Is Minecraft Steve or the Terraria Player stronger? I have the answer.

Interesting but please use scientific notation..

The entire point of not using scientific notation was to show just how massive a number it was. Sorry if that caused any problems with you reading it.

Well, according to gamepedia, a terrarian "walks" at 7 meters per second, which is much faster than Steve can run.

Yep, the Player walks at ~6.9 m/s, while Steve sprints at ~5.6 m/s.

Last edited:
As for constitution, the maximum health you can have in Minecraft is 10 hearts, without using a temporary +x max health potion. In Terraria, one heart is equal to 20 hit points, so Steve has a total of 200 hit points. The maximum health the player can have, without the temporary effects of the Lifeforce Potion, is 500. Even without the +100 boost that the Life Fruit gives, the Terrarian has twice as much health as Steve.

HOWEVER!

With the Sharpness V enchantment on a diamond sword, Steve does 14.25 hearts worth of damage. Converting that into Terraria means that Steve's sword attack does a whopping 285 damage without defense, and that's not even a critical hit! With a critical hit, Steve does 1.5 times the damage, leading to an ASTOUNDING 420 damage. (insert 420 joke here.) Adding in all the defense that you could possibly have, and Steve's normal attack would do 122 damage, and his critical hit would still do a brutal 257 damage.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The earlier damage calculations (420 damage with a critical hit) were made using Minecraft's critical hit, which does 1.5 times damage but does not ignore defense. If, again, we translated that factor into Terrarian terms, meaning that a critical hit does double damage, we would get an INCREDIBLE 570 damage, with no defensive items or armor. Since the damage is doubled after being reduced by defense, a critical hit from Steve's diamond sword would cause 244 damage to a player with all the armor boosts that they have, and even a player with the +200 health bonus provided by the Lifeforce potion AND the Life Fruit, would still go down in less than 3 strikes, assuming he got all critical hits, and less than 5 from normal strikes.

TL;DR:
Steve is no slouch when it comes to damage and defense. Even at cap health in Terraria, with maximum defense, you'd still go down fairly quickly. Also, with 96% damage reduction, your attacks would barely scratch him, even with weapons that do over 1000 damage with a critical hit.
Maybe it's because Minecraft uses percentages to reduce damage instead of points.

steve, however, sucks at ranged and cant use any magic (other than potions)

Well, let's see. The strongest bow in the game, a Power V bow, can deal 12.5 hearts of damage, which means 250 HP assuming we're using @CraftmasterMatt's conversion. However, the reload rate is rather slow, requiring 3 (I think, it might be 2.5) seconds to reach that damage level. We can boost this up to 15 hearts if we count DoT damage from the Flame I enchantment, or 300 HP.

This puts a high level Minecraft bow on about the same level as a sniper rifle, I'd say.

As for magic, well, Potions of Harming II deal 6 hearts, or 120 damage each, and can be thrown quite rapidly. They also ignore armor, if we decide to carry that over from Minecraft as well.

Excuse me if this was already considered, but I don't understand why you guys are doing calculations regarding how much damage Steve can deal or how much they can lift. The bottom line here is who will win in combat, and I don't see how Steve can honestly win, unless he is in God mode. Terraria's weaponry selection is absolutely ridiculous, with rapid fire machine guns, inhumanly quick throwing weapons (Paladian hammer), laser beams, ice turrents, controllable beams of death, and a ton of crazy stuff. Combine the ability to be a walking arsenal with insane mobility, and you got a guy that can rain death upon an area without ever putting himself near a target. Even if things get dicey, all it takes is for the terrarian to pull out the magic mirror, heal up, then come back for more untill he is killed or victorious, but why would he ever get near Steve when his range game is unbeatable? If Steve doesn't die in like 5 seconds, he'll be brought down under the barrage of weaponry eventually, and the best shot he got at retaliation is a bow that doesn't even have rapid fire.

As for constitution, the maximum health you can have in Minecraft is 10 hearts, without using a temporary +x max health potion. In Terraria, one heart is equal to 20 hit points, so Steve has a total of 200 hit points. The maximum health the player can have, without the temporary effects of the Lifeforce Potion, is 500. Even without the +100 boost that the Life Fruit gives, the Terrarian has twice as much health as Steve.

HOWEVER!

With the Sharpness V enchantment on a diamond sword, Steve does 14.25 hearts worth of damage. Converting that into Terraria means that Steve's sword attack does a whopping 285 damage without defense, and that's not even a critical hit! With a critical hit, Steve does 1.5 times the damage, leading to an ASTOUNDING 420 damage. (insert 420 joke here.) Adding in all the defense that you could possibly have, and Steve's normal attack would do 122 damage, and his critical hit would still do a brutal 257 damage.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The earlier damage calculations (420 damage with a critical hit) were made using Minecraft's critical hit, which does 1.5 times damage but does not ignore defense. If, again, we translated that factor into Terrarian terms, meaning that a critical hit does double damage, we would get an INCREDIBLE 570 damage, with no defensive items or armor. Since the damage is doubled after being reduced by defense, a critical hit from Steve's diamond sword would cause 244 damage to a player with all the armor boosts that they have, and even a player with the +200 health bonus provided by the Lifeforce potion AND the Life Fruit, would still go down in less than 3 strikes, assuming he got all critical hits, and less than 5 from normal strikes.

TL;DR:
Steve is no slouch when it comes to damage and defense. Even at cap health in Terraria, with maximum defense, you'd still go down fairly quickly. Also, with 96% damage reduction, your attacks would barely scratch him, even with weapons that do over 1000 damage with a critical hit.
Maybe it's because Minecraft uses percentages to reduce damage instead of points.

That's assuming Terrarian Heart = Minecraft Heart.

The problem is that such assumption is way too biased. It deliberately ignores an important variable, which is the numeric value of a Minecraft Heart: 2hp per heart.
In that case, I could assume the hearts are equal to their corresponding numeric value according to their respective games. In this case, a terrarian character's HP would be 500. Steve would be 20.

Furthermore, he does NOT deal 14.25 heart's worth of damage with a Sharpness V Diamond Sword. He deals 7.12 heart's worth of damage. In your case, that would be 142.4 damage, which is beyond mediocre compared to the sheer destructiveness of most endgame weapons that Terrarians may possess.

Last edited:
Suweeka said: That's assuming Terrarian Heart = Minecraft Heart.

The problem is that such assumption is way too biased. It deliberately ignores an important variable, which is the numeric value of a Minecraft Heart: 2hp per heart.

I did the conversion based on the fact that it was easier and made more sense to me to convert Minecraft's HP into Terrarian terms so that we could put the damage values into perspective, at least on the side of Terraria. Half of a Minecraft heart is one health point, and half of a regular terrarian heart is 10. To put it simply, the numerical damage values in Minecraft are measured assuming 1 half heart is one hit point. If that was how it worked in Terraria, the maximum hit points we would have, after using all the life crystals we could, would be 40, boosted to 50 if you used life fruit, and boosted to 60 temporarily via the Lifeforce potion.

In short, I'm just working the conversions out. I just felt that it would be easier to understand if I converted the health in Minecraft to the health system in Terraria; after all, they both use hearts and it was quite easy to convert them. (Basically 1 heart = 20 hit points.)

To be honest, I've always wondered what it would be like if the two characters swapped universes; the Terrarian in Minecraft, and Steve in Terraria.

The entire point of not using scientific notation was to show just how massive a number it was. Sorry if that caused any problems with you reading it.

Yep, the Player walks at ~6.9 m/s, while Steve sprints at ~5.6 m/s.
Just put "1x10^5 or 100000" instead of just the raw number, also you can tell 10^20 is a way bigger number than 10^4

A funny thing to note is that while endgame weapons of Steve can deal 200-300 points of damage [according to above assumptions] per shot [which drastically reduces furthermore when calculated by its DPS], a Terrarian can achieve over 3000-6000 DPS with endgame items, especially with the Tsunami.

Mineccraft armor negates more than 90% damage? Easy.

Terraria weapons can never deal less than 1 damage per hit.
Couple that with a Rapid chaingun with crystal bullets and maximized crit mods and you can achieve up to 160 DPS even to extremely armored foes, such as the Dungeon Guardian.

You guys are missing something essential- Steve can move in three dimensional space accessing areas the Player can only dream of reaching. Steve could best the Player in combat simply by stepping out of the 2D plane.

You guys are missing something essential- Steve can move in three dimensional space accessing areas the Player can only dream of reaching. Steve could best the Player in combat simply by stepping out of the 2D plane.
Explosions and homing projectiles would probably be able to reach him.

But remember Terraria is is Parallax Scrolling, which means 2D layered or 2d on top of 2D, also I agree with MegaMage with it being impossible for a 3D character to just step back.

Are....are people really arguing about this? For real? I mean holy :red:, all the rule-changing and loophole-finding here is just ridiculous, and ultimately pointless. You're comparing characters from two very different games, one of which has an emphasis on fighting and becoming stupidly powerful while the other does not. So, why even bother? It just seems like an incredibly petty excuse for people to come and :red:wave about how one is better than the other.

Are....are people really arguing about this? For real? I mean holy :red:, all the rule-changing and loophole-finding here is just ridiculous, and ultimately pointless. You're comparing characters from two very different games, one of which has an emphasis on fighting and becoming stupidly powerful while the other does not. So, why even bother? It just seems like an incredibly petty excuse for people to come and :red:wave about how one is better than the other.

It's fun, and we're bored? Calm down. I don't think anyone here is actually serious or cares who is stronger.

Do homing projectiles not target ANY player character, or just TERRARIAN player characters?
Well, they don't target Terrarian player characters. At all. Still, I find it kind of silly that they would be fighting in a 2D environment. The 2D is just the perspective of the game, after all. It doesn't suggest anything about the way the universe actually works.
Why not just ignore how stupid it is and try having a good time?

Terrarians have mystical armors made of various materials ranging from demonic scales and unholy ores (which is stronger already than the ultra-powerful gold/platinum in the terraria world) to armor made of tortured souls and a nearly indestructable ore-like plant (or plant-like ore) that makes a cannonball tickle.
With spectre armor, I imagine that bullets get cushioned by the souls and then, if they even reach it, are deflected by the chlorophyte that simply just grows back.

Steve can make armor out of gems (which are surprisingly lightweight and strong) and can give it a couple bonuses, i like to think of the enchantments as weak magic coating the armor, automatically changing to stop certain damages, take projectile resistance as an example: I imagine the magic creates a gust of wind to influence the projectile to hit the diamond armor at an angle in which it would have the most resistance to damage.

Back
Top Bottom