How Long Is A Year In Terraria?

ANejat🌈🪨

Torch God
One day, I decided to calculate how many days one Terrarian year is. The results are unspecified 'cus I suck at math. Can anyone who's better enough tell me how it works?

Here's my steps:
I first calculated how much the moon revolves in a specified amountnof hours: in a calculation where orbitting by 24 "Points" would make a 360° orbit. The Moon starting with 6 points (90°) offset of direction compared to Earth, Earth moving by 9 points (in 9 hours,) the Moon must be in 6 point offset. Not only does the Moon have to orbit 12 points (180°), it also has to orbit an extra 9 points (135°) to finish a full cycle from the moonrise to moonset. That means the Moon just orbitted 21 points (Too lazy :p) in 9 hours, which means 7 points every 3 hours. 24/7 is (3+4/7), so the Moon finishes an orbit every 3*(3+4/7) [10.7142857143, "x"] hours. A lunar month (the time between each full moon) takes 8 days while the revolving of the Moon takes "x" hours. Since if Earth stopped its orbit, the lunaar month and Moons orbit would be the same, the difference between these numbers tells us how long it takes foran entire year. I can't calculate the rest, though.

1 day (T) = 24 minutes (RL)
2.5 days (T) = 60 minutes (RL)
525,000 minutes (RL) = 1 year (RL)
8,760 hours (RL) = 1 year (RL)
2.5 days (T) = 1 hour (RL)
1 year (T) = 3,504 hours (RL)
3,504 hours (RL) = 146 days (RL)

This means that 1 year in Terraria is the equivalent of 147 Earth days, or just under 5 months.

Is my math wrong? Probably. But I gave my best effort!

Interesting. I'd expect it to be about 1/60 of a real year like one minute in game is one real second. I guess ðat means it has much longer years or more lunar monþs ðan we do.

Interesting. I'd expect it to be about 1/60 of a real year like one minute in game is one real second. I guess ðat means it has much longer years or more lunar monþs ðan we do.
I understand. I specifically mean how many in-game days it takes.
Not how much it takes IRL for 365.4 in-game days.

1 year = 12 months and 12 months = 365.25 days, and a day in Terraria is 24 IRL minutes, and 365.25 times 24 minutes is 8766 minutes.
8766 minutes is 146 hours and 6 minutes, and that is equal to 6 days, 2 hours, and 6 minutes.
1 year in Terraria is 6 IRL days, 2 IRL hours, and 6 IRL minutes.

1 year = 12 months and 12 months = 365.25 days, and a day in Terraria is 24 IRL minutes, and 365.25 times 24 minutes is 8766 minutes.
8766 minutes is 146 hours and 6 minutes, and that is equal to 6 days, 2 hours, and 6 minutes.
1 year in Terraria is 6 IRL days, 2 IRL hours, and 6 IRL minutes.
Yes, but the speed of the moon compared to Earth's revolving speed in Terraria is different compared to RL.
IRL, a lunar month is almost identical as the time it takes for a lunar orbit because Earth orbits the Sun very, very slow. In Terraria, a lunar month is 8 Terrarian days, while Moon's orbit takes 10.7142857143 RL minutes (TR hours). So 365.25 Terrarian days are proven not to be a Terrarian year.

A Terraria year is actually about 45.65 months since how long the moon needs to circle Earth is how a month is defined.

A Terraria year is actually about 45.65 months since how long the moon needs to circle Earth is how a month is defined.
No, the time between full Moons is what a "month" is. There is very little difference of a few minutes or so witha lunar month and what you described, but the difference still exists. In Terraria, this is WAY more clear since mathematically, an orbit of the Moon takes around ten times less compared to an actual Terrarian lunar month.
Plus, like I specified, it's a lunar month, not a christian solar month that you're triying to reference. Since day/night cycles is completely different in Terraria, a lunar year might be very different compared to a solar one in the universe. Austronomy makes abselutely no sense in the game. What I'm talking about is specifically the time it takes for Earth to fully revolve around the sun.

Actually a Terraria year would be NaN long since we have no seasons and no outer space cosmos to other planets mechanic.
Going to outer space and the existence of other planets aren't really relevant in determining how long a year is. Seasons don't really mean much either, as Jupiter for example has no seasons, but one could still calculate a year on Jupiter due to the planets rotation and its moon around it.

Last edited:
Actually a Terraria year would be NaN long since we have no seasons and no outer space cosmos to other planets mechanic.
Going to outer space and the existsnce of other planets aren't really relevant in determining how long a year is. Seasons don't really mean much either, as Jupiter for example has no seasons, but one could still calculate a year on Jupiter due to the plats rotation and its moon around it.
Finally, people get it!

Considering the angler size of the star being around twice as are sun the planet has to orbit at 65% of the distance witch in order to prevent the oceans from being boiled the star would have to be around 87% of the mass of are own sun. Making a year 207 in game days.

Considering the angler size of the star being around twice as are sun the planet has to orbit at 65% of the distance witch in order to prevent the oceans from being boiled the star would have to be around 87% of the mass of are own sun. Making a year 207 in game days.
My GOD. That is an answer all-right. A nice, too nice one at that!

I get the whole math thing, but a year in Terraria is actually the same as it is irl.
My evidence for this statement is that assuming events like Halloween and Christmas happen once per year at the same time each year, and the dates match perfectly to ours, the years must be the same length.
Furthermore, even the time zones are reflected in this model, meaning that the planet of Terraria is actually the same as earth, just in a different plane of existence, a mirror, if you will, of this planet.
From this we may gain some useful information:
A year in Terraria is 365.25 days, the same as an earthen year.
The world of Terraria matches ours perfectly meaning the orbits, tilts, rotations, sizes, etc. of both worlds are equivalent.
This brings us to my next point: If the size of Terraria is, in fact, the same as earth, we should be able to find measurements of things within the game:
If we assume (and we don't) that one tile(block) equals 2 square feet (2ft.^2) This information is obtained by using a Depth Meter/Compass. And we know the size of a world (4,200 tiles for small, 6,400 for medium, 8,400 for large (I'm going off of the desktop version here)) given this information we can plug in some numbers to get the width of worlds: 8,400ft./12,800ft./16,800ft.. Since we are using the imperial system (one which I dislike), we can estimate the size in miles. One mile is 5,280 ft.. The width of a small world comes out to be approx. 1.6 miles wide, medium is 2.4, large is 3.2.
If we take the depths (1,200t, 1,800t, 2,400t (2,400ft., 3,600ft., 4,800ft.) and do the same calculations, we come to small being 0.4 miles deep, medium is 0.7, large is 0.9.
And that gives us our world sizes: small is 1.6x0.4, medium is 2.4x0.7, and large is 3.2x0.9 miles.
If we accept this (2ft. tile) as true, we may stop there...
But...
We've already figured out that the Terraria world is the same size as earth...
For these purposes I will state that the radius of earth is 3,959 miles (this is the average radius of the equator ±10mi.).
And I will also assume that the bottom of the Underworld is the same as the center of the earth.
Meaning that whatever the depth of the world, it will be set equal to 3,959mi.
I can't simply use the height of the world because that includes air space.
I am just going to use a medium sized world for my comparison because I have more medium measurements and I don't want to do this three times.
Just eyeballing the screenshot on the Depth page of the wiki, I estimate about 1/4 of the height to be air. This may change with different worldgen because apparently the height of the surface layer is rather arbitrary. This means that the depth of our world is 1,350t.
So 1350t = 3959mi...
One tile is a whopping ≈2.9 miles tall.
Meaning it's also 2.9 miles wide.
Remember our world size?
The size of a medium world is 6,400x1,800 tiles.
Meaning the true size of a medium Terraria world is 18,560x5,220 miles.
For reference, the United States is only 2,800 miles wide.
So there.
Your answer. (and some other fun stuff)

I get the whole math thing, but a year in Terraria is actually the same as it is irl.
My evidence for this statement is that assuming events like Halloween and Christmas happen once per year at the same time each year, and the dates match perfectly to ours, the years must be the same length.
Furthermore, even the time zones are reflected in this model, meaning that the planet of Terraria is actually the same as earth, just in a different plane of existence, a mirror, if you will, of this planet.
The world of Terraria matches ours perfectly meaning the orbits, tilts, rotations, sizes, etc. of both worlds are equivalent.
This brings us to my next point: If the size of Terraria is, in fact, the same as earth, we should be able to find measurements of things within the game:
If we assume (and we don't) that one tile(block) equals 2 square feet (2ft.^2) This information is obtained by using a Depth Meter/Compass. And we know the size of a world (4,200 tiles for small, 6,400 for medium, 8,400 for large (I'm going off of the desktop version here)) given this information we can plug in some numbers to get the width of worlds: 8,400ft./12,800ft./16,800ft.. Since we are using the imperial system (one which I dislike), we can estimate the size in miles. One mile is 5,280 ft.. The width of a small world comes out to be approx. 1.6 miles wide, medium is 2.4, large is 3.2.
If we take the depths (1,200t, 1,800t, 2,400t (2,400ft., 3,600ft., 4,800ft.) and do the same calculations, we come to small being 0.4 miles deep, medium is 0.7, large is 0.9.
And that gives us our world sizes: small is 1.6x0.4, medium is 2.4x0.7, and large is 3.2x0.9 miles.
But...
For these purposes I will state that the radius of earth is 3,959 miles (this is the average radius of the equator ±10mi.).
And I will also assume that the bottom of the Underworld is the same as the center of the earth.
I am just going to use a medium sized world for my comparison because I have more medium measurements and I don't want to do this three times.
Just eyeballing the screenshot on the Depth page of the wiki, I estimate about 1/4 of the height to be air. This may change with different worldgen because apparently the height of the surface layer is rather arbitrary. This means that the depth of our world is 1,350t.
So 1350t = 3959mi...
Remember our world size?
So there.
That was impressive, but you forgot the magic word...

But...
So 1350t = 3959mi...
Remember our world size?
So there.
You are assuming Terraria to be the same as Earth due to the holiday schedules, but that would require the holidays to happen every terraria. Instead they happen every 60 terraria years as I previously calculated. And there is nothing wrong with my calculations being right. Judaism has a festival year every 49 years where all debts are forgiven, so for terraria to have a celebration every some decades makes sense. And the size of the world has nothing to do with it.

You are assuming Terraria to be the same as Earth due to the holiday schedules, but that would require the holidays to happen every terraria. Instead they happen every 60 terraria years as I previously calculated. And there is nothing wrong with my calculations being right. Judaism has a festival year every 49 years where all debts are forgiven, so for terraria to have a celebration every some decades makes sense. And the size of the world has nothing to do with it.
I agree with you on this point, but I did specify that I'm assuming for this experiment that these holidays would fall once a year, every year.
:)

Back
Top Bottom