I'm stuck: creative block of a compulsive box builder.

drivebymessiah

Terrarian
Herein lies the tale of the Modern Lodge Monstrosity

I often think I'd like to identify as a builder. One who underscores any talk of Terraria with, "Oh... I'm mostly into it for the building." But there's a problem. Whenever I read commentaries about said building the attitude gleaned tends to frequently be paired with: "As long as it's not boxes." "I'm so over boxes." "I didn't even know what I was doing until I learned to stop building ugly boxes."

Well shoot. I think ALL I build is boxes. And hey, man - they're rectangles OK? Rectangles with like, wainscoting, and crown molding, and windows and tasteful lighting. But I'm working on it. And/or just trying to spruce up my rectangles, or something. My projects, though, never seem to meet completion. I logged most of my hours in the 1.0 to 1.1 days. Gave 1.2 a brief stint. And now am back for 1.3 more enthusiasm than previous forays.

The idea - was to log on the old primary character and create a new "main base world." A main base to be the definitive end to main bases.

At first, I traveled some distance from the spawn point with some imported materials and said, "I should make a temporary structure. A shanty town, or apartment tower type complex to at least "become established." Then it will be easier to start the proper build at a later time. This started with some Plank Wall columns where I told myself, "I'm not even going to bother making them evenly spaced: that's how unimportant the first shanty tower will be. (note, the multi tone walls, the wooden beam borders, crossbeams, other things, all came later)

They are such downers.
cY671hm.png

Then I looked on my work as I added a platform level and thought. "God. That looks terrible. Support beams should be evenly spaced. Because science. Maybe I can salvage this."

So then came all the dressing up: the wooden beam borders, the different wall tiles, the cross beams, the grey brick foundational footings... Ultimately the finished product had some aesthetic merit despite the original beam spacing being haphazard.

1bvOKiH.png

J50ZZd5.png

Then came the first floors, which I thought need only be minimum partitions to house most of the npcs. Did it need to be well polished? No! Though I spent too long decorating the first floor before stopping myself. (spiral staircase came later cutting through existing rooms. I started pounding out walls for a moment before realizing I had no idea what to do with the space)

alkVD0i.png

On top of that I was finally ready to do "the real build." First up, the (compact? sort of?) crafting area to end all crafting areas; shown at roughly 60% completion. The signs denote missing crafting stations. Originally it was on the right side of the room but the unbroken blob of crammed machines made me anxious so the spiral staircase came in, breaking up the blob. I'm more or less happy with the design. The right half of the room is to become an armor / equipment storage area with the block of chests coming down. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with that plan as armories / equipment storage areas can become rather large especially with armor wearing mannequins. I want to incorporate some more negative space dividing the crafting station blob from said plans. Perhaps a partial armor with a tele-porter to an underground batcave of sorts. The pure borral cooridor will accomodate a railway.

SvvKS5o.png

Layering *on top of that* came the REAL living space. (pictured about 65%) A snow biome is to the east so I had a thematic idea of indulgent alpine lodge capable of hosting many guests and, most importantly, a lavish master suite. What comes in the unfinished rooms? A guest room? A small library and reading nook? An attic? I don't know.

O0nKJ3l.png

I like how the top layers are coming together and am not all together worried about the prospect of finishing up the crafting space. But upon trying to figure out what to do with the lower levels I hit a real mental block after extending the spiral staircase down into the bottom two floors. It completely threw off the segmentation of existing rooms, so they'll all have to go. I had brief thoughts of saving the original crafting room to allow a friend in MP the potential of a nearby personal crafting space but that might be entirely redundant when so close to the [FINAL WORD IN CRAFTING] ginormous crafting blob. I think I'll have enough rooms in the upper levels to house all npcs (minus perhaps the witch doctor and truffle which probably need to be exiled to personalized biome cabins at some later date.) So I'm not entirely sure what to do with the lower levels or if I even need them. I've thought about eliminating them all-together and raising the base level support beam to the crafting station floor but I don't quite like just how high the beam level would be in that case. The support beams will probably have to be torn down and replaced with... something. I really haven't the slightest idea what to do with the bottom two floors and the space and space stretching to ground level. The liquid reservoirs are just there for convenience of other projects and not intended to be a permanent fixture. I'm stumped. Looking back - the method was flawed. I had a plan to have a plan, started doing something that was supposed to be temporary, became invested become unwilling to abandon the temporary thing, then simply add on to said thing until it was good.

lOGiaHR.jpg

At present the only spaces that need necessarily remain are the giant crafting hall and the rooms above. This lowly rectangle maker is reaching out to the real-builders for advice on how to turn the hip dream lodge into a space where a miner tycoon can relax, work, and live the dream.

1I4w4XQ.jpg

PS - first image post and/or image nested in spoiler post. nested images doing weird things in preview pane coupled with frequent "not logged in" error motivates slight will to die.

Last edited:
speaking as a compulsive box builder, I did 3 things to at least partially break up my box funk.
1. I stopped using wood, and stopped building anything that required wood. Lihzard houses, ice houses, hive houses, etc. Mixed and matched. I found that- at least personally- having 3 really vibrant colors instead of 60 perfectly picked shades of brown actually feels better.
2. I made individual, themed pod rooms floating way up in the sky. I used rectangles, or rounded rectangles, but after I had finished the minimal interior, I tacked on as many quirks and decorations to the outside as I could think of. Sometimes the interior would change shape as I did so, sometimes it wouldn't. But it would always look more interesting than a box. I think the trick to making rectangular buildings not look like boxes is to make sure that the roof has something interesting going on with it.
3. I built houses in caves- either natural ones, or ones I had hollowed out by randomly swinging my mouse cursor around. I got to play around with weird shaped rooms and novel decorations. Obviously, this isn't applicable if you want to be building things on the surface, but it helped me build more naturalistically.

I don't know if any of these will help you the same way they helped me, but the most general tip I can give is this: Build a few rectangle houses, but treat them like experiments. Fiddle with them, tear them apart, rebuild them, paint them weird colors. Change them enough, with the deliberate intent to overcome boxiness, and you'll eventually find your own distinct style.

P.S. your lodge is awright. doesn't feel very cold, and I think you should build some sprawling stuff out on the ground horizontally.

Here is an idea if you build box obsessively: overlap them. Offset them, enclose them, vary them in sizes, there are many way to work with boxes.

Progress made.

My intent was to ultimately ask for design ideas to salvage the space under the crafting area floor. I realize I probably wasn't direct about this. The whole "boo hoo I'm a boxmaker" bit was more of a failed humor/sarcasm bit. Perhaps it was a thinly veiled ploy of disarming self-deprecation in case I was crucified to the chorus of, "SHUN THE BOXMAKER." - because that could totally happen. Perhaps the forum psychologist knows.

dAUGyGy.png

Nonetheless I think I figured myself out. I moved & slightly resized the the main support beam, used a new pillar design, turned the left side into a grand entrance, turned the right side into: a large cellar (so totally not like me. totally), a boiler room, a coal storage room, and cramped living quarters for unloved npcs.

Some notes in no particular order. (ranting begins here)

-i've found that bricks, hammered into triangles, can make excellent substitutes for the lack of diagonal wall tile borders once they are actuated. I used these on the diagonal winerack struts, couple corners on the boiler, & granite backsplash.

-my "Water Boiler" is pretty shabby... but it's growing on me. If anyone know's a way to make a better one of similar dimensions that the player can pass in front of - let me know.

-copper bars painted black make up my "faux coal." I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that they sparkle or are in bars. Hmm.. maybe I can paint copper coins black? It'd make a better texture... I have to try that.

-the items framed were chosen due to the historical significance to my play experience, apparently not in chronological order. I had to put the magic weapons above the bookshelves for some reason. I'll bore you with the story of one: the star cannon. I think I had it made prior to version 1.1, when my primary weapon was a Flamerang, but never actually used the thing because I had too great a loss aversion instinct for firing stars. However, every play session I'd look at it in a chest and think, "Yeah some day I'm totally going to wreck something with you, Star-Cannon. It's going to be f'n sweet. Star-Cannon Armegeddon. It's coming. Oh yeah."

Still to-do:

-remove all torches (the ones in wine-cellar look all right) and place more appealing lighting

-create actuated wall "shutters" for base lock-down

-create entry method from ground level.
Stairs? Ropes? I'm thinking of plagiarizing Tenthy's faux elevator in his Game of Thrones 'Castle Black & the Wall' build.

-conjure a plan for the ground level. It's not pictured - it doesn't look like anything right now.

-Make the teleporters go somewhere; also make something at said "somewhere."
ugh.. this is going to take forever

Back
Top Bottom