Linux Server makes new worlds on restart despite already having a world

Romans

Terrarian
I'm having an issue with a dedicated server on debian. I followed the guide from [linode.](https://www.linode.com/docs/game-servers/host-a-terraria-server-on-your-linode/)
The server works fine, but every time it restarts it creates a new world with the name I set for the world plus a number (eg. potato.wld, potato1.wld, potato2.wld) I don't know what the issue is. I've done some Googling, but I've only found one person with my issue, and they didn't get a decent response.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Here's my configs:

```
world=/srv/terraria/Worlds/potato.wld
autocreate=1
worldname=potato
worldpath=/srv/terraria/Worlds
port=7777
password=fakepassword
difficulty=0
```

If I turn auto create off it just fails to launch.
Using officially downloaded server: terraria-server-1353.zip

Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

I have no way of testing for sure, but, if you take off autocreate AND worldname it should still launch and not create a new world, yeah? Worldname should only theoretically be applicable after the create world command. It wouldn't be needed since you specify the world path and the world file in other commands.

Again, my linux knowledge is surface level, so I apologize if this was incredibly unhelpful or a waste of time. Let me know if that works for you or not.

I fixed it... here's what I did:

1. chown the directory that stores the world data to give ownership to the terraria user ( which it already had, but whatever)

2. Wiped the other worlds out

3. Pasted in a sample serverconfig file and modified the parameters to match my situation

Result:

• first relaunch it made a world called world, despite the world name being set to 'potato' in the config

• Second relaunch created a potato world

• Third relaunch didn't create a new world! Something that I did fixed it. I don't know what, but if anyone's having this issue, try this out.

I used the ServerConfigs from the wiki page. They don't seem to be any different, except that now I have a bunch of comments about what things do. Good luck.
[doublepost=1549427467,1549427347][/doublepost]The server wouldn't launch without the autocreate being on. :/
Thanks for your suggestion though

I'm having an issue with a dedicated server on debian. I followed the guide from [linode.](https://www.linode.com/docs/game-servers/host-a-terraria-server-on-your-linode/)
The server works fine, but every time it restarts it creates a new world with the name I set for the world plus a number (eg. potato.wld, potato1.wld, potato2.wld) I don't know what the issue is. I've done some Googling, but I've only found one person with my issue, and they didn't get a decent response.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Here's my configs:

```
world=/srv/terraria/Worlds/potato.wld
autocreate=1
worldname=potato
worldpath=/srv/terraria/Worlds
port=7777
password=fakepassword
difficulty=0
```

If I turn auto create off it just fails to launch.
Using officially downloaded server: terraria-server-1353.zip

Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Thank you for coming back and posting your solution, this should help linux users that find this thread in the future. Well done.

I had a similar problem. I am using Terraria 1.3.5.3 on an Ubuntu Linux server. I had changed my file name for my world. There are two lines that need to be changed:
Here is the section of my Terrariaserver.txt file:

#WARNING: Environment variables ($HOME, ~) don't work yet, so the stated file will be relatively loaded from "serverfiles" if the given path is relative.
#Change this string if you want to load another map
world=~/.local/share/Terraria/Worlds/world23.wld<--This line

#Creates a new world if none is found. World size is specified by 1(small), 2(medium), and 3(large).
autocreate=3

#Sets the world seed when using auto-create
#seed=AwesomeSeed

#Sets the name of the world when using auto-create
worldname=world23<--- and this line

The first line that is not a comment is the name of the .wld file that the system tries to load. If no world files match the file name and file path of the 'world=' assignment then it will begin the auto-create script. Auto-create will take a lot longer than an existing .wld file to load. The auto-create will save the new .wld file to the file name assigned to 'worldname.' If these two file names don't match the auto-generate script will execute each time the Terraria server is started. This happens since the auto-created .wld file name is not the file name that the server startup script is looking for. The new file will add an additional digit. If world23 is the value of 'worldname', then the new file will be named world231, world232, etc. So, remember to check both lines and make sure the .wld filenames match.

Back
Top Bottom