt for valhala even after the nerf its regen bonus is still really strong.

With ranger you will generally progress from frozen->huntress->shroomite->red riding. Ranger has the best chest pieces so they're really the only class that will opt out of the spooky chestplate post plantera.

With melee you may consider using the monk's shirt, but you'll usually swap it out latter. Mage lacks good chest pieces.

With legs well this is sort of the reverse of chest pieces.

Rangers don't really have good pants, mythril greaves are nice early on, but this will usually be spider, tiki or spooky.

The dd2 leg pieces are absolutely dominant when it comes to melee and mage leg options with 20-25% crit and almost as much summon damage that goes well with the +2 summons on your spooky chestplate.

Forbidden treads might also be worth considering for mages as the got 10% magic damage in 1.4.1, while also adding a minion.

Thanks for this, after reading this id assume the best way to do a hybrid summoner before a mech boss would be for melee and ranged, top tier ore helmet, frozen chestplate, spider greaves, and for mage full forbidden armor?

I meant hybrid summoner as specializing your gear for both summons and another class, like what qwerty posted about.

Thanks for this, after reading this id assume the best way to do a hybrid summoner before a mech boss would be for melee and ranged, top tier ore helmet, frozen chestplate, spider greaves, and for mage full forbidden armor?
Yeah pretty much. Although maybye use mythril greaves if you don't have the sanguine/blade staff yet. You don't need any more than 3 summon slots for spider minions since spider minions don't have local iFrames.

With mage there is also the option of swapping out the head piece if you can't take advantage of the set bonus.

It is quite simple. Play summoner like its own class. Then add a non-summon weapon of your choosing. BADABING, you are now hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom