How to make a terraria server without portforwarding through modem or hamachi

xiaokujuju

Terrarian
Port forwarding through my modem is stupid because my modem resets the ip and it messes up my server daily and I'm tired of it resetting my rules I set, it keeps reverting to default so modem is NOT an answer. Hamchi requires other to have Hamachi and barely anyone will have Hamachi so why would I care about Hamachi. I want a new way to host no Hamachi no port forwarding through modem any IT tech guys lying around? Help is needed.

Port forwarding through my modem is stupid because my modem resets the ip and it messes up my server daily and I'm tired of it resetting my rules I set, it keeps reverting to default so modem is NOT an answer. Hamchi requires other to have Hamachi and barely anyone will have Hamachi so why would I care about Hamachi. I want a new way to host no Hamachi no port forwarding through modem any IT tech guys lying around? Help is needed.

Your modem should not reset your ip or Lan ip. You should make sure that you set your modem to static mode, to prevent this from happening. You can alternatively rent a server to host the game for you.

my modem is created by idiots. It resets to default every midnight and makes me a new external ip I hate dynamic ip system and I hate the reset of my modem. I don't have money to make others host it for me, I need a free solution to host it any ideas?
edit - I should note that I also want to be able to host it 24/7 without leaving my pc on
so can u give me a link to dedicated host sites?

I would hope it's fairly obvious you won't be able to host it 24/7 without the machine running the server switched on... If you want this, a dedicated host is definitely the only way to go. Forget who I used to use but it was something like $5 a month. It's maybe not a tiny amount where you are but for most that's pretty trivial.

Edit: I used a company called "Mulitplay" for dedicated servers. Thinking on, I don't recommend them. I upgraded from like a 5 seat server to a 10, they started charging me for both (the 5 and the 10). I pointed it out, they :red:ed me around. I went to my bank to do chargebacks, they got pretty arsey, I got arsey back they came back with a sob story about one of the big tornado's in the US causing them problems... I'd avoid them :)

As far as the dynamic IP goes, there are a few services that can be run from a PC. They update a server with your new IP and it is able to redirect traffic to your router. It uses a protocol called "dyndns" (have a google around for that an you'll get a lot of info)

If it's at all feasible (money... sounds to maybe not so easy for you) there's a whole bunch of routers that have this ability (to plug into a dyndns server) as part of the management page. You MAY even be able to get a 3rd party (i.e not from the manufacturer) firmware that opens this possibility. I've never had to look for it but do some googling for "router tomato firmware" and check if your router can use it, there's probably something in that to counter highly dynamic IP addresses.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:
I would hope it's fairly obvious you won't be able to host it 24/7 without the machine running the server switched on... If you want this, a dedicated host is definitely the only way to go. Forget who I used to use but it was something like $5 a month. It's maybe not a tiny amount where you are but for most that's pretty trivial.

Edit: I used a company called "Mulitplay" for dedicated servers. Thinking on, I don't recommend them. I upgraded from like a 5 seat server to a 10, they started charging me for both (the 5 and the 10). I pointed it out, they :red:ed me around. I went to my bank to do chargebacks, they got pretty arsey, I got arsey back they came back with a sob story about one of the big tornado's in the US causing them problems... I'd avoid them :)

As far as the dynamic IP goes, there are a few services that can be run from a PC. They update a server with your new IP and it is able to redirect traffic to your router. It uses a protocol called "dyndns" (have a google around for that an you'll get a lot of info)

If it's at all feasible (money... sounds to maybe not so easy for you) there's a whole bunch of routers that have this ability (to plug into a dyndns server) as part of the management page. You MAY even be able to get a 3rd party (i.e not from the manufacturer) firmware that opens this possibility. I've never had to look for it but do some googling for "router tomato firmware" and check if your router can use it, there's probably something in that to counter highly dynamic IP addresses.

Best of luck :)
I appreciate your comment and your thorough thoughts. But there's nothing I can do other than host through my modem because all it does is reset. I have no problems inputting the information other than it's annoying, that means I can host my server fine without host sites. Secondly I'm going to college I don't have the money to do anything because I have to think about my loans first and personal things second. Thirdly, for the dynamic ip to be a static ip it requires extra money from my company which goes a long with my second claim that I already have bills. again I thank you for posting a reply but it isn't necessarily in my favor. I currently host the game fine other then changing ip's constantly.

Hmmm, not used it personally. I think it's just picking out a name for your IP so it will end up as something like yournamehere.noip.org. There's a small application to download that starts with your computer, it logs into their service and tells them your new IP, the server is updated and anyone accessing your terraria server would enter the yournamehere.noip.org address, give it the port number you've set up on your routers port forwarding and you should be good to go.

If I remember, I'll take a look at home in a few hours and set it up myself (no harm). Will offer a wee bit more help then :)

WEell I got it working now I set up a Host (finally). So I guess it automatically updates with my dynamic ip address? if so that's cool. But one thing I don't get if I set my ip to xiaokujuju.no-ip.info on Tserverweb.com it shows the ip not the xiaokujuju.no-ip.info But if this is supposed to happen then I guess thank you.

WEell I got it working now I set up a Host (finally). So I guess it automatically updates with my dynamic ip address? if so that's cool. But one thing I don't get if I set my ip to xiaokujuju.no-ip.info on Tserverweb.com it shows the ip not the xiaokujuju.no-ip.info But if this is supposed to happen then I guess thank you.

TServerWeb will automatically gain the ip address from the no-ip.org url. You can check the router to find out if it can be set to static. I might be able to help you out with this later in the day.

Excellent, sorry I didn't come back with my own testing. Not sure with the tserverweb, never used that. So long as it's updating it properly though...

And yeah, that's basically how it works. The wee tool you download tells no-ip your current IP address, their internal routing is updated and the external address you picked always points at whatever IP the tool told no-ip to use :)

i have a similar problem. i was able to set both my modem and my PC to a static IP, however port forwarding :red:es on me all the time. i forwarded port 7777 on both TCP and UDP, then i give my IP (no it's not 127.0.0.1, i know about that) to my friend and he can't connect. nothing happens on the server console either. it's like my modem just doesn't want my friend to connect... i even disabled all the firewalls... still no work...

So - rename the terraria-server executable (or terraria.exe) to something else, when you double click it does windows firewall pop up about it? (Just to ensure it's not wfw that's blocking it, changing the name means it asks again what you want it to do) Assuming that's ok...

Go to google type in "what is my IP" it will tell you your external IP address, this is what your friend needs to connect. The ip address you get from typing "ipconfig" into the command shell (start->run-> type "cmd" or start->type cmd into the search box) window is your machines IP address on your homes private network (not the internet IP address of your router).

The port forwarding will be something like making a service on certain ports (7777 TCP and UDP is fine). You would then normally assign it to a computer on your network (which if it wants to know a specific IP address to pass the port forwarding to, this IS the IP address get from typing "ipconfig" into the command shell window, you may be able to use some sort of list of machines it knows about on your network). Once you have the service created, ports assigned to the service and the service passed to a machine on your network, the IP address you get from "what is my IP" should be the IP your friend connects on.

Try it :)

Back
Top Bottom