Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Any light-source that is thrown on top of a half-height tile (that is, a tile that has been hammered once) illuminates the block irregularly. This works with both glowsticks and thrown torches (as demonstrated below) :

Lighting on slabs 1.png

The tile below the torch is significantly brighter than the surrounding ones, and the light doesn't fade smoothly as it would normally.

-
Here's an Ultra-Bright torch thrown on a regular block for comparison:
lighting on slabs 2.png

It seems to illuminate the block below it to the same degree, but here it smoothly lights up the surrounding blocks, unlike it does on the slab.

-
This bug seems to have been present since 1.3.5 at the very latest, though it may be in earlier versions of the game (tested on 1.3.5.3 using TModLoader)
All screenshots are taken using 'Color' light setting.

Thanks for your time (though apologies as this isn't technically a Journey's End bug)
-Aqui

I don't think this is a bug. On the topic of lighting I just noticed something yesterday. Light in Terraria does not follow a line of sight path for it's radius. It just illuminates a set radius. I was mining in a cave and had a torch on the other side of a wall, almost an enclosed room. On my side of the wall some of the area was lit almost as if the light pierced through the rock.

I don't think this is a bug. On the topic of lighting I just noticed something yesterday. Light in Terraria does not follow a line of sight path for it's radius. It just illuminates a set radius. I was mining in a cave and had a torch on the other side of a wall, almost an enclosed room. On my side of the wall some of the area was lit almost as if the light pierced through the rock.
While I think that that is true, the light doesn't fade slightly as it does normally if it's thrown on to a 'slab' - instead of following regular lighting (the radius you mention) it illuminates the slab it's on top of in particular and the fade isn't applied to the surrounding blocks, as it should be on the regular tiles. I realise now that I should have replaced all the blocks with full blocks for a better illustration of my point, but you can see a difference in how the light expands out from the one point

Back
Top Bottom