Know any good timers?

Vessyl

Terrarian
I've heard you guys are the best in the business. Well, I've got a question for you.

I'm trying to make a series of minigames/challenges in my world as a way to pass the time, but I'm not the greatest at wiring. I'm looking for a way to throw a lever to start a timer, which will open a door, and once the allotted time is out the door closes again. Once this occurs, I want to immediately be able to throw the lever to try again.

So I already found one method of doing this, but it isn't terribly consistent. Using a crab statue or similar, I spawn in a crab and let it walk over to a pressure plate. The plate closes the door and kills the crab. However, the crab often gets distracted and tries tracking me instead of going to the plate. A goldfish in just enough water worked too, but moved far too fast. Are there any better, more consistent statues to use that I missed?

Upon research, I also tried hooking together multiple 5 second timers, but I have no idea how to deactivate the last one, and it just resulted in the door opening and closing every five seconds until I intervened. If there's no good statue for the job, I need a way for the last timer to deactivate once it's finished closing the door. The only way I could think of doing something like this is triggering a massive explosion, wiping out the whole mechanism. This, of course, is a sub-optimal solution at best.

That sums up my thought process thus far, and I figured the next best step was asking here. Any solution is welcome, as I'd like to expand my knowledge of mechanics as a whole, whether or not I end up using it in this particular contraption. Thanks!

For timer that turns itself off, setup a logic gate(any should work) with a single(not faulty) lamp on top. Wire timer to the lamp with one wire color, and gate back to timer with another wire color.
If you have too many wire colors nearby and can't spare two colors, same color will probably also work, but will(probably) produce smoke, although functioning just the same(again, probably, didn't start up terraria to test).
If you still want to use statues, try honey instead of water, it'll slow npcs down more.

Awesome, thanks! I'll be sure to try both of these out. I never considered the honey, I really like that idea!

Back
Top Bottom