Let's Talk About Expert Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a way you can do it:

Fight Plantera, there's a 1 in 50 chance of the Axe dropping. Fight Enraged Plantera, there's a 1 in 25 chance.

Fight EoC in the daytime, 30-87 ores drop, fight the expert version at night and 60-174 ores drop.

etc.

Just a thought.
Code wise, thats a lot harder.
They'll have to make so that when a boss becomes enraged he will change into a different mob, and that would cause a lot of trouble, like restoring its HP multiple times if enraged then calmed.
And if not that, then whats the problem lowering a boss to a small amount of HP then killing t when its enraged?

They'll have to make so that when a boss becomes enraged he will change into a different mob, and that would cause a lot of trouble, like restoring its HP multiple times if enraged then calmed.
And if not that, then whats the problem lowering a boss to a small amount of HP then killing t when its enraged?
There is already an enraged Plantera in the game. Code-wise it's easy, once enraged it stays enraged, or once engaged in its more passive state, it stays that way. For most bosses it would be a day/night thing, simple enough.

The bosses never "change" from state to another, they spawn in either state and stay that way.

Code wise this is very simple. They already use the necessary functionality with quite a few drops.

If weakening before taking the thing to the surface is a problem, there could be a simple check when it reaches the "surface". If plantera's health is below x, the drop chance doesn't change... Personally I think this would be silly to bother with, but there you go.

With Terraria 1.3 just around the corner and Expert Mode coming with it, I want to talk about it a little. Let's start off with some questions:

What do you feel like it will be like? What kind of unique items do you expect to see? How do you feel about Expert Mode as a whole?

I'm really excited for the health and damage boosts the mobs get. Everything dies so fast normally, even duke fishstick, but on expert mode you cant just click once and forget.

There is already an enraged Plantera in the game. Code-wise it's easy, once enraged it stays enraged, or once engaged in its more passive state, it stays that way. For most bosses it would be a day/night thing, simple enough.

The bosses never "change" from state to another, they spawn in either state and stay that way.
Yeah forgot to mention why that would be required, because his loot drops table is changed.

As the changelog said, there should be greater rewards, maybe in a golden chest you find two rare items. Or bosses have a higher chance of dropping rare stuff.

As the changelog said, there should be greater rewards, maybe in a golden chest you find two rare items. Or bosses have a higher chance of dropping rare stuff.
As far as we know, the greater rewards are obtained from treasure bags dropped by bosses on expert mode worlds.
There maybe more than just taht, maybe there will be more stuff in chests/mob drops! :p

I'm definitely excited for the challenge, and for the inevitable Hardcore+Expert playthroughs that will probably pop up on Yrimir's channel. I'm also excited for the "greater rewards" from killing bosses-I hope the Treasure Bags don't have fixed loot because I love the RNG chance (and it hates me). Seems pretty easy to cheese since it's a world option because you can just insta-OP character in and kill them, but hey, where's the fun in that? I'm betting very few will do it, and I won't-discovery ho!

I'm definitely excited for the challenge, and for the inevitable Hardcore+Expert playthroughs that will probably pop up on Yrimir's channel. I'm also excited for the "greater rewards" from killing bosses-I hope the Treasure Bags don't have fixed loot because I love the RNG chance (and it hates me). Seems pretty easy to cheese since it's a world option because you can just insta-OP character in and kill them, but hey, where's the fun in that? I'm betting very few will do it, and I won't-discovery ho!
What do you mean by "insta-OP"?

I mean using your 1.2 character, for example, armed with Fishron-tier gear, creating the world and just spawning EoC to kill him. Pretty cheese, but takes the fun out of the game entirely.
That would be no different than using a program to give your player stuff, which is dull and pathetic. :p

So what new things have we discovered:

Bosses drop bags which contain their weapon, armor, accessory and material drops which they used to drop normally previously as well as a single unique item per boss.

Eye of Cthulhu drops a shield that allows a charge that gives the player a brief invulnerability while charging. Attacks are possible with the charge, which also increases the knockback of attacks. A good, normal mob accessory.

The Brain of Cthulhu drops a croud control accessory which confuses all nearby mobs when you take damage. Very useful during invasions, as long as you can take the first attack without dying...

The Eater of Worlds drops a Scarf that lowers damage taken by 17%. This accessory will become a staple for tanky players as it greatly increases survivability.

The King Slime drops a unique accessory which makes the character the king of slimes, as such slimes no longer damage the player or recognize him as a threat. Very nice when having fun with slimes or just messing with the slime statue, but not necessary for normal gameplay.

Skelletron drops a handshaped bone thrower which shoots them in a straight line instead of an arch. Unknown if the bones thrown this way count as ammo or as thrown items.

The Queen Bee drops an accessory that makes the bees summoned by the Beesword, BeeGun, WaspGun, Beenade and Honey Cloak and variants become bigger, deal more damage and last much longer. Good if you use said weapons or accessories. Beenades plus this accessory make many enemies a bit easier to handle without danger.

The Wall of Flesh drops the currently best item, a heart that increases the number of accessories you can equip by 1. Many players might create an expert mode world exclusively to obtain this item...

Then there's the seed bag which gives you a random seed and plant upon use in low amounts.

The Fossil Armor that increases the damage of thrown weapons and allows a 75% chance of not consuming the weapon. Awesome if used correctly as well as a new class play option. Several new throwing weapons have been added to the game as well to help this class out!

Money Through, an item that summons a flying pig that acts as a piggy bank. He behaves similar to pets, but won't follow you around, may not affect pets. No longer have to carry platforms or workbenches to place the piggybank!!!!!

(Placed item of name I don't know) which acts like a magic crystal, by increases the melee potential when touched by giving a buff.

Note these are items seen that were not previously showcased in trailers or in messages by the dev team.

I think 'Expert' mode came about because no one really liked hardcore. I am one of the few people who have played through a game with a hardcore character.
It isn't popular because it turns Terraria into a survival horror game and that doesn't really fit the scene.
I look forward to expert mode because softcore characters have no real threat and for veterans are too darn easy - yet it is a pain to lose your stuff with med./hardcore characters.

Almost forgot!

Ice Mirror - a variant or replacement of the magic mirror

CPA and Cellphone - one is the combination of all informational items (old and new). The other one is the combination of the Ice Mirror included into the mix. This means you can have all information-items in your hotbar in the same slot you would normally use for the Magic Mirror anyways.

No wasted space!

(That has definitely got to be the most overly complicated item to make in the entire game with the Ankh Shield in second place unless it got an upgraded form...)

I personally would not want to create a entire 1.3 "non-expert mode" world and finish that just to then try EM later on, I want to know how much of an expert I have to be to make EM seem as a nice experience.

And I don't want to miss out on those expert exclusive items either..

Although I might not have the skills to survive even easymode, when I saw a video of the new EM Skeletron I knew it's gonna be a pain in the arse for me.

But alas, it's going to be a new pain in the arse, one that I am willing to try..

Wood and leaf wand for every wood type!

Staff of Regrowth allows you to get extra plants when you use it to destroy them (daybloom)

Special keys can be placed on empty chests to turn them into mimics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom