Load Failed! No backup found.

Inkydink

Terrarian
Hello,

I've been playing on PC for many years now, and this is my first time to run across this issue. I'm on the latest version (1.4.2.3). I created a new character and world about a week or so ago, and I've (shockingly) managed to spend over 40 hours on this new world. However, this morning I tried loading it up and it said "Load Failed!" with a "Load Backup" button, and clicking it just caused it to say "No backup found." The nest time I loaded the game, the world just wasn't showing up at all. I went to the worlds folder and noticed that instead of the typical .wld, .bak, and occasionally .bak2 files, this world had .wld, .bad, and .bak2 files. Also, Windows says the files haven't been modified since early this morning when I last saved and exited. I have no idea what I could have possibly done wrong. I do not have any mods active. I found a thread on this but it hasn't seen much activity lately and it's 2 years old so I figured I should start a new one. That thread also mentioned that new world creation was impacted, but I am not having that issue. Now I have been having a strange glitch with Steam where it will act like I need to reinstall Terraria when I click the desktop icon, but it will "finish" instantly. After this though, Terraria prompts me to pick a language, which it only does on first time setup?? I will attach the world file here (can only attach the original because the others have disallowed extensions). I'm in early Hardmode; just defeated the Pirates but haven't gotten to the mech bosses yet. Thank you so much for reading. This is my first post on the forum so if I made any mistakes let me know.

Attachments

• Waffles_2021.wld
    11.4 MB · Views: 70
UPDATE: I found out about a program called TEdit that allows you to view your world, and I decided I'd try to open my world through there to ensure it wasn't somehow corrupted (but I am on an SSD so mechanical failure shouldn't be the culprit anyways). However, I got a notification: "The world you are attempting to load is 0. Loading this file in TEdit will force-update it to 238. Please make a backup if you intend to use this world with older versions of Terraria. Do you wish to continue?" I considered this odd, as again, I made this world literally 9 days ago. Anyways I clicked "yes"... and nothing happened. At all. Anyways folks I think my save is dead. That really does suck. It's a really neat seed too so y'all can have it. 2 Desert Pyramids!

UPDATE 2: I had an idea, so I went into my files and backed everything up before i went and renamed that .bad file to a .bak file, allowing me to open it in the editor. It said that the save was indeed corrupted due to "invalid chest data" but it said I could force load it, so I did. The entire right half of my world is gone. Tried the same technique with the secondary backup and it did the same thing the main world did. I think I'm screwed y'all.

brother i have the identical problem.i tried everything but nothing works. i have over 500 hours on my world and the half is just gone.even my chests are gone in which i had the zenith too...

There are a plethora of reasons files are missing or get corrupted, it could have been a hardware issue, an operating system issue, a user error, a software conflict or some other software issue. Sometimes it's just plain unavoidable. If you use cloud save please turn it off or manually back up your saves semi-regularly (Say you defeated a boss or just finished your base.) Also advised to always save and exit instead of closing the game by other means such as alt + f4
Check your recycling bin, as corrupted/deleted files can end up there first.
Check the Steam Data Folder: While sometimes the steam cloud can be the very thing to cause the issue, it might also be the very thing that ends up saving you. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\STEAM ACCOUNT NUMBER\105600\remote (the steam account number is going to be a collection of random numbers and it will be different for each person. Most likely you will only see one folder so click whichever one shows up.) and see if your files are there.
Recover your files from the .bak files: Located in Terraria's default save location which is \Documents\My Games\Terraria you should see a worlds and player folder. Click on whichever folder that applies to you and see if there are any .bak files of your old or missing characters. Simply rename the file extension to .plr if it is a player file or .wld if it is a world file.
Revert to a previous version: Sometimes when your character or world gets corrupted the file remains in its respective default save folder but is simply unusable by the game. You can revert to an earlier version of the file so that you don't lose ALL your progress. Using this method some of your progress will still be lost. First navigate to either \Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds or \Documents\My Games\Terraria\Players depending on what kind of file was corrupted. Right click the file and select properties. Now select the "Previous Versions'' tab and see if anything is there. If so, select the version you wish to revert to, click it, and then click restore.
Recreating the character/world: These are 3rd party softwares not owned by Relogic but they are trusted and safe. In the event that all else has failed you can use an inventory editor to help remake your character or TEdit to help remake the world:
Remaking your character: Terrasavr, web-based Terraria profile editor This one is web based and pretty simple to use If you’re having trouble figuring it out there’s a help button in the top right to help explain it’s various features
Remaking a world: This one is a bit more complicated, you are going to need the newest version of TEdit: Releases · TEdit/Terraria-Map-Editor Simply copy the seed and get just the world file, load the file through TEdit, the app will likely inform you that it is corrupted and proceed. When a world is corrupt a chunk of it is missing from the world file like so:
GQWynESRN6zyKu3augEYwETFOQJHvsIhGPuntCrC1tIWxq0fxBVcE2cir7uS_F4Hy7J3V0739vtXp4daJs6TPB2zq3GUTd6jtd8Tjl1Eq_SBXD0mUWYJ55M2v5KucyYWdrevxtVFqdpMHfOqTkZxgB8

(do not close TEdit in this process) When this is the case what you can do is use TEdits select tool (it’s a blue square located on the left side) and select part of the world that still exists, you will then want to create a new world using your old world’s seed and after that load that world up in TEdit, you will then go to your clipboard and paste in the old world’s layout over the new one. When highlighting your world you will want to go from the edge of where it breaks to the top of the world on the opposite side. Just paste the new one over and select the bosses you will have killed and click “Save” in the top left side. Delete your old world files and load up your new world.

Back
Top Bottom