Weapons & Equip Improvements to the Mage Class

Void Dragon 5

Terrarian
To the Devs at Re-Logic:
I recently just finished a mage playthrough, and it got me thinking about what could be improved about the class, rebalancing, and other things about the class.

For Example:
Vile Thorn. It's a great weapon, and I really like it, but sometimes it could be a real inconvenience to obtain. I know it can be easily worked around, but I personally would like it to be removed from shadow orb loot tables and instead make it a rare drop from Eaters of Souls and/or Devourers. I always work so hard to get it, then I use it on the Eater of Worlds and the goblin army, and then I never use it again. It would be nice to be able to get it post-EoC without wasting a bunch of EoW summons.

Pre-Hardmode Mage Armor Progression. I have always found it funny that Jungle Armor, a set that you can get before defeating any bosses, has better bonuses (in my opinion) than the post EoW Meteor set. I'd just like to see a rebalance of the armors, or maybe add a post-Skeletron mage set? I don't know.

Possibly adding an accessory or a shimmer upgrade that gives mana regeneration even while firing a weapon. It could be post-Golem, maybe crafting a Band of Starpower with a Sun and Moon Stone? I always find that mana sickness is a problem with weapons of that tier and higher, I just would like to have a higher DPS in the endgame. And I am aware of the Celestial Cuffs, but it's not efficient to constantly get hurt to regenerate mana. Concept art is below.

Another accessory that would be cool is an accessory that gives more defense as more mana is used, in stacking buffs like the Beetle Armor does. Maybe crafting a Mana Flower with a Paladin's Shield? Here's concept art, I just took a Paladin's Shield sprite and made some changes.

Just some suggestions. And Red, Loki, Cenx, or any of the devs, if you're reading this, I just want to let you know that I appreciate your hard work to make this game great. I've had it on my Xbox for... 5 years now? It's been a blast. Keep up the hard work, and I can't wait for Terraria 2!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821-201335.png
    Screenshot_20230821-201335.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20230822-090511.png
    Screenshot_20230822-090511.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I’d say Meelee and summoner are the classes that would need the most upgrading. Well not anymore Meelee I’ve still got the old Meelee in my mind. So dreadnautilus pet and summoner upgrades should be priority

Vile Thorn is already really easy to obtain. If it were to become a rare drop from corruption enemies that would make it much harder to obtain similar to getting ancient shadow armor without shimmer. I agree that jungle armor is too op and should be locked behind some kind of wall saved for late pre-hardmode. It doesn't make sense that the best pre-hardmode ranged armor is locked behind the dungeon and the best melee is locked behind hellstone. Maybe they should do the same with truffle worms in hardmode?

Well, I'm just saying that it just becomes obsolete very quickly after EoW, so maybe it needs a damage buff and have a crafting recipe available post-EoC. Like, maybe with Demonite bars, jungle spores, and stingers? I don't know. But, I do see your reasoning with the truffle worm, but that is more of a high-risk, high-reward deal. You fight an incredibly dangerous boss before you're normally supposed to, but you can obtain weapons that absolutely demolish the next couple of stages in the game.

Well, I'm just saying that it just becomes obsolete very quickly after EoW, so maybe it needs a damage buff and have a crafting recipe available post-EoC. Like, maybe with Demonite bars, jungle spores, and stingers? I don't know. But, I do see your reasoning with the truffle worm, but that is more of a high-risk, high-reward deal. You fight an incredibly dangerous boss before you're normally supposed to, but you can obtain weapons that absolutely demolish the next couple of stages in the game.
I do quite like the vile thorn and wish that there were more variants of it besides the crystal vile shard. It may be a little bit difficult to balance more powerful infinitely piercing magic weapons though. I do see what you mean about the risk and reward with the truffle worm but see it as inconsistent since prismatic lacewings can only spawn post-plantera and don't like an easy "cheese" for the rest of the game.

I do quite like the vile thorn and wish that there were more variants of it besides the crystal vile shard. It may be a little bit difficult to balance more powerful infinitely piercing magic weapons though. I do see what you mean about the risk and reward with the truffle worm but see it as inconsistent since prismatic lacewings can only spawn post-plantera and don't like an easy "cheese" for the rest of the game.
That is a valid point. However, I believe that Empress requires more mobility than Duke Fishron due to the nature of her attacks, and this is where the Fishron Wings are useful.

tbh, I think meteor set is better than jungle due to having access to 0 mana space gun (which lets you regen mana w/ mana regen potion and still deal damage) and better stats. Plus, the jungle set is appropriately locked (even though it's preboss) since the jungle is really dangerous, especially for a new player. The one change I would like to see happen to mage is to get more options prior to the evil boss. You basically have gem staves (boring, and all the same), thunder zapper (literally just a gem staff that doesn't pierce, but shoots faster), wand of sparking/frosting (good starting out, but falls off quickly) and the vilethorn/crimson rod (actually cool, but you only get one of these). Every other class has a decent variety of weapons at this stage, whereas mage effectively has 3 weapons (and one is intended to be a weak starter option). For the class whose main identity is having a variety of different attack styles, this sucks.

That's my problem with the Meteor Armor. It removes the mana cost of the Space Gun, but Space Gun soon gets outclassed by Bee Gun, Flower of Fire, and Flamelash post-Skeletron, so I don't think most players would use it against Wall of Flesh. So remove the Space Gun bonus and look at the armor's other stats and compare them to the Jungle Armor. But I do see your logic about the weapons, they at least need revamped.
And going back to the Jungle Armor, it is possible pre-boss, it's just a high-risk high-reward kind of thing.

That's my problem with the Meteor Armor. It removes the mana cost of the Space Gun, but Space Gun soon gets outclassed by Bee Gun, Flower of Fire, and Flamelash post-Skeletron, so I don't think most players would use it against Wall of Flesh. So remove the Space Gun bonus and look at the armor's other stats and compare them to the Jungle Armor. But I do see your logic about the weapons, they at least need revamped.
And going back to the Jungle Armor, it is possible pre-boss, it's just a high-risk high-reward kind of thing.
Space gun used to be overpowered weapon (trust me on this).
Before you start comparing these armors, start using both at the same time (you now have loadouts in the game). When the mana runs out, you change to mateor, when it's full, you stick to the jungle.
No class in the game uses 2 sets at once (changing helmets doesn't count). Not because it's not worth it, just because they don't have 2 good options at once.

There is Mana Flower to think about, and also if I run out of mana and then switch to space gun, then my mana will not regenerate since I am still using a magic weapon. The decreased damage from mana sickness isn't a big loss in Pre-Hardmode, and the increased damage from the Jungle Armor counteracts it anyway. What I'd like to see is Meteor providing more damage bonuses, in exchange for space gun mana cost being cut by 75% instead of being reduced to zero.

There is Mana Flower to think about, and also if I run out of mana and then switch to space gun, then my mana will not regenerate since I am still using a magic weapon. The decreased damage from mana sickness isn't a big loss in Pre-Hardmode, and the increased damage from the Jungle Armor counteracts it anyway. What I'd like to see is Meteor providing more damage bonuses, in exchange for space gun mana cost being cut by 75% instead of being reduced to zero.
More damage bonuses? 27% is a joke to you? Also you're forgetting that the 0 mana rule doesn't just apply to space gun (there is another weapon which may be broken).

Well, I have forgotten the stats of the meteor armor, so maybe it should give more mana or more crit chance instead. And yes, I do know about Zapinator.

After looking at the wiki, I honestly think that the Meteor Armor should have less damage bonuses, with more bonuses instead to crit chance and mana regen/total mana, and Jungle Armor should give less. Also, the Jungle Armor has more defense than Meteor Armor?? Kinda weird Imo

I’d say Melee and summoner are the classes that would need the most upgrading. Well not anymore Melee I’ve still got the old Melee in my mind. So dreadnautilus pet and summoner upgrades should be priority
um...
summoner got LOTS of Attention only a few updates ago, and Mage/Ranger haven't been prioritized in forever.

I am a mage player, and I always feel overshadowed by all of my friends, who choose any other class.
IT IS TIME FOR AN UPDATE TO MAGE CLASS

idea:
Galactic armor (mage class)
total defense: 21
set bonus(es): mana cost for all weapons reduced by 2%
magic damage increased by 5%
Fallen stars will fall down, dealing 30 damage per enemy

Armor Pieces
Galactic Hat: 7 defense
increases max mana by 20

Galactic Robes: 8 defense
magic damage increased by 2%

Galactic Boots: 6 defense
movement speed increased by 3%
grants slow fall

Crafted at: Anvil
Materials:
Fallen stars (14)
Demonite/Crimtane Bars (24)
Beeswax (10)

Hope you like the Idea. i couldn't think of other materials to be used

if I run out of mana and then switch to space gun, then my mana will not regenerate since I am still using a magic weapon. The decreased damage from mana sickness isn't a big loss in Pre-Hardmode, and the increased damage from the Jungle Armor counteracts it anyway.
btw, you actually do regenerate mana while using space gun (but only w/ mana regen potion). There was a mana guide on the forums (tl;dr is that mana regen is better than mana pots pre hardmode, mainly due to 0 mana space gun and the fact that pre hardmode mana potions SUCK, and mana potions are better in hardmode)

Back
Top Bottom