Lava on water in 1.3?

Knightfury

Terrarian
So, this used to be possible. If you got the lava to spread thin enough it would happily end up....floating on water (like a 1 pixel high "pool" of lava on top of the water).
This seems to not be possible now in all the ways I know of at least. Anyone have a working method or have physics improved so this travesty of nature can no longer occur? :)

Here is how it used to work:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/lava-on-water-guide.78041/

Platforms no longer work. I haven't tested with statues or furniture, though statues can still survive sitting in lava as long as they're placed before the lava goes in. The new trick (and one that doesn't seem likely to get a fix, given the nature of it) is use actuated blocks in place of platforms. Because the game reads there's already a block in place, it passes over the make-this-into-obsidian step, and you can get all three liquids layered as long as you adhere to the water-honey-lava order (honey optional). Testing this technique myself, the game will not allow more than a single liquid type per block, so if you have a half block worth of water, it won't fill the rest of the block with lava and will instead have it float in the next block up. (Note I haven't tested since 1.3 was released, so this may have changed.)

Hmmm, could you get a single shot up with what you mean? So the lava would occupy the bottom half/line of the deactivated block basically?

I have a (somewhat brief) tumblr post here about it, but the relevant image:

tumblr_inline_nk53iiBsqs1t5bmjw.jpg

Basically, as long as the top row of blocks occupied by the liquid in question is in front of actuated blocks, the liquids won't mix to make obsidian or crisp honey. You can see that somewhat with the top three blocks of honey in the image, which are in front of actuated blocks. I didn't get an image of the floating liquids weirdness (it's easier explained than done, I found), but as long as the space you're working with has actuated blocks as the background, it isn't too hard to do.

Again, I haven't tested this since 1.3, so it may have changed, but you can't deviate from this order in the liquids because any liquid you put in that's out of order simply disappears. That means you can't put water or honey on top of lava, for example.

This was done 5 minutes ago, yes (on 1.3, naturally). The lava isn't disappearing.
I don't suppose you tested with lava on the bottom and water on top? It would be useful to know if they've made a change to how the liquids needs to be ordered for the trick to work. I'd do it, but I'm in the process of moving, so don't have time to actively play and test things. I've already spent more time on the forums today than I reasonably should have. >.>

I don't suppose you tested with lava on the bottom and water on top? It would be useful to know if they've made a change to how the liquids needs to be ordered for the trick to work. I'd do it, but I'm in the process of moving, so don't have time to actively play and test things. I've already spent more time on the forums today than I reasonably should have. >.>
I tried it out with water on top, and.... I can't seem to generate enough water for it to stay on top of the lava. Even if I release a huuge water pool, the water just disappears..

Hmmm...

Lava works, when on top of water.
Honey doesn't work, on top of lava.
Water doesn't work, on top of lava.
Honey works, when on top of water.

Last edited:
Water doesn't work, on top of lava.
Indeed, it's been a very rapid way to 'boil' off entire (underground) lakes of water using only a single bucket of lava and a couple of actuated blocks. You saying that honey vanishes on top of lava too? I can't remember if I tested that before, particularly...

Indeed, it's been a very rapid way to 'boil' off entire (underground) lakes of water using only a single bucket of lava and a couple of actuated blocks. You saying that honey vanishes on top of lava too? I can't remember if I tested that before, particularly...
Yep, honey also "boils" away, at a slower pace.

I didn't even know this was possible to begin with. I always kinda wondered about liquid behavior in actuated blocks, but I never actually did anything with it. I'm gonna have to try this!

Prior reference, done in 1.2 (about 6 months ago): http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/liquids-layering-and-priority.10885/

From what I can tell, the devs didn't touch liquids much other than aesthetic changes (less blockiness in the animation) for 1.3.

Statues and chests (with items inside to be safe) will also let you layer liquids. (Actuated blocks are good for large, contiguous areas.) This last fact has been floating around for a while now.

And on a semi-related note: Lava still pain to get rid of. I want an Obsidian Magic Sponge!

And on a semi-related note: Lava still pain to get rid of. I want an Obsidian Magic Sponge!

Yeah, lava needs a Super Absorbent Sponge equivalent... I guess you could use pumps, but that would take a while, and you won't be getting rid of it, just moving it..

I guess in the end, you'll have thousands of lava buckets for later use, if you decide to go with buckets.

2015-08-14_132850.jpg
In this case honey above lava and water above honey and lava may only disappear without transforming into blocks.
I can describe, but not explain it, `cause there are only one "peace" of each type of liquids.
The scheme is: honey-in-block -> brick -> lava-in-block -> brick -> water-in-block.

Updated: Found!
2015-08-14_154547.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom