PC Is expert mode a mountain to climb, or a medal to wear?

Expert mode is neither a mountain nor a molehill medal. It's a way of collecting ridiculous amounts of money and items in a short space of time. If you've tried farming mechanical bosses for developer sets, you'll know what I mean. :)

Expert mode is neither a mountain nor a molehill medal. It's a way of collecting ridiculous amounts of money and items in a short space of time. If you've tried farming mechanical bosses for developer sets, you'll know what I mean. :)
I have to agree. Pumpkin Moon: Around 50 platinum per night. :D

I have to agree. Pumpkin Moon: Around 50 platinum per night. :D
If we're including the item selling, I'd say it is per day and night :merchantcry:

On the main topic, why should I care about cheese? Why should I care about what someone does in the comfort of their single player? Although I aim for Steam Achievements, I really do not see a reason to care, for those that seemingly do.

I play expert like I do normal (aside from switching up tactics against enemies). That is, I set goals, explore, mine and collect the same way I do normally - which is usually with very little cheese. I play the game how it's meant to be played.
However, being a sandbox game, there are many different approaches to everything. Wiring up a teleporter machine to beat the Moon Lord flawlessly? It's completely legitimate seeing as the game provides those tools and the player has the choice to use them. However, the cheesy path is most time-consuming to build, and it takes away a lot of the intensity of a fight because you know you'll probably win if you follow the online guide.
TL;DR I'm too lazy to cheese.

I play Normal mode in Single Player, and Expert in Multiplayer, because I feel that's how its supposed to be. I don't see Expert Mode as a Single Player mode, because I don't necessarily solo a game for a challenge. I play games for fun. And I don't see Normal as a Multiplayer mode, because it's way too easy even with just one additional person. Everything changes with just one more player. Bosses no longer despawn if the other player survives, you have twice as much possible DPS, half the mining time, etc. and you also have increased resource consumption and such. I feel that Expert mode is a mode created mainly for Multiplayer, because it ramps the difficulty up so you can't just win with a numbers game. Wanna play with 10 players? Fine, Skeletron will now have, say, 120K HP. Early-game is brutal, but you have numbers, and it's still fun even if you die a lot. You can laugh at your friends, and vice versa!

This is just my opinion of the two modes. I don't feel it's either a mountain or a medal. Just an alternative way to have fun without smashing everything in seconds because you have more players.

Expert mode to me is a bit of a drag without any worthwhile rewards. I suppose the Suspicious Looking Tentacle is bright and helpful, but otherwise you're mostly just playing it for the purpose of playing it. People like challenges, which is fine; expert mode is more suited for a group of players who don't want to steamroll the whole game.
I do appreciate that most of the expert-exclusive items are not necessarily class-specific and can be helpful to anyone (an early form of mobility, a crutch for those high damage numbers, another accessory slot, a faster minecart, and so on). But in the long run, most of it isn't worth keeping, but I suppose that makes sense, since not all items in the game are going to be helpful forever. I don't even use the Worm Scarf on my characters because I'd rather have something like more damage or mobility. But I'd still like to see more expert rewards in the future so there's a bigger incentive.
I also don't like how defense has been made nearly useless in expert, making percent-damage-reduction items the go-to choices. I don't mind the percent reduction, but why nerf defense? Yes, it was made to be slightly more effective, but the increase in enemy damage outweighs it significantly. It's a little better to just build into damage and criticals instead of defense, but I suppose "experts" don't need to rely on defense. My character with 100 defense should not be taking more than 100 damage from a simple Moon Lord projectile. If only boss banners existed...
Either way, I play Terraria to have fun, not to win. So expert mode is annoying in many cases and seldom rewarding, with the exception of when I finally punch Plantera in the face for being way too fast and strong and forcing me to dig a stupidly oversized arena.
Regardless of normal or expert, I still just turtle at the Nurse for the Moon Lord, but that's a whole other can of worms.
I may be considered a scrub for preferring to play normal mode, but I always make each playthrough challenging in some way, like limiting myself to certain weapons of my liking. That to me, is my personal expert mode; still the same Terraria I've grown to love, with my own challenging spin. I talk too much.

Was defence nerfed for Expert mode?
I though it's 2 less damage for 3 defence, which is better than on Normal worlds.

I don't like the way Expert is made. Enemies just have double health and you take double damage.
Bosses have new attacks aswell... EoW is still the weakest boss ever, unless you're playing melee.
SOME enemies got new tricks, like skeletons can throw bones now.
Tim is easier to find, I think.
6 accessories seems like a bit too much, this game was mostly about having the right accessories, now you can have whatever you want.

Hardmode is just enemies dealing 100 damage on contact, for me mage is the best class for Expert.
You can't really tank anymore, so you need to dish out some serious damage.

Back
Top Bottom