Is Terraria 1.3 gonna be having Cross-platform play?

Altimitt-kun

Terrarian
Hello fellow Terrarians! I'm pretty much stoked ever since I saw 1.3's changelog, enable PC Terrarians to take advantage of Steam's system. So I was thinking if there's a chance of getting PC gamers to play with other gamers on other platforms? (PS4, XBOX, Android, iOS, etc) That would be pretty much dope if I can play and share my world to my friend (who's working far away and only has a PSVita as a means to play Terraria). Any reply is appreciated.

I don't think PC players will be able to play with console/mobile gamers anytime soon just because of the difference of content. But I do remember reading that PCers will be able to play with Mac and Linux gamers when those ports become available!

I don't think PC players will be able to play with console/mobile gamers anytime soon just because of the difference of content. But I do remember reading that PCers will be able to play with Mac and Linux gamers when those ports become available!

Oh thanks for the reply. Well, that's kind of a bummer but probably not impossible in the future. Cheers~!

Hello fellow Terrarians! I'm pretty much stoked ever since I saw 1.3's changelog, enable PC Terrarians to take advantage of Steam's system. So I was thinking if there's a chance of getting PC gamers to play with other gamers on other platforms? (PS4, XBOX, Android, iOS, etc) That would be pretty much dope if I can play and share my world to my friend (who's working far away and only has a PSVita as a means to play Terraria). Any reply is appreciated.
And there would probably be licensing issues.

As is said every time this question is asked, no; there's just above zero chance of that ever happening (I'm an optimist).

Although the games look the same and function pretty much the same, they are built very differently and would almost certainly require an absurd amount of work to make them kinda sorta function-ish together. This is demonstrated by the fact that non-PC versions are always six months behind in updates (which is caused by all the content needing to be re-coded to work with non-PC versions). Different versions, by the way, would prevent you from playing together anyways.

There will probably not be cross-platform, first, you'd need 1.3 on consoles and mobiles. And since it takes a while for them to update... There's 1% chance of it happening.

It's a shame, really, but in the modern age, who doesn't have a laptop at the very least??
Honestly speaking, I'm pretty sure most computers made in the last ten or so years can run Terraria. The required specs aren't very high, seeing as I can run 1.3 without any fps/lag issues on a Macbook Air. Despite the game not even having been released for Mac OSX yet.

Kinda weird how Macs tend to run games on higher fps than my PC. Is this why PC gamers don't like Mac?

It's a shame, really, but in the modern age, who doesn't have a laptop at the very least??
Honestly speaking, I'm pretty sure most computers made in the last ten or so years can run Terraria. The required specs aren't very high, seeing as I can run 1.3 without any fps/lag issues on a Macbook Air. Despite the game not even having been released for Mac OSX yet.

Kinda weird how Macs tend to run games on higher fps than my PC. Is this why PC gamers don't like Mac?

What an ignorant thing to say. Not everyone has enough use for a laptop to make the expense worthwhile or simply cannot afford the luxury to begin with. Younger kids often simply use family computers instead of having their own, too, which can cause this sort of problem when they travel. Also, lots of poorer people do not have a single computer, much less a more expensive portable version. You'd, I'm sure, be astounded to know that many do not even have homes (yes, I'm talking about within 1st world countries). The privileges you enjoy are not universal, I'm afraid.

Your lag issues could be caused by the relevant specs of your Macbook being better than your PC (you give zero information in that regard), by poor compatibility of some hardware/software, by a bug (or many), or potentially your PC is simply poorly maintained (viruses, lacking driver upgrades, not defragged in ages, dying hardware, etc.). The reason is not, I promise you, because of super amazing Mac engineering.

PC gamers dislike Mac because the same specs cost, generally, a minimum of 2x as much for nothing more than the brand. Also, the hardware options for customization and improving the system are.. severely lacking (read: abysmal at best) as well. Macs have their uses (graphics/music production), but as general/gaming machines they are lacking (again, at comparable price points to other machines). Essentially though, I think the biggest thing people dislike about Mac are its users who seemingly have to bring up how "amazing" their systems are in everything, even forum threads that have absolutely nothing to do with Macs.

Ssshhh, I know this. Please don't take me seriously when I say things about Mac vs Windows, I don't care much for the topic.

As for the laptops, they do come cheaper than game consoles sometimes.

There is no chance. It is very hard to explain it but yea, no chance, because they would need it to make it in the SAME engine. They can't do that because .NET doesn't have cross-platform use. It is only usable in WINDOWS (and MAC). That's why.

its possible soon with console 1.3 they will be perfectly equal so if they add cross platform it should work fine-ish

It's not a content issue (though as of right now it is, once non-PC catches up it won't), but more of a programming issue. They aren't just making the PC Terraria work on console, they're making a new program (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong), which will most likely not work with the PC version. Windows 10 is a different story, it can function the same as the later console (as shown by Minecraft having cross platform multiplayer), so if everyone upgrades to 10 and things are worked out cross-platform could be possible, but I for one am not getting rid of Windows 7 until Microsoft can come out with another one that doesn't have issues.

Back
Top Bottom