PC I'm Thinking of Making a Mod...

Newpueblo

Terrarian
I am thinking of making a mod for Terraria. I've been playing the game ever since it came out, and have appreciated the amazing work that's gone into it. I have very little experience with coding, and even less with spriting. I've tried to create a mod before, on versions 1.2 and 1.2.4, but the tutorials I was following were soon outdated. I need to know where to start, and what steps I should take to eventually fully develop a mod that I can enjoy.

What advice I'm looking for.
  • General knowledge of Terraria modding.
  • What programs (editing software) to use.
  • Any problems I might run in to, and how to solve them.
  • What goals to aim for, and what my first mod should focus on.

Last edited:
I am thinking of making a mod for Terraria. I've been playing the game ever since it came out, and have appreciated the amazing work that's gone into it. I have very little experience with coding, and even less with spriting. I've tried to create a mod before, on versions 1.2 and 1.2.4, but the tutorials I was following were soon outdated. I need to know where to start, and what steps I should take to eventually fully develop a mod that I can enjoy.

What advice I'm looking for.
  • General knowledge of Terraria modding.
  • What programs (editing software) to use.
  • Any problems I might run in to, and how to solve them.
  • What goals to aim for, and what my first mod should focus on.
Your first mod: Generate using this tool. Extract the folder into the Mod Sources folder. Go in game, click build and reload, make sure it's working.

The Next step: Modify something in the SetDefaults method and build again, making sure to save first, and making sure the changes take effect.

Next: Think about what you want to make. The more creative, the harder, so I suggest you start with making some more weapons.

Next: Play around with Example Mod. If you see something you want to do, look through the Example Mod code and try to see how it's done.

You can always ask questions in the tmodloader help threads, or on the discord channel.

You can use Visual Studios if you want, and I highly suggest you do, especially if you don't know c# syntax. The Generator I linked to will generate a Visual Studio Project.

Finally: I'd suggest learning a bunch, then seeing if anyone wants help with their mod. You can do your own, but it might be better to contribute to a team.

Your first mod: Generate using this tool. Extract the folder into the Mod Sources folder. Go in game, click build and reload, make sure it's working.

The Next step: Modify something in the SetDefaults method and build again, making sure to save first, and making sure the changes take effect.

Next: Think about what you want to make. The more creative, the harder, so I suggest you start with making some more weapons.

Next: Play around with Example Mod. If you see something you want to do, look through the Example Mod code and try to see how it's done.

You can always ask questions in the tmodloader help threads, or on the discord channel.

You can use Visual Studios if you want, and I highly suggest you do, especially if you don't know c# syntax. The Generator I linked to will generate a Visual Studio Project.

Finally: I'd suggest learning a bunch, then seeing if anyone wants help with their mod. You can do your own, but it might be better to contribute to a team.
This tool generates the old code, does it not..? I am VERY new to modding, i just re-code the Example Mod Items, it comes out succsessful
[doublepost=1466276116,1466276054][/doublepost]Nevermind! Last time i used it, it was the old coding, this is good now,

Back
Top Bottom