Other IPv6 support for multiplayer without port forwarding

fourth

Terrarian
Currently, Terraria only supports multiplayer over IPv4, which means that the hosting player has to set up port forwarding in their router.

This does only require a bit of technical know-how, but unfortunately it's also straight-up impossible for some people. For example:
  • if you're on university Internet or some other setup outside your control
  • if your router is running some locked-down firmware that you're not allowed to touch
  • if your ISP does carrier-grade NAT
I'm in one of these categories so I can't host multiplayer games...

However I do have a IPv6 address that Terraria doesn't currently take advantage of. The thing with IPv6 is that there is no port forwarding -- anyone who has a v6 address would be instantly ready to host a Terraria game without any setup. (Incidentally, you can check here to see if you have one!)

TBH I'm not super sure how difficult this would be to implement, but, you know, please consider it. Thanks for reading :dryadsmile:

Currently, Terraria only supports multiplayer over IPv4, which means that the hosting player has to set up port forwarding in their router.

This does only require a bit of technical know-how, but unfortunately it's also straight-up impossible for some people. For example:
  • if you're on university Internet or some other setup outside your control
  • if your router is running some locked-down firmware that you're not allowed to touch
  • if your ISP does carrier-grade NAT
I'm in one of these categories so I can't host multiplayer games...

However I do have a IPv6 address that Terraria doesn't currently take advantage of. The thing with IPv6 is that there is no port forwarding -- anyone who has a v6 address would be instantly ready to host a Terraria game without any setup. (Incidentally, you can check here to see if you have one!)

TBH I'm not super sure how difficult this would be to implement, but, you know, please consider it. Thanks for reading :dryadsmile:
I think that would depend more on what Microsoft does with the XNA framework, and how they consider embedding IPV6 support. I think for Terraria to have something like this, they would have to contact Microsoft for a patch of some sort to allow 6to4 compatibility or something. Anyways. Support.

Back
Top Bottom