Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Got this after saving and exiting from multiplayer and trying to load into singleplayer. Won't load the world at all, can load into other world and make new worlds no problem. Made a new map, played a few hours, and the same thing happened. Cloud saving was enabled

Would really like to get that world back, spent a lot of time in it the last few days.

I've had almost the exact same experience here. No real oddities occurred in-game besides the game locking for another player while in multiplayer.

The world worked perfectly fine and saved as normal, but when I tried to play singleplayer, it simply gave the "Unable to load world", nor could it find a backup. In the worlds folder (in the documents directory), the main .wld folder seemed to be nonexistent, though a backup did exist, somewhat luckily. The backup loaded by removing .bak from it, however, it's... odd. The backup folder seems to be at least a week old, as it was last modified on May 18th (The world was created on the 16th). My character data is a-okay, as well as the stuff in the piggy bank (which I assume is associated with player data? So no matter).

The backup world is linked below, though I doubt it'll be much useful. The original world file seems to be gone with the wind, at least locally, though it was on Steam cloud, so maybe there's a way to get it back? I've no idea. Regardless, I would love to get the world back, so I do hope it's possible, otherwise, a friend and I are forced to get everything we lost back and such.

It does seem that this is a major issue of 1.4.0.4 based on reports though, which isn't good. If any other info is needed or what else was done in the world that may give help, let me know.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that going from singleplayer to multiplayer worked fine (if I'm remembering it updating before playing multiplayer later on).

Backup world file

Last edited:
Cloud saving also seems to be a bit messed up for me, so I'm avoiding it right now. It just deleted all my character map progress, and trying to load my world to cloud just crashes the game and makes 2 copies of the world.

I'm having similar issues
Every once and awhile Ill load up the game and it will give me the choose your language prompt, like its the first time playing.
Ill still have all my characters and worlds but Ill try and load a world and it fails, telling me to load the backup.
I try to load the backup and my game crashes.
When I load it up again the world is blank no name or anything, and it just loads to a black screen.
This has happened to almost all of my worlds over the 800+ hours I have logged on the game and I've lost a staggering amount of progress.
Bout ready to give up on my favorite game as its just wasting my time at this point

I had the same exact problem, my world files said failed when trying to enter Single Player, after saving out of my last session during Multiplayer.
My world was Cloud saved.
My world is still able to be entered, but all my chests have broken, which is the worst part, all my loot I had collected are now lost.
My NPC's all vanished and signs/gravestones text was deleted.

I made a thread of my own including my world file upload which was reviewed, to be told my world files are corrupted...
One person discovered my map was missing a HUGE area too...

I started a new world been speeding through it, not using Cloud Save, but instead making regular manual backups. Seems to be the safest option right now!

Back