Game Mechanics Journey mode: restock button

That would be an improvement, but I'd go a step further and just make stacks of researched items infinite. If you can duplicate them whenever you want, giving you a limited number achieves nothing other than getting you to grind the duplication menu.

That works, too. Maybe only if the item is favorited?

Well, I mean, it really doesn't matter. They would both result in the exact same behavior. The only reason to prefer one over the other would be if one was easier to understand.

In my opinion, the not consuming items method would be easier to understand solely because it resembles mechanisms in other popular games (like Minecraft), so it would be familiar to many people.

Never consuming researched items would add extra clicks when I pull a specific number of tiles to place (e.g. I want to place two chandeliers in this house, so I only take two chandeliers from the duplication menu to avoid having to throw away a full stack afterwards).

Not consuming favorited items and not consuming full stacks are two intuitive ways to do unlimited resource stacks without causing additional problems.

Never consuming researched items would add extra clicks when I pull a specific number of tiles to place (e.g. I want to place two chandeliers in this house, so I only take two chandeliers from the duplication menu to avoid having to throw away a full stack afterwards).

Not consuming favorited items and not consuming full stacks are two intuitive ways to do unlimited resource stacks without causing additional problems.

Actually, I don't think this is the case. If items aren't consumed, you would only have to take out one item to place down two, so the total number of clicks would be the same. For any more than two items, it is better to have items not consumed because you still only have to take out one item.

BTW, can't you take out full stacks in Journey Mode? I haven't played it yet, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The most I have done with it is watch Chippy play it.

Actually, I don't think this is the case. If items aren't consumed, you would only have to take out one item to place down two, so the total number of clicks would be the same. For any more than two items, it is better to have items not consumed because you still only have to take out one item.

Managing inventory and placing items is very fluid and depends on everything being as intuitive as possible to flow well. Even if something isn't faster, it might still be the way that someone naturally uses the inventory. I'm in the habit of clicking twice to take two tiles in the duplication menu and clicking two times to place them because it flows better than clicking a full stack, placing two, and then throwing the stack in the trash even though it takes the same amount of clicks. Because of this, I am naturally inclined to follow the same approach with other small amounts of items, such as when I place two tables this way and then do the same with 4 chairs even though placing more than 2 items this way technically requires more clicks. There are lots of different means to the same end, and the important thing is making sure that everything makes sense intuitively, and taking a certain amount of items with the intention of placing exactly that amount of items and have them naturally cleaned up from the inventory is intuitive.

BTW, can't you take out full stacks in Journey Mode? I haven't played it yet, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The most I have done with it is watch Chippy play it.

You can take a full stack by left clicking or take one at a time by right clicking.

Easily solved: Left click takes an infinite stack, right click functions as it does now and takes a finite number.

Though I feel obligated to point out in your example the number of clicks is the same: Take a stack (click), place two (click, click), throw stack away (click). Or take two (click, click), place two (click, click). Four clicks either way. The more you place, the more clicks you save by taking a stack and then throwing it away. The only time you save a click is if you're only placing one.

Easily solved: Left click takes an infinite stack, right click functions as it does now and takes a finite number.

The proposition was to make items never consume, so I was specifying why making less than a full stack of items infinite would be troublesome.

Though I feel obligated to point out in your example the number of clicks is the same: Take a stack (click), place two (click, click), throw stack away (click). Or take two (click, click), place two (click, click). Four clicks either way. The more you place, the more clicks you save by taking a stack and then throwing it away. The only time you save a click is if you're only placing one.

I acknowledged this:
I'm in the habit of clicking twice to take two tiles in the duplication menu and clicking two times to place them because it flows better than clicking a full stack, placing two, and then throwing the stack in the trash even though it takes the same amount of clicks.

...but the main point I was trying to make was this:
Even if something isn't faster, it might still be the way that someone naturally uses the inventory. [. . .] There are lots of different means to the same end, and the important thing is making sure that everything makes sense intuitively, and taking a certain amount of items with the intention of placing exactly that amount of items and have them naturally cleaned up from the inventory is intuitive.

Back
Top Bottom