How to change WAN ip address to a word?

MarthVader

Terrarian
I have been trying to start up a server, but my ip address is next to impossible for me (and many others) to remember
and i have noticed that a lot of popular servers (top 20 or so) have names for their ip address. For instance, whunderworld. Their ip address is whunderworld.tk

I was wondering if i could possibly have some instruction on how to do this. It would make life a lot easier for all the people trying to join the server if the ip address is the same as the server world name

If you know what to do, please let me know! :D

so you have to pay to get a special name for the WAN ip address....so i guess that's where donating to the server would come in handy...
so would my ISP would set it up or something like that? how would that whole process work?

It costs money to actually own a domain, yes, and you'd need a DNS (Domain Name System) provider to map the domain to an IP address. DNS is the internet service that translates numerical IP addresses to human readable names and back again.

With a free service like no-ip you can "borrow" a domain. They provide you a list of domains you're allowed to use and you can create a unique host name in that domain. Suppose you want your server to be publicly known as "marthvader". With the chosen domain, the address that would point to your IP would be something like "marthvader.noip.me" -- this is DDNS (Dynamic DNS). You would still need to make sure that the IP the hostname points to is open and can accept incoming connections for Terraria in order to work. Additionally, you may need to install a small network client that notifies the DDNS service that your IP has changed so the hostname continues to point to the correct address.

I currently use no-ip and am satisfied with the free service. I use it for my Terraria server. (Disclaimer: Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation or financial interest in no-ip, and there is no incentive for me to recommend them over any other free DDNS service. I only mention them because I'm familiar with them and know they work. Other free DDNS services may also exist and work equally as well.)

I used free proxies, but now recommended site here you can buy constantly updated proxies to help you work. While looking for reviews on it from people alive and I can't find, do you think if I use a free proxy or start using the website?

Back
Top Bottom